Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Borders' prices...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Borders' prices...

Old 02-09-05, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borders' prices...

Hello all,

I just got back from my journey to see if any stores around me had The Greatest American Hero out yet on DVD. Unfortunately, Best Buy did not.
I also was out to try and find Degrassi Junior High on DVD, and to my surprise they had it in stock even though their website said no, not available in my store. It was 28.99, and although DeepDiscountDVD has it for 21.86, I bought it. I had a $10 giftcard from Christmas so I actually made out there.

I decided to hit Borders since I wasn't ready to go home... grab some Chai, scare away females, the usual. To my surprise, they actually had it in stock, right in front of me. $29.99 though! DeepDiscount has it for $17.99. If only damn Best Buy had it out. I couldn't wait, since I want to watch it TONIGHT, so I bought it. Oh yeah, I also bought Prince: Cinnamon Girl CD single.

We all know Borders is way overpriced when it comes to boxed sets, but I did some comparisions just because I was bored silly. They have SCTV box sets for their MSRP of $89.99! Best Buy has them for $65.99, and DDD must have them for even less than that. Little House on the Prairie boxsets were $39.99, $10 more expensive than DDD. And the Star Wars Trilogy was priced at $79.99.... unbelievable since Walmart across the street has it for $42.99 I believe.

As usual they didn't have the Woody Allen movies I'm missing from my collection (Zelig, Midsummer's Night Sex Comedy, Husbands and Wives, Deconstructng Harry)... but in the end I got both items I wanted to didn't overspend too much since I did use my $10 gift card at Best Buy.

Lou
Old 02-09-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the thing about borders is.... they usually charge the msrp for most titles....except most 19.99 msrp titles are 14.99. You have to take advantage of the sales they do...like the buy 3 get one free deal thats going on now. There is also a ten percent off coupon in the bargains thread that you can use on top of this. They had a 25 percent off coupon for any item most of last month....check the bargains forum before you shop their.

also they do special orders without taking a deposit. so just order the films you are missing. I have had a lot of good luck getting titles that are OOP from borders. you can actually even place the special order online and get it sent to your local store...so you don't even have to leave the house.

no doubt better deals are out there....but when a good sale hits, or you need an OOP title check them out
Old 02-09-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I usually have good luck with Borders as long as I'm not buying any new releases.

They are a over priced on new releases and boxed sets but if you're looking for old titles you can usually find them there and for a good price.

Oh and their Criterions are usually about $5.00 cheaper than anywhere else!
Old 02-09-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use to shop at Borders once every week...for obscure titles. I really don't mind paying a little more for good sevice and a little customer respect. I may get something cheaper at BB...but usually go through a little hell to have it. It all evens out in the end. As was mentioned, Borders is a great place to do a special order. You pay nothing until it arrives...and all this can be done on-line. I'm called the "DVD Man" around my local store....and even get a free cup-o-Joe when I've been in. They know how to keep a good customer happy.

I just have had no time for retail shopping(local) of late....so I'm sticking to my on-line sources.
Old 02-09-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borders is not the place to go for new releases or box sets, but they usually have very good prices on catalog titles. Also, they stock more than just the mainstream titles (I picked up the Criterion release of Brian De Palma's Sisters a few weeks back). Right now, they're having a "buy 3 DVDs, get one free" sale, which is a good deal if you pick up four catalog titles or Criterions that are all roughly the same price.
Old 02-11-05, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I no longer work there...

My helpful hints thread from a while back.