Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Ordered From DVD soon.com?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-29-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's a Canadien site but I was wondering if the dvd's are any different than the U.S. versions. For example I was looking at Apollo 13 2 disc and it's only 12.77 but it says there's French Subtitles but looking at the U.S. versions on the back it also says theres french subtitles. I know some canadien dvd's have french writing and what not on the front or back and I'd prefer if it didn't. DOes anyone have any first hand expereince on if there are any dvd differences? Thanks.
Old 04-29-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a few DVDs sold in Canada that may vary dramatically from US versions. The Canadian version of the Pianist for example differed from the US version in several ways. First it was a multiple disc set with extras not found on the US copy, and it included a CD soundtrack. However it also used an inferior transfer from a PAL source that is horrible compared to the NTSC US transfer. But as you alluded the most common difference is bilingual packaging (not all studios use it) with French and English writing, other then that it should be the same DVD in most cases with a few exceptions like the example noted. Also if you haven't purchased from DVDSoon before I recommend searching the bargain and store forum first before placing an order.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 04-29-05 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-30-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just put in another order with them yesterday for some of the "getting harder to find" mgm midnight movie double features. in the case you describe look in the synopsis of the dvd feature for a small "vf" which usually indicates that the version is different in some way (ex. packaging, features, subtitles etc) from the "regular" region 1 us release.

if you do decide to order from them don't forget to use coupon code:

SEARCHMA05

which expires shortly, to save another 10%

Last edited by dollfins1; 04-30-05 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-30-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So basically you need to double check each dvd one plans to order if you're not a fan of the bilingual package.