Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Can you use gift cards online @ best buy

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-16-04, 11:22 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to purchase something for in-store pickup because they are having a special online (PS2 Greatest Hits 2/$30)...I had wanted to use a gift card that I've had, but not sure if its possible online. Anyone know?
Old 12-16-04, 12:24 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No. You can't use a gift card online.
Old 12-16-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

as eau said, the big super-duper "we're the coolest place to buy everything electronic" hasn't figured out that people want to use their gift cards online ..it sucks really...
Old 12-18-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pilot
as eau said, the big super-duper "we're the coolest place to buy everything electronic" hasn't figured out that people want to use their gift cards online ..it sucks really...
That, or the fact that BestBuy does not own the network that handles their giftcards could be part of the fact. BestBuy gift cards are American Express stored value cards and perhaps American Express does not want to deal with BestBuy and their website to accept the cards and only wants to deal with the stores.

Last edited by dvd-fanman; 12-18-04 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-18-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[QUOTE=Rockmjd23]
Originally Posted by pilot
, the big super-duper "we're the coolest place to buy everything electronic" QUOTE]

i must have missed that ad campaign
that was my attempt at humor..anyways ..for a store that always says it has the latest technology or whatever ...seems silly they don't allow giftcards online, but as the post above mine indicates, they may not allow gift cards due to not owning the network, but you would think as a convenience to its customers they would work out some sort of agreement, or find a new company that they could support gift cards online..
Old 12-21-04, 01:37 PM
Retired

Indeed, plus unless there's no BB in your town, it's silly to order online and pay shipping now that the free shipping offer is no more.

In store pick up usually takes me longer than just grabbing it off the shelf myself and paying at the register, so that's no better.
Old 12-22-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dumb policy. Just finding this out.
Old 12-30-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If there is something that you really want that is online only, just buy it then return it to the store and explain that you want to use your GC.
Old 12-30-04, 11:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
If there is something that you really want that is online only, just buy it then return it to the store and explain that you want to use your GC.
Then you end up paying the shipping cost on top of the tax ...

BB doesnt make it easy for us ...
Old 12-31-04, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
The problem I've run into in the past is that Best Buy will run certain promotions online that they don't have in their stores. For example, many times you can pre-order a new release online and receive a $5 gift card, whereas you don't have that option in the store.

I too don't understand why it's so difficult for Best Buy to allow us to use their gift cards online. However, I gave up on trying to figure out Best Buy's policies years ago after they claimed that Bestbuy.com was a different store than Best Buy B&M, even though I can order from their website and pick my purchase up in the store.

Go figure.
Old 02-03-05, 03:31 PM

Has anyone tried to return something as RockStrongo suggested above? I, too, have a gift card and want to use it on an item that's available online only.

I've been calling different Best Buys and they all say that once something available online only is returned, it cannot be repurchased. In other words, online only items can be returned at B&M but they are resold online only.
Old 02-04-05, 10:45 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by macross233
Has anyone tried to return something as RockStrongo suggested above? I, too, have a gift card and want to use it on an item that's available online only.

I've been calling different Best Buys and they all say that once something available online only is returned, it cannot be repurchased. In other words, online only items can be returned at B&M but they are resold online only.
They may say what they want but the returned items usually end up on the store's shelf.

I once returned a dvd box because it was damaged when it arrived. In my next visit I saw the same dvd box on their shelf.
Old 05-15-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I read in another thread that you're able to use Gift Cards online.

If that's true, does anyone here know how to enter them online?
Old 05-15-05, 02:48 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can't use BB gift cards online. Here is what they say:

"Our Gift Cards are a smart choice for anyone on your gift-giving list. They're available in various denominations and good toward future in-store purchases within the U.S."