Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Opinion Question

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Opinion Question

Old 01-11-05, 06:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon Opinion Question

I buy most of my DVDs at Best Buy or Circuit city not online but I just noticed that amazon has Dark Angel Season 1 for $14.99 and the X-files season 1 for 34.99. A great deal but I have a question are there a lot of problems with DVDs damaged in shipping? How difficult are returns particularly since I dont have a printer right now? Any feedback would be helpful before I make my decision.
Old 01-11-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never had an Amazon-ordered DVD damaged in shipping, and I've ordered quite a few. IIRC, the return-related stuff is something you cut off from the invoice that's included in the packaging, so there's no need for a printer for returns, I don't think.

But I've never had to return anything to Amazon (or Deep Discount DVD, for that matter - the other online DVD retailer I've purchased quite a few discs from).
Old 01-11-05, 06:34 PM

I've ordered several times from Amazon and I've never had a series damaged unless it was one that was known to have universal problems (Star Trek TOS: Season 1).
Old 01-11-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've ordered hundred of DVDs from Amazon and only had to return 4 that were damaged, and 3 of those were Walt Disney Treasure tins that were dented. But if you need to return something Amazon is probably one of the best online stores for doing exchanges or returns. It is easier if you have a printer to print a return label but I think they will send a pre-paid label by mail if asked. I should also mention they ship replacements before receiving the returned item, which really helps speed up the overall process.
Old 01-11-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I buy about 5 a month from Amazon, and they are top-notch in my book.
Old 01-11-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
The copy of Ultraviolet I ordered from Amazon had a flaw and they sent me a free shipping label so I could make an exchange at no cost (it was a manufacturing defect, not something from shipping--just weird pixelation that couldn't be explained by dust or scratches on two tracks). I've ordered many dvd's from them, and that was the only problem I've ever had.
Old 01-12-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amazon has very good customer service, and they have the best packaging that I've received. There several places that I won't buy box sets from because I know there is 50/50 chance that it will arrive damaged, but I've never had a problem with Amazon.
Old 01-12-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only had 1 set, a BTVS set actually, get damaged in shipping. It was all crushed like someone had jumped up and down on it before putting it in the box. The shipping box was fine, so I can only assume the damage was done before shipping. Amazon took it as a return w/ no problems whatsoever.
Old 01-12-05, 01:25 PM
3Js

Use The Share The Love Feature

Use the Share The Love feature on this site to save 10% on purchases. Click Here For DVDTalk STL

With Free Shipping over $25 it makes for some great deals.
Old 01-12-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No problems here, and I've had about 6 or 7 box sets from them within the past few months.
Old 01-12-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I don't buy a lot from Amazon, but they probably back dvd's the best of anyone I've ordered from.
Old 01-12-05, 03:24 PM
Banned

I've ordered a lot of DVD's from Amazon, and have had no problems at all with them being damaged. Everything has been great.
Old 01-16-05, 01:41 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Experience with Amazon.com has been positive so far. Sometimes I received damaged DVDs from them (mostly dented Disney tins and collector boxes). However, they are one of the best in replacing them, as long as they have the item in stock.
Old 01-17-05, 11:14 PM

I have been buying from Amazon since May '04. Usually boxes I received just had shelf wear or a scratch. I may be picky, but I'm not that picky so that's never really bothered me. I ordered 2 sets each of the Buffy, Angel & Roswell S1's on sale for $14.99 in Oct. I ordered 2 sets to give the others as gifts to my sister. Now that they're having the sale again I, ordered 2 dark angels for $14.99 a piece. When I opened them one set was fine, while the other set was missing disk 5. I was kinda freaked out & upset. But I had never had a problem with Amazon before. When I went to the site it told me to print out the return label to ship the set back. However, I don't currently have the money to shell out for printer ink. I emailed Amazon & explained this & they said that they would send a postage paid label out to me within 1-2 weeks. They also said they would be shipping a replacement set immediately. To my surprise I received the replacement 2 days later. I haven't received the label yet, but it's only been 5 (working) days so far since then. So, even though I was initially upset I will continue to order from them. They quickly resolved my problem. I even received an email back from them within hours dealing with my situation.
Old 01-18-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Emma311
To my surprise I received the replacement 2 days later.
That's another thing I like about dealing with Amazon for returns. They bump the replacement shipping method up a notch (Super Saver -> 2 day, 2 day -> Overnight).