Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Old 03-13-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My service has been fairly decent lately. I've actually upgraded my account one tier in order to catch up on my list quicker. Even if the service is slow at times it's still easier than renting locally and it way cheaper than buying all this stuff and finding out I don't like something I've bought.

I rent a big number of TV shows and I got sick of it taking over 2 weeks to finish some larger sets. All my sets have come in order thankfully so I haven't had any problems with seeing things out of order.
Old 03-13-05, 01:38 AM

well mine has been fine up until this last week. i sent 3 discs in on thursday and they still haven't received them. the distro center is only about 25 minutes from my house.
Old 03-13-05, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I am seriously thinking this is intentional.. If things donít change I may jump ship to BB.
Dave - you can't be serious that you think this is intentional. You can't blame Netflix for something that could just as easily be the fault of the USPS.

I do agree with you, though, that shipping from Netflix takes longer than it should. I think I've finally come to the conclusion that it's because they will sometimes send you stuff from different distribution centers (even though when they do this I still return it to my local center - it must be their way of re-distributing inventory to where the demand is greater). For instance, they'll receive two of my returns on the same day and ship out both replacements the same day. I'll get one the next day (my norm) and the other two days later. This difference in ship time is almost always reflected in my Queue in the "Expected Arrival Date" column (the second disc would have an arrival date two days later than the first disc).

I don't believe the conspiracy theories about Netflix - they're too small a company and struggling to grow and expand to try to screw customers (other than prioritizing their low-volume renters over us high-volume renters!).

On the other hand, Dave, maybe your first disc is lost in the mail - report it missing and they'll send a replacement the next day...
Old 03-13-05, 04:25 PM

I just canceled mine after they kept bumping the ship date for my next movie (after they sent me one in a wrong envelope) from Wednesday all the way to Monday. They had gotten really slow at checking my returns back in as well.

Oh well, only cost me ten bucks for six weeks, so I can't complain too much. They used to be much better though
Old 03-14-05, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by zidane349
Yeah, i have had bad dvds so many times its not even funny. It pisses me off when the disk is so scratched up that you have like buzzing lines on the dvd or it skips. One time when i got Dark City from netflix it came Cracked in Half!! lmao.
I had a cracked disc as well, but it was only cracked on one side, not all the way through, so that if you looked at just the artwork you wouldn't be able to tell.

Only 2 movies of mine from Netflix has had other problems, and both were biggies. The discs just have to wait till the end to mess up, and only with movies I really get into.
Old 03-16-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nycbrent
Dave - you can't be serious that you think this is intentional. You can't blame Netflix for something that could just as easily be the fault of the USPS...
Well I finally recieved disc 1 of the season set. It arrived 6 days after discs 2 and 3 (although the site claimed it shipped before the 2nd two). All three were shipped from the same dist. center (the closest to me).

It just seems if you want to slow down a renter sending the first disc of a series late would do the trick. As I said this is not the first time that exact thing has happened.
Old 03-16-05, 01:56 PM

It just seems if you want to slow down a renter sending the first disc of a series late would do the trick. As I said this is not the first time that exact thing has happened.
I certainly understand your frustration, but find it hard to imagine that they have that level of sophistication built into their system to penalize high volume renters. Stranger things have happened, I guess, so it's possible!

The way I get around your issue is by working thru several series' at the same time, but that doesn't help you if you want to do a Brady Bunch marathon or something.
Old 03-16-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
There's been research 'proving' that they do slow down heavy renters. Maybe not by withholding Disk 1 of a series, but by putting that customer at the bottom of the list for dvd's on his queue.
My BBO queue shows Buffy s2, disks 2-6, Available Now, but disk 1, has been on Wait status since I added it a month ago. Could be coincidence.
And speaking of BBO, unless NF has *totally* ticked you off, stick with them. I check my BBO queue every day, and have started tracking it. At no time in the past week have I had less than 50% of the titles in some Wait status. Assuming those are accurate representations of their inventory, it's sadly lacking. And of course results in shipping delays while they 'look' for a 'Wait'ing disk.....
Old 03-16-05, 02:51 PM
Banned

from hacking netflix
Here's a really good use of the new multiple accounts feature of Netflix: put all of the discs for a TV series you like (Sex in the City, Seasons 1-4) in a separate account, and give the account just 1 disc out at a time. Maintain your other queue as usual.

