Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
re: Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Anyone still getting discs in the mail? It looks like they closed my local distribution center in Nashville. My return envelopes used to have a Nashville address on them, but now they have a Duluth, GA address. I have also noticed it taking a day longer for the discs to get to me after they ship. I used to get discs the day after they send the disc has been shipped email. Now it takes at least two days. I'm sure it has to do with them coming from Georgia as opposed to Nashville....
Old 08-15-16, 04:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I still get them by mail in Houston, TX. It still takes one day for me after they ship. But sometimes, it takes them two days or more to receive my disc. When before, they used to receive it the day after I mailed it back. I don't think it's the post office's fault. I think it's just Netflix employees not getting to it. I'm sure they're not fully staffed like before. And most of my envelopes now show Austin, TX when before it was Houston, Tx but I haven't really been paying attention to the return address all the time
Old 08-15-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They are now shipping me new discs before they receive the ones that I mailed to them. I think the Post Office is scanning the barcodes on the envelopes to let them know when I mail something back.

The email usually says:

"Why did we send more discs than we received?

We are continually making improvements to deliver your entertainment to you as quickly as possible. We've heard from the Post Office that you've sent us something, so we're returning the favor."

They also sent me an extra free disc last week. The email said:

"Good news! 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi is on its way to you. Because it may take longer to arrive, we sent you the next available DVD in your queue.
Your Queue now shows this free extra DVD rental. Enjoy!"
Old 08-15-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'm still getting them in the mail, and it does seem like they're taking an extra day to turn around. They also appear to have stopped Saturday hours for my local center (Tacoma).
Old 08-15-16, 05:51 PM

I believe they stopped working on Saturdays nationwide a while back.
Old 08-15-16, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
They are now shipping me new discs before they receive the ones that I mailed to them. I think the Post Office is scanning the barcodes on the envelopes to let them know when I mail something back.
They used to do that to me. But it's been months since they last did that to me. Maybe it's just my post office that sucks.
Old 08-16-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I resigned up for discs simply to rent The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai again, and Netflix told me it hadn't even been released yet. Canceled 10 minutes after signing up. I'll stick with streaming for now.
Old 08-16-16, 07:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Yeah, I'm a little peeved that they say 2 days shipping now. I really liked next day delivery. Oh well. I'm still a sucker...
Old 11-20-16, 05:37 PM

Looking at my DVD/Blu-ray queue and two major titles that are due to rent on Tuesday are only available on DVD. "Lights Out" and "Hell and High Water". They both show as DVD available on Tuesday but blu-ray as unknown. Are they slowly gonna start giving up on blu-ray?
Old 11-21-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

It seems they don't focus on getting the BDs for a lot of movies. And as so many movies on BD are coming to smaller distributors at higher prices (Shout/Scream Factory, Twilight Time, Vinegar Syndrome, Code Red, Severin, etc.), Netflix aren't even buying any of those which really sucks.

I am down to the one disc at a time plan and have seriously considered dropping it. But then there are so many movies that aren't on streaming and can only be found on DVD, I still keep it for those.

I just wish they would put a little more effort into their disc quantity and quality program these days. I consistently get both DVDs and BDs that are cracked on the edges causes them to not play or even load. Mainly BDs which is strange. There are some I have sent back numerous times. Add in their mailing delays now and you are lucky if you get one disc a week. I call and complain and they will usually send me a couple extra. But it sucks to have to do that constantly.

