Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Intelliflix looks promising. They have some very unique marketing propositions which I may look into later, once implemented.

I'm happily in my 4 month using Blockbuster and no major snafu's yet. The printable rental coupons are icing on the cake....the price ain't shabby either.
Old 04-07-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Wow, one of those Intelliflix plans sounds nice:
Movies Only: 3 out at a time: $ 8.25 monthly X 12 months = $99 Annually (SUPERPASS)
Premium Subscription Plan: Movies, Games, Mature
3 out at a time: $14.75 monthly X 12 months = $177 Annually (SUPERPASS)

Not that I'm interested in the Mature [although I'm glad they offer them, NF quit], but the games. I like the coupon for BlockbusterOnline, but sometimes I can tell in a day or so if I like the game or not--and BBV B&M selection on games and dvds is pretty lame.
My BBO queue dropped from 64% Wait Status to an all-time low [since I've been measuring] of 52%, so I'm definitely not locked into them.
Old 04-12-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A funny thing I noticed today: since they've gotten horrible about sending discs out the same day they get one back I've been responding by being so much better about sending discs back ASAP than I ever was before. I've actually gotten more discs from them in the last 30 day period than I did in the previous two. I've had to work at it though. I liked it a lot better when it wasn't such a big deal if you sent a disc back right away.

Just playing amateur consumer psychologist with myself. I wonder if others are responding the same way.
Old 04-12-05, 06:51 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far I could not be more happy with Netflix. I joined Blockbuster for their two week trial and thought they royally sucked. 2/3 of the movies in my que were on a short wait. And it took them two days after recieving a disk back to send another one out. Rejoined Netflix after a year hiatus, and every movie in my que is in stock. They also ship a movie out the very same day they receive one back from me (which I get the very next day as well).
Old 04-12-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MJKTool
Rejoined Netflix after a year hiatus, and every movie in my que is in stock. They also ship a movie out the very same day they receive one back from me (which I get the very next day as well).
You know, I'm getting more and more tempted to try the quit and rejoin thing. I've never had a problem with movies being available, but they sure sit on my discs before mailing them out. It's not a Post Office thing either; the PO is superb - consistent one day service each way and I can put discs in the mail as late as 8pm.
Old 04-12-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aye that the problem, its after that first month that Netflix as it is now shows itself. You have to quite abit for reset to take place and treat you well again
Old 04-12-05, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I quit my Netflix membership at the end of every billing cycle and restart it once the last outstanding DVD is received by Netflix. Using this technique, my account is always treated with preference -- all the titles in my queue show as available now.
A friend of mine works for Netflix and she told me that new members definitely do get priority in receiving disks. You won't see even a "short wait" for a month or 2. People who rent a lot end up with the lowest priority which is supposed to slow them down a bit.
Old 04-12-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by emerald9999
People who rent a lot end up with the lowest priority which is supposed to slow them down a bit.
Unless they're like me and get so annoyed with the situaltion that they go out of their way to return discs as early as possible, thus getting a couple more discs a month.
Old 04-12-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by kitkat
You know, I'm getting more and more tempted to try the quit and rejoin thing. I've never had a problem with movies being available, but they sure sit on my discs before mailing them out. It's not a Post Office thing either; the PO is superb - consistent one day service each way and I can put discs in the mail as late as 8pm.
Same here. In fact, NetFlix isn't even registering receipt of my discs on the weekends, when before when I was maybe a few months into the program, I always got notification of receipt of the discs. Hell, I've been their greatest customer, AT LEAST I THOUGHT, because I try to mail my discs to them as soon as possible, thereby resulting in the movie becoming available for others? I guess that's not the case.

I returned 4 discs LAST THURSDAY (I'm only 45 miles away from their main center). And today is TUESDAY, and never received my next Queue of discs. It's pissing me off.
Old 04-13-05, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Same here. In fact, NetFlix isn't even registering receipt of my discs on the weekends, when before when I was maybe a few months into the program, I always got notification of receipt of the discs. Hell, I've been their greatest customer, AT LEAST I THOUGHT, because I try to mail my discs to them as soon as possible, thereby resulting in the movie becoming available for others? I guess that's not the case.