You'll always have a predictable mix of TV series and movies, but more importantly, won't get the next disc in a TV series until you've turned the last one in (who hasn't mistakenly ended up with three discs from a TV series all at once?)
Old 03-16-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to get to shipments a week, not I am lucky to get one...
Old 03-16-05, 03:28 PM

I thought I had dodged this bullet but it took them nearly a week to process in my last return and now I get an email yesterday telling me to expect delivery Saturday. Used to be overnight. I might be moving to BB as well.
Old 03-16-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a really good use of the new multiple accounts feature of Netflix: put all of the discs for a TV series you like (Sex in the City, Seasons 1-4) in a separate account, and give the account just 1 disc out at a time. Maintain your other queue as usual.

You'll always have a predictable mix of TV series and movies, but more importantly, won't get the next disc in a TV series until you've turned the last one in (who hasn't mistakenly ended up with three discs from a TV series all at once?)

How does this help though? Let's say I have the 4 discs of The L-Word in a secondary user profile with a limit of one disc at a time, That still does not stop them from shipping me disc 3 before 1 & 2. If the first 2 discs on my queue are not available they will send the 3rd disc out.

I think a better solution would be to not add discs 2,3 & 4 to your queue until they have shipped you disc one.

Last edited by Bugg; 03-16-05 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 04:38 PM

Just throwing in my 2 cents here also. It seems that they've slowed down processing and sending me discs. When I first started, I was able to get at least 3 discs each week. Now it seems that it's getting harder to do. I can send back all three discs at the same time and they ship out 1 disc one day and maybe the other 2 on the following day or even longer. Seems that somethings going on.
Old 03-16-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've noticed that Netflix doesn't send me TV shows out of order anymore. I had a season set in my queue in which the first disc had a wait status while the rest of the season's discs were available now. Netflix skipped over the entire season until the first disc was available to send.

They've done that with another season set since then.
Old 03-17-05, 12:27 AM

geez .... i am glad that i am not the only person. i have been searching the web looking for others that have the same issue with the lack of service from Netflix as of late. first let me say that i have been with Netflix for well over a year. everything was great when i first joined .... averaging anywhere between 3-4 dvds a week. when i first started, Netflix would receive a dvd back and ship another dvd on my queue the very same day. now it Netflix ships my dvd the next day or day after next.

last June (2004), netflix increased all their subscription price. i noticed that after the increase the quality of service had been substandard. i was disappointed with the price increase last year. i was somewhat pestimistic to hear late last year that they would be dropping their monthly subscription price. reason being that they were losing money and they were having increased competition from others trying to branch out in online DVD rental. i was hoping that the quality of service wouldnt suffer or would stay the same to say the least. boy was i wrong, i started noticing the difference immediately after the price change. again the service dropped after each price change. i dont like to speculate on how Netflix operates. but its like the corporate Headquarters is sending out memos to their distribution center to slow down the time frame which they send out their DVDs and record them as being received in the mail to make ends meet.

it would take 3-4 days before i receive a dvd in the mail after receiving confirmation Netflix had shipped it. before it would usually take 1-2 days for Netflix to receive a dvd return, again 1-2 days the other way around for me to receive a dvd from them. i notice they would wait a day or two before they would ship out a dvd on queue. there have been numerous incidents where it took Netflix 5 days before they received my dvd. quite frankly i am feed up with the quality of service. there is a distribution center in Richmond and close to where i live. and i also live in close proximity to the post office box in which they receive their DVDs. just this week i had the same problem, i sent back 2 dvds on Saturday. today is Wednesday, and Netflix has yet to receive the two dvds. let me remind you again that last year it would have taken Netflix 1-2 days before they receive the dvds back. (on average a day because i drop them off at a post office before pickups) I understand that they ship dvds out from different distribution offices, when they dont have a certain dvd at your closest office. happens all the time in any business, it happened to me a couple times with replacement dvds. but how do you explain the lag time of 5-6 days for Netflix to receive a dvd in the mail. when 1). i drop them off at my postal office in the morning, 2). when there is a distribution center in Richmond, and 3). the post office box Netflix uses to receive returned dvd is in close proximity to where i live. i understand mistakes happen with the USPS but not so frequently that it is occuring 80-90% of the time within the last 4 months.

