Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DELL computers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DELL computers

Anybody recommend buying Dell computers?
I have been giving the runaround when I call their customer service.
I wouldn't recommend them just based on their service.
Ordering the computer is fine, but once you call them for anything else forget it.
I have story, but I would like to hear what others think first.
Old 05-13-05, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dell uses proprietary parts and you are forced to use Dell parts if and when you decide to upgrade. Say you want to upgrade to a new processor. Dell uses a proprietary motherboard that takes only Dell non-standard power supplies. So you are forced to buy a new mobo from Dell. And their cases, while nice, are also non-standard and won't accomodate off-the-shelf mobos.

They screwed me on an extended warranty that I bought for my business computer. Refused to honor it after my 6-mos old Dell PC burned up when they learned from the tech they sent out that I had one stick of non-Dell RAM in it (horrors!). Yes, technically I voided the warranty by using a non-Dell part but it's not as though the RAM caused the burn out (actually it was the cheap ass Dell power supply that was at fault according to the tech).

So I hate Dell and I have steered several family members and office people away from them.
Old 05-13-05, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to guess you'll get differing viewpoints. I bought from them in '99 and my computer chugged along wonderfully for six years. Just bought a new one last month from Dell. Computer seems fine, but yeah, their service seems to have declined a bit.
At least phone support. I also ordered some speakers from them with a 3 day shipping confirmation that has turned into a six week backorder. Sucks.
Old 05-13-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're the kind of person that upgrades motherboards, processors, etc. rather than simply buying a new machine, Dell probably isn't the place for you.

I've had my two Dell towers for over three years now and both have worked near flawlessly (the hard drive that came with one went out a couple of months ago, but I replaced it myself with no problems). I also have a Dell laptop that's almost a year old that's worked perfectly.

I've never called the tech support. I don't buy extended warranties. I've not ordered any accessories from them. So, I couldn't comment on how well those things work. Like with any manufacturer, every once in a while someone is going to get a bum machine. Personally, I will buy from Dell again and am incredibly happy with them (the machines have worked better than any other premade computer I've ever had, and I've had quite a few). I would recommend them to anyone based on my own experience.
Old 05-13-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I have had no problems with Dell so far. I used to build my own computers, but decided against it this time around. I just don't have as much time for playing around with it as I used to. The only thing I've done to mine so far is throw more RAM in there. But it has run beautifully for 2 years now. Haven't had to deal with their customer service so far. They do run great deals occasionally. I got mine when they were doing their free shipping and free flat panel monitor upgrade promotions. Pretty sweet.
Old 05-13-05, 06:11 PM
Banned

After having bought a pc from them it took 4 weeks to have it fixed.
Althought they did offer an exchange, but after the runaround I was given I didn't trust them. I worried that I would be charged again.
You see they have service reps on the phone that don't speak the best of english and so when you call them and explain your problem they transfer you to one deptment which then again transfers you back to where you were at. And of course that's not counting the transfer disconnections and waiting which when the explaination is done I've been on the phone for 2 hours.
Old 05-16-05, 02:13 AM
MGR

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
Dell uses proprietary parts and you are forced to use Dell parts if and when you decide to upgrade. Say you want to upgrade to a new processor. Dell uses a proprietary motherboard that takes only Dell non-standard power supplies. So you are forced to buy a new mobo from Dell. And their cases, while nice, are also non-standard and won't accomodate off-the-shelf mobos.
Question re: Dell's proprietary parts. Does anyone know if the hard drives are proprietary in Dell desktops?
Thanks
Old 05-16-05, 06:35 AM
Banned

How's GATEWAY compared to DELL?
Old 05-16-05, 11:35 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigDan
If you're the kind of person that upgrades motherboards, processors, etc. rather than simply buying a new machine, Dell probably isn't the place for you.
That pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Tech geek=stay away from Dell

Regular user who will upgrade nothing but maybe RAM=Dell a good deal most of the time.
Old 05-16-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
How's GATEWAY compared to DELL?
Gateway uses standard parts, but their OEM version of Windows is locked to that hardware. If you update the motherboard or any other "major" component, your will have to repurchase/upgrade Windows. Neither Gateway nor Microsoft will help you out.
Old 05-16-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MGR
Question re: Dell's proprietary parts. Does anyone know if the hard drives are proprietary in Dell desktops?
Thanks
I don't remember what brand of Hard Drive was in the Dell that had the hard drive die on me, but I replaced it with an off-the-shelf Maxtor drive, and it works great.

The other machine says the hard drive that came with it is a Maxtor drive (and I added a 2nd Maxtor drive a year-or-so ago).
Old 05-21-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

had a family member buy a dell laptop in 1998 that I sold on ebay last year in good condition. Only thing is the USB port didn't work right, but that was only noticed after the warranty ran out.

I have three Dell's at home now. The first is my week old Inspiron 6000 that was delivered one week after I placed the order. The other two are desktops that were purchased around 1998 that are still working with no problems.

I work in IT and have been calling Dell and HP tech support for years in many countries. The secret is to follow their script. I know more than the tech people on the phone, but you have to follow the script. If I don't have time then I lie to them only if I know what the result is going to be. I have been on the phone with HP server support people from Colorado and they still make you follow a script. If you follow the script then your call will be faster and less stressful. At least for hardware problems where a part is bad. If you have a software problem like spyware then you are out of luck.

As far as proprietary parts, don't buy a Dell if you plan on replacing the power supply. Buy a Dell if you want a PC you can use for a few years and not worry about rebuilding it. If you put in third party upgrades, don't tell them when you call.
Old 05-21-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have owned three Dell PC's recommended three more to friends and family. I have never had a problem with their customer service and have upgraded all of my PC with no problems at all. I have never purchased any parts from Dell when I have upgraded.
Old 05-21-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

my last job i supported Dell's for around 140 people

in the year I was there I called in 2-3 bad motherboards and a bad monitor. not a bad average. Even though I worked for a major Dell account that employed around 30,000 people and the support was US based, there was still the playing the script game.