I returned 4 discs LAST THURSDAY (I'm only 45 miles away from their main center). And today is TUESDAY, and never received my next Queue of discs. It's pissing me off.
Yea, I got spanked too...I'm on the 3X plan and rent primarily new releases. I sent two movies back on Saturday to be picked-up at 6:30am by the post office. As of Tuesday, Netflix has yet to acknowledge their return and, get this, I live less than 10 MINUTES AWAY from one of their distribution sites! They are just now sending out a replacement for a movie I returned on Friday. This appears to be a cycle that happens about every three to four weeks with me.

I'm with you as to why I should be "punished" for returning movies as soon as I watch them. Perhaps if there were older release in my queue this wouldn't be such a problem. Do the other internet rental sites do this as well?
Old 04-13-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have noticed that the earliest they send new discs out now is the next day; when I started it was usually the same day. Also, curiously, discs I send back at the same time get 'staggered' in being reported returned. While this is a bit annoying when I break down how many DVDs I am getting each month for what I pay it's still a fine overall value.
Old 04-13-05, 03:20 PM

Dropped two returns in the mailbox Monday morning.
Received Bad Education and The Woodsman this afternoon.
I'm content.
Old 04-14-05, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jepthah
I have noticed that the earliest they send new discs out now is the next day; when I started it was usually the same day. Also, curiously, discs I send back at the same time get 'staggered' in being reported returned. While this is a bit annoying when I break down how many DVDs I am getting each month for what I pay it's still a fine overall value.
Yes they are now purposely shipping your next DVD the next day and NOT the day they receive your return. I don't consider that good customer service. You guys have to realize that they are doing this on purpose because the less movies you rent the more $$$$ they make due to less postage costs involved in mailing you another rental. I will bew cancelling my
membership at the end of this month.
Old 04-14-05, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's really odd... anything that comes in towards the beginning of the week (Mon - Wed) usually takes until the next day for the shipment to go out. Towards the end of the week (Thur or Fri) the replacement will usually ship the same day Of course now that I've said something the cycle will probably be broken
Old 04-14-05, 08:54 AM

One trick that I use to get the next disk faster is I report the disk as missing on the day I mail it. Then they will send you a new disk that day or at latest the next day. Report it before 10 am for same-day results. When your disk actually arrives they email saying they found your lost disk, and no problem. The only time lost disks are a problem is if they don't ever get them back.

The only caveat on this method is it only works if it has been 6 days since THEY sent you the disk. It won't work if you just got the disk, watch and return the next day, but it does speed things up given the long processing time on returns.
Old 04-14-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nemein
It's really odd... anything that comes in towards the beginning of the week (Mon - Wed) usually takes until the next day for the shipment to go out. Towards the end of the week (Thur or Fri) the replacement will usually ship the same day Of course now that I've said something the cycle will probably be broken
I think that's what I've been experiencing for the last several months. Since most of my discs are checked in at the beginning of the week most of my new discs get held, but stuff that gets in on Friday usually gets me a new disc mailed out that same day.

It could be worse, and I completely respect that Netflix needs to make a profit. I would gladly pay more if I could have the same level of service that I had during my first six months. I'm still absolutely getting great value - I just wish there was a way for me to purchase the deluxe version.
Old 04-15-05, 12:36 PM
jah

Originally Posted by rampo
Dropped two returns in the mailbox Monday morning.
Received Bad Education and The Woodsman this afternoon.
I'm content.
Lucky you. Now if the other 90 percent of us got that kind of service, we'd be happy too. I did at one point - during my free trial period. Trial member's priority treatment is the likely cause of everybody else's bad service. Deceptive for new customers, crappy for current customers...
Old 04-15-05, 01:02 PM
jah

