Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

any stores accept paypal as payment?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-04-04, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some paypal credit stored up from selling on eBay and was wondering if any online store accept paypal. i know that overstock.com does, does anyone know of any others?
Old 12-04-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 355 Likes on 258 Posts
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_shop-ext

By the way, self-respecting businesses wouldn't use them. Unfortunately, it's easier to get exposure if you advertise as accepting PayPal, and thus they get the business.

I wouldn't recommend giving them any of your information. It's much easier for someone to rip you off through PayPal, than it is for someone to rip you off with a regular merchant account. And, with current credit card protection (for consumers), it's safer to be giving your credit card information out over the phone. It's less safe for businesses to accept payment for you. But it's safer for you.

When you pay directly, without PayPal, you're not agreeing to their 26 pages of terms and conditions. When you do agree to PayPal's terms, you're agreeing that you only get your money back if the buyer pays it back. Also, if the buyer ships you bricks instead of a laptop, you get bricks, and the seller has a tracking # to show that he shipped you a laptop. Also, it's takes a good bit of work to open a REAL merchant account with a bank (business id papers, meeting your banker, credit report, etc.). But ANYONE can open a PayPal account in a matter of three minutes.

We're (my partners/employees and I) fed up with their services, and just dealt with our last ordeal with PayPal. Never again Their services just aren't good on the business end. And we've found that, if you just ask, people will mail-in their payment.

If you're selling something 'here-and-there', and it's not an electronic, it's not over $200, and you only ship to confirmed addresses, you will probably be safe.

Starting this week, we just converted back to good old COD's and mail-in prepay payments ... with the very occasional credit card over the phone.

That being said, you'll probably never get ripped off, unless you do something stupid. But I wouldn't recommend using them, regardless.
Old 12-04-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I believe Digitaleyes accepts Paypal:
http://www.digitaleyes.net/index.cfm?affiliate=DVT
Old 12-04-04, 07:51 PM

www.cduniverse.com

recently placed two orders with them using PayPal and both orders came quick.
Old 12-08-04, 12:58 PM

I think overstock.com does
Old 12-14-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
newegg.