Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy coupon policy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy coupon policy

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy coupon policy

Wanted to get some opinions from you guys about my Best Buy experience tonight. Stopped by my local store to pricematch the Fry's ad offer of Thunderbirds/Two Brothers for $14.99. The Two Brothers DVDs in the store have a on-pack sticker coupon good for $5 off if you buy Two Brothers together with Thunderbirds. Went up to the cashier and had no problem with the supervisor approving the price match, as others have noted doing successfully in the DVD Bargains forum. I then pull the coupon off and the supervisor refused to accept it, saying Best Buy does not accept coupons on any sale items. I pointed out this was a manufacturer coupon that they can send in and get reimbursed from the manufacturer for, and was not the same as the store coupons where Best Buy takes a loss and thus has restrictions, so I didn't understand the restriction. The supervisor claimed this was store policy and that they never accept a coupon for any item on sale in the store. This apparently has nothing to do with the fact that I price-matched but rather that the item was marked down in any way. The supervisor said the coupon said on it in the standard coupon disclaimer text area "not good with other offers or promotions" and that a sale price is always considered a special offer so the coupon does not apply. He said if I didn't like it, I could just go buy those titles at Fry's. What do you guys think of this? I realize it was nice of them to match the bundle 2-pack price for 2 separate titles, but this seems their standard policy and was not an issue in my conversation with the supervisor. Should I try to complain to someone to get the coupon applied retroactively or did I get a good enough deal and should leave this alone? It just seems to me their policy is the equivalent of a grocery store not accepting a coupon for Coke if Coke is on sale that week in the store. Doesn't that seem wrong? It's not like it costs the store anything. They just send it in and get the check from the manufacturer. Why not allow the customer to get the savings?
Old 02-01-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know why they or he wouldn't accept the coupon. Now I have known that when PM'ing to another store a company will not match price and financing. That is called "double dipping." In other words, Best Buy could match Fry's price on a HDTV but not give you BB's financing offer or Fry's because they are already marking the price down on the HDTV. It's always one or the other.

In your situation they should have accepted the coupon but they do not have to if they choose not too because they already gave you a discount when giving you the PM. What you can or should have done was buy the dvd's full price and use the coupon, then go to customer service to PM to Fry's.
Old 02-01-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In this case, Best Buy is stupid. They should've refused your PM cuz you PM'ed a bundle pack. Best Buy probably paid somewhere in the $16 range for each DVD. They probably paid the same price for the bundle. Taht said, they're taking about a $16 or so loss on that transaction.

If they were smart, they would've accepted the coupon, but refused the PM.