the quality of service has dropped after each change, anybody else notice it or is it just me. some might call it a coincidence, but i just look at the facts and what i have experienced first hand. i think Netflix is playing a waiting game with waiting a day before they send out dvds and waiting couple days before reporting them received. i feel the quality of service has been completely and utterly atrocious.

keep this up and consider me down with Netflix. there are other alternatives than Netflix. if they wont appreciate my business and loyalty, i will just have to find another company that will. ive tried Blockbuster, walmart, and my blockbuster down here even has an in store DVD monthly program. sorry for the long read ... when i get on a roll, i mean business. just wanted to vent my fustrations with Netflix.

Last edited by vcurams2k2; 03-17-05 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-17-05, 12:45 AM

Overall, it seems okay, but there've been too many instances where my orders get screwed up. I ordered "Young Sherlock Holmes" which was supposed to take 3 or 4 days since it had to come from another distribution center...it took 6 days, and it came cracked in half. Had to order a replacement copy which took another 2 days. Recently, I ordered "A Better Tomorrow III" which was supposed to arrive on a Wednesday...didn't get it until the following Tuesday. It came along with the replacement copy I had ordered. Personally, I think Netflix does the best they can, I don't blame them for it (although scratched discs and stuff like that? -- yeah, that is their responsibility) but when you have to work through the post office, you can very easily get a bad business rep.
Old 03-17-05, 01:22 AM

BigDan, there is a way around it. if you cant get the first couple of disc in the tv series get the last half of it. delete disc 1-3 if it says short wait, or whatever and just queue up the bottom half of it. thus, you get part of the series now and can get the rest when it is available. i use to get that problem all the time.... i would miss out on cycling through and my dvds wouldnt get back to netflix before a tuesday (day for new releases). i would miss out on disc 1-3 and even though nobody was renting 4-6 or whatever, netflix for some odd reason ships tv series in order of disc starting with the 1st. later i learned to just queue up the bottom half and wait til the others are available. hope this makes sense to you.

Last edited by vcurams2k2; 03-17-05 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-21-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by vcurams2k2
BigDan, there is a way around it. if you cant get the first couple of disc in the tv series get the last half of it. delete disc 1-3 if it says short wait, or whatever and just queue up the bottom half of it. thus, you get part of the series now and can get the rest when it is available. i use to get that problem all the time.... i would miss out on cycling through and my dvds wouldnt get back to netflix before a tuesday (day for new releases). i would miss out on disc 1-3 and even though nobody was renting 4-6 or whatever, netflix for some odd reason ships tv series in order of disc starting with the 1st. later i learned to just queue up the bottom half and wait til the others are available. hope this makes sense to you.
That doesn't help much if you want to watch the series in order (especially a show with a season long story arch).