They just don't care about their disc plan (DVD or BD) anymore and want it to go away. I wonder how many disc subscribers they still have and if it still makes them any money?
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-04-22)
Old 11-30-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Hell or High Water" should be available to rent on Blu-ray tomorrow.
Old 11-30-16, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
They just don't care about their disc plan (DVD or BD) anymore and want it to go away. I wonder how many disc subscribers they still have and if it still makes them any money?
I still subscribe and am on the 3 at a time plan. I very rarely get more than 1 cycle of discs each week. The extra days tacked on to the process definitely doesn't help the matter.
Old 01-25-17, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone noticed their dvd shipping starting to get really slow? I have the 2 at a time unlimited plan. When I mail a disc out on Friday, I always get a new disc shipped out on Monday, but I have mailed discs out on Monday and it's taking until Wednesday or Thursday or later before they ship me a new disc.
Old 01-25-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Has anyone noticed their dvd shipping starting to get really slow? I have the 2 at a time unlimited plan. When I mail a disc out on Friday, I always get a new disc shipped out on Monday, but I have mailed discs out on Monday and it's taking until Wednesday or Thursday or later before they ship me a new disc.
I periodically "drop in" and add the DVD plan to my streaming plan for a month or two at a time. For a couple of years, I'd send back my disc on Monday, receipt acknowledged and a new disc sent on Tuesday, and it'd be at my house on Wednesday. I could get two discs a week that way (except when there was a holiday. I re-upped for December and January. I mail the disc back on Monday, the disc is acknowledged as coming back on Tuesday and a new disc sent (though the disc is actually received later in the week). Now it always takes at least two days to get to me, which makes a clear dent in how many discs I can get in a month. The turnover is the same, but there's either a new shipping point or there just flat-out staggering their shipments to reduce my usage ( I forget the term). I do think they may have closed a few of their local offices, since mine go to Kansas City instead of St. Louis.
Old 01-25-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They closed their Nashville office recently, so my discs come from Duluth, GA. I have noticed the last two weeks that they haven't acknowledged when I mail a disc on Monday. With the two at a time plan, I watch about 8 movies a month. I don't think that is excessive enough for them to throttle me...
Old 01-25-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Mine have often shifted to taking two days to get to me as well, though they're generally received the day after I mail them. It's annoying to expect something to watch over the weekend and have it arrive Monday, especially because my kid often can't watch on weekdays.
Old 01-26-17, 07:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, it appears they are doing it to everyone, myself included, and I believe it's called "throttling". I hate this practice and I believe it's simply a way to maximize their dwindling profits.
Old 01-26-17, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They are finally shipping me a new disc today after I mailed one back early Monday morning. That's three days just to ship a new disc out.... I usually watch movies Thursday thru Sunday. I work long days Monday thru Wednesday. So if I can't get two new movies to watch on Thursday thru Sunday, then the service isn't going to be worth it for me anymore....
Old 01-26-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guess what? They received my disc at the processing center today and they didn't ship me a new disc.... That's terrible....
Old 10-21-18, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This one is as good as any to resurrect.

Family Video recently raised their rental prices. It used to be Brand new $3.99 one night only, then $3.99 for 5 nights, then $2.75, then $1. Now they have eliminated the $2.75 price point. They still have the rent 3 get one free but I usually get two per weekend and rarely would be able to get all 4 watched. So at $8 a week, I decided to give Netflix another whirl. When I checked streaming, none of the newer ones I wanted were available for streaming yet so I signed up for the $9.99 one at a time plan. If I can get one per week I'll be back to what I was paying for FV.

It's too bad that even if you want to rent it's tough these days. My uncle goes to the library a lot but to get the newer titles you have to reserve them or get very lucky. I don't want to work that hard. I just want a queue that gets filled as one becomes available.
Old 10-21-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Netflix and Prime are about volume and probably would carry a lot less if they were in the super new release game. It's all about demand,which is why a New Marvel movie is 8-10$ in the theater opening week but you can see the same movie months later at a cheapy matinees in some places for $3
Old 10-22-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE=JimRochester;13429529]This one is as good as any to resurrect.

Family Video recently raised their rental prices. It used to be Brand new $3.99 one night only, then $3.99 for 5 nights, then $2.75, then $1. Now they have eliminated the $2.75 price point. They still have the rent 3 get one free but I usually get two per weekend and rarely would be able to get all 4 watched./QUOTE]

Family Video in my area is $3.49 for Blu-ray One night rental or 5 night Blu-ray rentals. DVDs are $2.99 for one night or 5 night rentals. Everything else is either $2, $1, or 2 for $1. I usually just get the month of half off for $10 and I end up saving money in the long run. They had 40 cent rentals yesterday for their 40th anniversary.

I still have the Netflix disc rentals for the obscure titles that Family Video doesn't have.
Old 07-16-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I miss the old days when you can return a movie on Sat and get the new release the following Tues shipped on a Monday.

They never do that anymore

It seems lately a lot of the new releases are DVDs and no Blu-ray releases

I think Her Smell, The Poison Rose, and the Mercy were released on Blu-ray.
Old 07-18-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I miss the old days when you can return a movie on Sat and get the new release the following Tues shipped on a Monday.

They never do that anymore

It seems lately a lot of the new releases are DVDs and no Blu-ray releases

I think Her Smell, The Poison Rose, and the Mercy were released on Blu-ray.
I usually do a month of "physical" rentals every six months but I can't see what they have (and whether it's Blu-ray or not) unless I commit. The last time was a little "thinner" on selections than I thought it would be.
Old 07-21-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

You can only watch the new movies when they come out on Blu-ray or DVD since they don't put them out on streaming until maybe a couple of months pass or never.

A stupid question how come they can't release all new movies on Blu-ray, DVD, and streaming at the same time and date or is it a rights issue?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.