Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Old 08-14-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Originally Posted by davidh777
Netflix mailing has been generally fine for me. I mail on Monday, they receive on Tuesday, and I get a new disc Wednesday--no complaints there. A couple times in the last few months I've gotten a disc a day later than they've said, though that might also be the fault of the post office.
That's how mine was for years. I was surprised when it didn't show up until Thursday. Now I'm surprised if it does show up by Thursday
Old 08-14-13, 08:15 PM

Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts

I used to get 3 or 4 out at in a time in the golden days of Netflix. I would send them back so quickly I would sometimes get 20-30 movies a month. I really made the most of what I was getting. Now I'm down to 2 at a time. I use it pretty much for new releases. Mail discs Friday evening or early Saturday, they get it Monday, I get the new releases on release day Tuesday. Repeat.
Old 08-14-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still on the 3-at-a-time plan, though I don't know why. It is true that they obviously don't care about their non-streaming business anymore, TV series are missing discs they obviously have no interest in replacing, they no longer carry special editions, second discs, special features, etc. They must still make something from it though, if they're keeping it around.
Old 08-15-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think there's nothing near Netflix in terms of selection / convenience if you're big into movies. For someone like me trying to catch up with a lot of older films, Netflix has been amazing. I would say few of the titles in my queue remain having wait times for very long.
Old 08-15-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Additionally, whenever there is a delay and a title can't be mailed within a day or two, they always send an extra replacement disc. Thumbs up from me!
Old 08-15-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Aside from a disc being damaged (total of about 3 times in 6 years) and once or twice not arriving or arriving later than they say (may be post office's fault) I've never had a problem. I usually send one back, they receive it the next day, ship a new one out that day and I get it the following day.

In my queue of 469, I only have 9 movies that have any sort of wait on them. I have plenty to choose from.
Old 08-15-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad I'm not the only one who has a ridiculous queue.

21 out of my 279 have waits currently (7.5%) and about 5 of them are because they're recently released titles. Plus, I could see more of them if I switched from blu-ray to DVD.
Old 08-15-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah there's so much stuff in my queue I know I'll never watch or even have much desire to see...it's just habit to throw anything that looks remotely interesting into my queue.

I should thin the herd a bit.
Old 08-15-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I run around 35 titles with all of them being 2012 and newer movies which is part of the problem. But having been a member so long I've rented the catalog titles I want to see. Customer service told me that changing titles to DVD would increase their availability but it didn't help.
Old 08-18-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,042 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I run around 35 titles with all of them being 2012 and newer movies which is part of the problem. But having been a member so long I've rented the catalog titles I want to see. Customer service told me that changing titles to DVD would increase their availability but it didn't help.
Did they also suggest that you cancel the BD surcharge at the same time?
Old 08-18-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with Blockbuster which is another reason I haven't switched to Netflix yet. Blockbuster doesn't charge extra for BR, they just don't bother stocking enough to deliver.
Old 08-18-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The decision may be made for me. Blockbuster@Home through Dish is no longer providing games and DVD's by mail. It is either a strategy to free up media for the online subscribers, or they're just falling on their face.
Old 10-21-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,042 Likes on 859 Posts

Big stock jump

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/21/tech...ngs/index.html

Netflix jumps 10% on robust growth and rosy outlook
By Julianne Pepitone
October 21, 2013: 6:38 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Expectations for Netflix's third quarter couldn't have been higher, but the company still managed to wow Wall Street -- and shares jumped 10% late Thursday as a result.

Netflix cynics have been waiting for the company's stock bubble to pop: Netflix shares are up a shocking 440% in the past 12 months, and analysts expected third-quarter earnings nearly to quadruple over the year.

But Netflix (NFLX) delivered. The company reported third-quarter earnings of 52 cents a share, well above the 49 cents that analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting.

Sales came in at $1.1 billion, in line with estimates.

Netflix expects more happy news for the current quarter. The company predicted earnings of 47 cents to 73 cents per share. That's an extremely wide range -- common for Netflix -- but it's far above the 46 cents a share that Wall Street expected.

Shares of Netflix jumped 10% in after-hours trading.

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings isn't comfortable with the huge stock run-up, however. On a post-earnings conference call with analysts, he said Netflix thinks "momentum investors" are "driving the price more than we like normally" -- but that it's out of the company's control.

Subscriber growth and original content: Hastings was happier with Netflix's third-quarter subscriber growth, which also impressed. Netflix added nearly 1.3 million new American subscribers during the third quarter, near the top range of the 690,000-1.49 million range the company predicted in July.

International subscriber growth was even more striking: 1.44 million new overseas streaming customers. That pushed Netflix above the 40 million subscriber mark for the first time. But Netflix warned of a surge in free-trial signups in Latin America that artificially boosted the international additions figure.

In order to continue that user-base growth, Netflix has spent years transforming itself into not only a purveyor of other studios' content, but a creator of original content as well.

