Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Wal Mart DVD rentals...share your experiences

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-22-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally posted this thread in the DVDTalk forum, but saw the Netflix thread here and decided this might be a better place for it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing problems with Netflix lately.

I've been a Netflix member for about a year now, and I love it. Excellent selection, excellent site design. However, shipping times have dramatically slowed lately in my neck of the woods (Arkansas). It used to be that it would take two days for Netflix to receive my disks and another two days for me to receive new disks. That meant I would ship out on Monday and have new dvds by the Friday. Ever since November, however, it's been taking 3-4 days each way. That means I ship on Monday and don't receive new disks until the following Monday or Tuesday. I was hoping the Christmas holidays were slowing things down and things would return to normal in January, but so far that has not been the case. I hate to drop Netflix, but having dvds every other weekend is not cost effective.

What is your experience with Wal Mart's service? Do you know if they have a home base in Arkansas? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I received horrible service from Blockbuster. It would take 6 days to receive my rentals, 6 days for Blockbuster to credit my returns, and another 6 days to receive my next 3 rentals.

Netflix was better. It would take 3 days to receive my rentals, 3 days for Netflix to credit my returns, and another 3 days to receive my next 3 rentals.

My first 2 DVD rentals from Wal Mart shipped today...I'm curious to see how fast and reliable their service is.
Old 01-22-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used their free month trial and i got 2 new dvds every 5 days..and that was going from NY to RI
Old 01-22-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by namrufmot
I used their free month trial and i got 2 new dvds every 5 days..and that was going from NY to RI
How is their selection and availability and what do you think of the layout of the site?

Does that five days include sending dvds back to them and receiving new ones?
Old 01-23-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went ahead and signed up for a 30-day free trial, so we'll see. I certainly don't like the layout of the site nearly as well. It's very bare bones: no member reviews, no professional review, no links, no specs, nothing. Also, you have to add one disk at a time, even in series. You can't "add all" with series disks like you can with Netflix. Availability sems to be about the same so far. Everything that said "long wait" with Netflix said "long wait" with WM, so we'll se how that turns out.

The pricing is about the same. 3 out with Netflix is $17.99; 3 out with WM is $17.36. However, WM allows an upgrade to 4 out for $21.94 whereas Netflix's next upgrade is 5 out for $29.99. I've always hated that it's such a huge jump in price.

The layout definitely sucks, though. I'll let you know about receiving times. I'm still looking for others' experiences if anybody wants to chime in.
Old 01-23-05, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Signed up for WalMarts free month. Went to add movies in my que. Realized they do not carry any unrated edition of movies. Final step was the cancel button.
Old 01-23-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well that sucks.
Old 01-23-05, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not only does Wal-Mart not carry 'un-rated' editions...they only carry full-frame versions of some films. (available elsewhere in widescreen)
Old 01-23-05, 11:18 PM

I've always liked netflix, but I did try walmart for a couple of months & the service was pretty fast. However as many have mentioned they didn't have all of the movies I was looking to rent & I do really like to read the member reviews on netflix.
Old 01-28-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Update:

Wal Mart shipped out my first two titles. Took two days. I'll send back at least one Monday and let you know how that goes.

In the meantime, Netflix shipped Shaun of the Dead to me on a Tuesday, and I finally received it the following Monday. I immediately returned it at 7:30 Monday morning at the post office (I ended up renting it from a B&M over the weekend), and Netflix didn't post it returned until Friday. Ugh!

I emailed Netflix, and of course they said they have no control over the postal service. I find it a little odd that the "postal service" has slowed so considerably right about the time Netflix posts huge membership increases. They gave me a 25% reduction in next month's bill, so I'll give it another month and see if things improve. I'm really bummed because I don't want to give up Netflix, but 5-6 days each way? Come on!
Old 02-01-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Update: Sent back two movies to WM Monday. They received them today (Tuesday) and have already shipped two more to me.

In the meantime, I also shipped two Nteflix movies at the same time. No word from them yet. Last time it took a week. We'll see what happens this time.

Netflix's site is better designed, and they don't try to protect me from unrated movies, but one day is a hell of a lot better than 5 or more days each way.
Old 02-01-05, 05:40 PM

My nearest distribution center is in upstate New York (forgot what town) for my Walmart free membership. During the whole month, I received 12 DVDs (and 2 of them was the same movie but different version).

I ordered Predator Collector's Edition disc 1 and 2 and first got Predator (Widescreen DTS) instead. I filed a complaint about wrong version and they sent Predator Collector's Edition disc 1 but not disc 2. Then, their website no longer has Predator Collector's Edition for rent so I can't out rent disc 2.

Too bad Blockbuster doesn't have the Collector's Edition for rent. I think I'll try to rent disc 2 from Netflix along with The Hole (Kiera Knightley) since they have it.