Unless they're like me and get so annoyed with the situaltion that they go out of their way to return discs as early as possible, thus getting a couple more discs a month.
I return almost all my dvds the next day after I receive them and always have. It certainly has had no positive affect on how fast they check them in and send me the next one. I have noticed, like somebody else said, that they tend to have a better turn around on stuff they receive later in the week. I sent two discs back yesterday (Thursday) and they had already checked them in when I got up this morning, what a shock. It's currently 1:45 and the two new discs say "shipping today". Hopefully that won't change to "shipping Monday" before the day is over. I also suspect that for those few that still have good turn around it's probably got something to do with the distribution center closest to you. What factors influence it, I'm not sure. Maybe the smaller centers serving smaller areas don't have as many trial customers pushing your priority down? Or maybe bigger centers with more workers are better? Dunno... I live in Atlanta and I envision a crappy little shithole office with one poor, underpaid worker receiving and sending out discs lol... Of course I have no idea what it's really like. The person that knows the Netflix employee, man you need to get some sort of anonymous expose from them to post. I'd love to have the full inside scoop on their sorry ass operation.
Old 04-15-05, 01:28 PM

Like I stated before the bottom line in "my" opinion is that the service has declined.
Remember Netflix's big sales pitch was and still suppose to be you would get your movies in 1-2 days and then get another in just as quick time once you returned the rental. That is NOT the case anymore and I believe it's done "purposely". I would consider this an unenthical and misleading business practice that will eventually land them in a lawsuit soon.
Old 04-15-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jah
I return almost all my dvds the next day after I receive them and always have. It certainly has had no positive affect on how fast they check them in and send me the next one.
It doesn't for me either. I was simply amused to have noticed that I'm now sending a higher percentage of my discs back the day after I receive them, and am even occasionally sending discs back the same day (I can get them in the mail as late as 8pm) because I know that Netflix will hold most of my discs an extra day. I wound up getting 2-3 more discs last month than I usually do because of the change in my behavior, which was a response to Netflix's throttling.
Old 04-15-05, 02:28 PM
Banned

I did an excel spreadsheet and looked month by month at how many discs I get over the few years I have been a member.

I average about the same amount of movies each month. The most I can get is 37 and the lowest I can get is 30. It hovers around 35 for the most part.

It dips in the holiday season and goes back up again after.

I can't see any decline in over the 2 years I have been a member.
Old 04-15-05, 03:18 PM

When I first started with Netflix (about 3 yrs ago), I used to send the movies back, the next day they would receive them, and the following day I would have my next 3 movies. Now I send them back, they get them 2 days later, then they don't send the new batch out immediately like they used to, they wait until the day after they get them to mail out the next bunch, which I get 2 days later. Also, I'd say when I first started with Netflix, they used to send about 99% of all the movies on my list, now I rarely get any in my top 10 list. I just got Bambi yesterday, which was number 1 on my list since about a month before it was released.
Old 04-15-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would gladly pay more if I could have the same level of service that I had during my first six months. I'm still absolutely getting great value - I just wish there was a way for me to purchase the deluxe version.
depending on what plan you have now, you could pay more to have more discs

Pricing Levels:
$11.99 Four DVDs a month, two (2) titles out at a time
$14.99 Unlimited DVDs, two (2) titles out at a time
$17.99 Unlimited DVDs, three (3) titles out at a time
$23.99 Unlimited DVDs, four (4) titles out at a time
$29.99 Unlimited DVDs, five (5) titles out at a time
$35.99 Unlimited DVDs, six (6) titles out at a time
$41.99 Unlimited DVDs, seven (7) titles out at a time
$47.99 Unlimited DVDs, eight (8) titles out at a time
Old 04-15-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
I've recieved 2 broken discs in a row.

Either we got a new mailman who likes to shove the shit out of the mail in my mailbox, or it could be that the company just doesn't want me to watch movies anymore.
Old 04-15-05, 04:47 PM

Add me to the list of those who applauds the Netflix service- my queue is filled within 1-2 days. It's wonderful.

For the idiots suggesting lawsuit- they're just another good reason for tort reform.....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.