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings and other company executives have repeatedly said Netflix "wants to become HBO faster than HBO can become Netflix." (HBO is owned by CNNMoney parent company Time Warner (TWX, Fortune 500).)

That original-content strategy has included a new season of "Arrested Development," a U.S. remake of "House of Cards," and -- most notably -- the new series "Orange is the New Black." Netflix called the comedy-drama "one of the most critically well received TV shows of 2013" and said it will end the year as Netflix's most watched original series to date.

Three of those original series netted Netflix a total of 14 Emmy nominations and three wins (all for "Cards") this year, but some analysts are still concerned about Netflix's mounting costs. The company reportedly spent $100 million producing and shooting two seasons of "House of Cards," the first of which was released in February.

Netflix appears unfazed by that criticism. The company said it expects to double its spending on original content in 2014. Content chief Ted Sarandos said on the earnings call that the company is actively looking for documentaries to debut on Netflix and will keep an open mind about feature films -- but Netflix still isn't interested in airing sports.

Meanwhile, the content licensing side of Netflix's business is also expensive. Studios have demanded more money for their content as rival services proliferate: Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500), Hulu and Redbox (OUTR) are only a handful of the competitors. Premium channels like HBO and CBS' (CBS, Fortune 500) Showtime are also expanding their streaming offerings.
Old 10-24-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 743 Likes on 606 Posts

All of the new Blu-ray releases are on long wait and all the big movies like the Heat Pacific Rim. Hangover III etc are on a 28 day delay until November.
Old 10-24-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad I gave up on the entire rent by mail plan. Now I just swing by Family Video on Friday afternoon and I can grab 3 or 4 movies to get me through the weekend. It does cost more per rental than BB online or Netflix but at least I can get any of the titles I want whenever I walk in the door. In fact Family Video is not shy about releasing new releases early.
Old 10-24-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Glad I gave up on the entire rent by mail plan. Now I just swing by Family Video on Friday afternoon and I can grab 3 or 4 movies to get me through the weekend. It does cost more per rental than BB online or Netflix but at least I can get any of the titles I want whenever I walk in the door. In fact Family Video is not shy about releasing new releases early.
That's exactly what I do as well. When I have time, I just drop by my local Mom and Pop store and rent 2-3 movies (DVD or BD) for $1.50 to $2 each. I can rent stuff up to 2 weeks before street date.

I gave up on the DVD by mail program on Netflix about 2 years ago when it stopped being cost efficient with the business split and I stopped getting new movies in a timely fashion. Plus, the 28 day delays killed it for me.

I like the streaming side, so I'm keeping that. It helps me catch up on TV shows and random movies that I never caught.
Old 08-10-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did Netflix stop carrying Universal Blu-ray releases?

You can't get Non-Stop, Bad Words, Sabotage, Walk of Shame, or any of the big Universal or Focus Feature releases since July.
Old 08-11-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got Bad Words on BD on during its release week.

I just tried putting Bad Words and Non-Stop in my queue and it gives me the BD as the default with (seemingly) no availability issues.

I know Redbox has been rental windowing some Universal releases, but it doesn't seem consistent.

Make sure you're not using the mobile site as it tends to limit your options, like format.

Last edited by Adboy151; 08-11-14 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 03:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had Non-Stop, Bad Words, and Sabotage on my blu-ray queue and they all went straight to very long wait on release week. Still have not received them. Bad Words and Non-stop are showing as available today for the first time but I'm getting three of this week's new releases tomorrow so they will have to wait. Sabotage is still at very long wait. I didn't realize they were all Universal releases.

The same was happening with Disney movies at one point but I see they now have a month delay. I see Im not getting the new Muppets movie till next month.
Old 08-14-14, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 172 Posts

I got Bad Words and Sabotage (boht DVD) on release date sent.
Old 08-15-14, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they are punishing me for having the 2 Blu-ray movies per month plan and if you rent DVDs you have a better chance of getting a new release.

I return a Blu-ray on Sat so I can get a new release on Mon but that is not automatic anymore.

Transcendence which bombed is also on a Very Long Wait.
Old 08-15-14, 06:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Transcendence which bombed is also on a Very Long Wait.
I got Transcendence blu-ray on Tuesday so maybe it just varies by customer and location.
Old 08-15-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just logged into my Netflix account and saw all the movies in my DVD queue (a little over 100) have a status of "very long wait". Is this happening with anyone else?
Old 08-15-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
I just logged into my Netflix account and saw all the movies in my DVD queue (a little over 100) have a status of "very long wait". Is this happening with anyone else?
No issues here.
Old 08-16-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
No issues here.
I just logged in this morning and all my DVDs are still listed as "very long wait". Weird. Maybe there's a problem with the distribution warehouse I get them from. They ship from somewhere around Pittsburgh.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.