Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

find rental copies of AVP or Sky Captain at BBV?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went to two BBV's about 5 minutes from each other tonight to rent AVP and Sky Captain. both stores had all copies rented out. not that interesting, i usually rent on tuesdays to make sure i get what i want. however what shocked me was that each store had about 5 or 6 copies of AVP and 6 copies of SKY! next to SKY was a entire shelf unit dedicated to holding about 48 copies of Troy...

how in the world could BBV only carry a handful of copies of AVP and Sky? i don't know that box office figures but i thought both were sucessful and would of a high rental expectations. and wasn't troy a bomb?
Old 01-26-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sky Captain did poorly domestically at the Box Office. Troy may have been a "bomb" in regards to making back it's budget from it's domestic take (did fine world wide), but it still made far more then either Sky Captain or AvP, and a much bigger and hyped film with a bigger star in Brad Pitt.
Old 01-27-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went to BBV today looking for Sky Captain and they only had about 15 copies which were all out. So I got Open Water instead, and surprisingly they carried at least 40 copies of that. I thought Sky Captain would be a popular rental, title but apparently BBV didn't think so. They might be cutting back on the number of copies for new releases so they aren't stuck with as many in the previously viewed section.
Old 01-27-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i suppose AVP and SKY did well all told. i know neither were wildly successful, but i would of thought they would be big rental titles. i was more suprised by them having so little copies of a new relase that was theatrical, made money, and both titles have had alot of dvd advertising. 15 copies seems decent and would be about what i would of suspected, but 6? that's ridiculous. i also noticed at the second store they had about 20 or so copies of Open Water.
Old 01-27-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My local Blockbuster had a lot of copies of Alien Vs. Predator, not as many as Troy, but at least 30 copies.
Old 01-31-05, 02:07 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Just because a movie is 'good' dosnt mean Blockbuster will carry 100+ copies. Why? Demographics and the studios play a huge part. Studios cut them a deal if they buy more copies. If its not a huge movie, and the studios don't cut the price if you buy more then 30+ copies, they simply won't. Its all tracked in the computers. If a certain blockbuster rents a ton of Johnson Family Vacation then they will receive more 'african american' movies in the future (cookout). The fact that my blockbuster receiving 15 copies of Dawn of the Dead and 120 copies of White chicks just makes me cry.
Old 01-31-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same problem at my local BBV. Even the guy behind the counter said that they did not get enough copies of these.
Old 02-01-05, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
I've been trying to rent Sky Captain for about week now on my movie pass. My store has about 15 copies and they're always out (and I've heard lots of people ask about it.) Like your store, mine has many, many copies of Troy--maybe 50. Go figure.
Old 02-01-05, 01:19 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
50 of Troy? Mine had 220!
Old 02-01-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NONE of the 5 BBV stores in Kansas city that I went to had the Metallica: Some Kind of Monster Doc. for rental. They claim because it was a general interest title....pleeeeeease, they carry about every recent political doc and commercial doc title.