Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Returning sealed DVD to Best Buy w/out receipt...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently ordered a DVD from Amazon and I want to return, and have never opened it at all, completely sealed. If I go into best buy and claim it was a gift and the person said it came from Best Buy, think theyd let me do it?
Old 01-27-05, 10:42 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You were 3 days too late. BB stopped processing holiday (no-receipt) returns after 1/24.

Since you ordered from Amazon, you can still return it to them, can't you?
Old 01-28-05, 12:38 PM

Considering Best Buy carries the title, I don't really see why this is a problem or some kind of fallacy on my part. True, I didn't spend the money in the first place at BB to buy it, but theyre going to re-stock it and sell it anyway.
Old 01-28-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because Best Buy is in the business of selling DVDs, not buying them. Also, you would be perpetrating a fraud. Didn't your mother teach you not to lie?
Old 01-28-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I don't think they will. I got a fullscreen DVD as a gift (with no receipt) and Best Buy wouldn't let me exchange it. They said I needed the credit card it was bought with so they could look it up, or the receipt.
Old 01-31-05, 09:26 AM

It all depends on which Best Buy store you go to (ie. the intellect of the person working at the return booth). In Miami, there's about 5 Best Buys within a 5 mile radius. I've received DVDs I didn't want as gifts, and I've tried returning without a receipt at 2 stores, neither took it. Then at the third one, they said 'no problem, go pick something else out for the same price or for more and pay the difference' so I did. There's been a few times where there's been a free DVD with the purchase of another, and I've had no problem going back there 3 months later and returning the free DVD for its now full price for a credit. Not that I'm saying you should take a product from Amazon and return it at BB, but if you do have a product from BB and one store won't take it w/o a receipt, try another one.
Old 02-01-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fliggil
It all depends on which Best Buy store you go to (ie. the intellect of the person working at the return booth). In Miami, there's about 5 Best Buys within a 5 mile radius. I've received DVDs I didn't want as gifts, and I've tried returning without a receipt at 2 stores, neither took it. Then at the third one, they said 'no problem, go pick something else out for the same price or for more and pay the difference' so I did. There's been a few times where there's been a free DVD with the purchase of another, and I've had no problem going back there 3 months later and returning the free DVD for its now full price for a credit. Not that I'm saying you should take a product from Amazon and return it at BB, but if you do have a product from BB and one store won't take it w/o a receipt, try another one.
remember, you can only do this 3 times per year. They're most lenient after Christmas (usually until 1/24/Year). Different stores have different rules. Some stores won't let you return anything, some stores will let you return one item per transaction, some stores will set a $ value limit (e.g. up to $100), and some stores will allow you to return as much as you want.
Old 02-01-05, 03:21 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you know if the 3 times per year limit is per calendar year?
Old 02-01-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eau
Do you know if the 3 times per year limit is per calendar year?
no idea