The last two movies I rented got sent back 3/16 and 3/17 to my closest dist. center (Santa Anna). I check my queue daily and finally this morning (3/21) I see in two of the slots "We expect to ship your next available movie today (Monday)" It was a slow turn around but I'm happy, although I think it's strange they haven't actually listed the next two movies in my queue like they normally do. That was at 8:00 AM. Now I check again (@ 11:00 Am) when I add a movie to my queue and it has changed to say "We expect to ship your next available movie by Tuesday"
WTF?
Man, I wish I was sure BBO was any better. The two in store rentals might be a deal maker for me.
Old 03-22-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's getting worse all the time these days. They obviously have a policy of one round per week, at least in my case....it's clear as a bell. I'm on the 5 at a time program; I had 5 check in on Monday morning and tuesday night got e-mails letting me know that my next round is being shipped, and to expect three on thursday, one on friday and one on saturday. All older titles that wouldn't be regarded as hot items by most people. For the price I still can't legitimately complain, but hell, I am anyway
Old 03-23-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I check my queue daily and finally this morning (3/21) I see in two of the slots "We expect to ship your next available movie today (Monday)" It was a slow turn around but I'm happy, although I think it's strange they haven't actually listed the next two movies in my queue like they normally do. That was at 8:00 AM. Now I check again (@ 11:00 Am) when I add a movie to my queue and it has changed to say "We expect to ship your next available movie by Tuesday"
WTF?
I've been getting that a lot lately - it's very frustrating. Honestly, I wish they would just re-label their service a "three movies a week" plan at their currant pricing and introduce a "three at a time - all you can rent" program at a higher price point where they actually send out new discs the same day they receive one back.

They used to send discs out the same day. I just want that service again and if I have to pay a few bucks more for that would be fine.
Old 03-23-05, 08:52 AM
Cool New Member

That's exactly why I dumped Netflix, they are definitely slowing down their service. I cancelled for a while last year after getting the much talked about "throttling" tactic used on me when I went on a DVD watching binge and was getting sometimes as many as 6 DVD's per week. Last year I was lucky to get 3, generally it was 2 and when I sent them back it would take up to 5 days to receive them in. I'm pretty close to the DC so the delivery time is definitely 1 day, they've just decided to play games with people since they were forced by BB to drop their prices. BB was just as bad, are they any better now?
Old 03-23-05, 09:05 AM
Cool New Member

Hmmm. My turnaround time is usually fine - although since I believe there's a fullfillment center in my city (or at least my state) that's probably the reason.

However, I am REALLY getting fed up with the condition the discs arrive in. I genuinely don't think that they even bother to inspect the discs at all anymore. This goes far beyond "damaged in transit" issues; it comes from renting to J6P who throws the discs on the floor and lets the family walk on them, etc. I mean, if something looks as if it's been rubbed on concrete then chances are it's NOT going to play properly. Fully a third of the discs I've received in the past month have pixillated, skipped, or just plain frozen at least once in the course of play.

And to add insult to injury, it's almost impossible to file a complaint with a "real" human being. I managed to do it early on, and got a "ehhh, whaddya gonna do"-type response. And I don't know about other subscribers, but I really don't have the time or energy to wait for them to "send a replacement" - especially when the "replacement" stands every chance of being in the exact same condition.

IMO, if they have thousands of subscribers paying $15-$18 per month for their service, the least they could do is properly maintain their library - which includes inspecting returns, and rotating new discs in on a regular basis.

Sorry for the rant, but does anyone else feel this way?
Old 03-23-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Moezilla
they've just decided to play games with people since they were forced by BB to drop their prices. BB was just as bad, are they any better now?
I live in sort of a remote area so I have 3-4 days turnaround, but I found that of late BB and Netflix dvds are taking just as long to get processed and mailed out. BB isn't as good as Netflix used to be, but they are about the same as the new, slower Netflix.
Old 03-23-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe I'm just lucky but my service continues to be fine. If I mail a disk on Mon., I have a new release (or whatever I have next in my queue) in my home on Wed.
TV shows have been fine for me too. No problems getting disks from 24 or The Shield all in the proper order as I watched them.
I got no complaints.
Old 03-23-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
NetFlix has certainly slowed-down my service over the past two months--and I'm less than 45 miles from a major distribution mailing center. Discs are also NOT checked for errors as much as they were. I've been getting a lot of them, which is adding to the overall time of getting the damn movie I want.

Also, NetFlix is CHANGING the shipping times when the movie is listed in my Queue as being shipped out! This has happened the last month. A movie that says shipped on Monday, will actually change to Tuesday. So everyone please watch your Queue, and inform me if you see the same. This isn't for only new releases either. It's happened for various titles in my situation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.