Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Asian DVDs on eBay

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Asian DVDs on eBay

Old 10-28-04, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asian DVDs on eBay

I recently purchased a set of all seven seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation on DVD on eBay. The set was listed as an Asian Collector's Edition, and sold for $100 including shipping. The set was obviously fake, with every fourth episode cut off, misprints on the box, and odd physical problems with the discs (silkscreening not covering the entire disc, etc.). I am attempting to return them.

My question is this: are any Asian DVD sets being sold on eBay actual retail versions, or are they all bootleg or copied? Does anyone know of a source for cheap Asian discs, if legitimate ones exist?
Old 10-28-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Most legitimate discs released in Asia are regionally encoded and will not play on a standard US DVD player. Most of the asian import dvds on Ebay are bootleg discs. Therefore, unless you're going to acquire a region-free dvd player and spend the time to become knowledgable regarding what's legitimate and what's not, I'd recommend staying clear of asian imports on Ebay or elsewhere.
Old 10-28-04, 03:02 PM

Thanks for your reply. Wish I would have known that a few weeks ago, but I guess you live and learn.
Old 10-29-04, 02:23 AM

Well at least they say it now it's an Asian release. A couple of years ago, when the X-Files were in the $100-120 range on half.com, and some sold these sets around $50-60, they did not even list them as an Asian edition.
Old 10-29-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

when i do searches on eBay, i wish there were a way of filtering out all that foreign junk
Old 11-01-04, 01:14 PM

You can filter out a lot of "that foreign junk."

When you go to Advanced Search and then More Search Options, there is a section marked Location. One of the options under Location is Items located in and a pop-up box to select your country (e.g., United States).

This won't eliminate all of the foreign junk from the list, because a few sellers manage to put something in the listing like "United States available, ship from Hong Kong" and there are occasionally people in the U.S. trying to sell these foreign boots.

But it sure narrows down the list you have to wade through.

(You can include location criteria in saved searches, also.)
Old 11-02-04, 04:16 AM

Seriously, you should have known better. Sounds like you were wishing upon a star.

If it sounds way too good to be true, it probably is.

No one in their right mind is going to sell all 7 of the official seasons for $100 unless they are a total moron.

They go for $111 a piece on Amazon.

If they did, I would buy them in a heartbeat to resell them myself.

Good Luck finding a deal like that. You certainly wont be finding it anywhere online anytime soon.
Old 11-02-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Most legitimate discs released in Asia are regionally encoded and will not play on a standard US DVD player. Most of the asian import dvds on Ebay are bootleg discs. Therefore, unless you're going to acquire a region-free dvd player and spend the time to become knowledgable regarding what's legitimate and what's not, I'd recommend staying clear of asian imports on Ebay or elsewhere.

Actually, that really depends on what country you are referring to in Asia when you say Asian. And really, you're also talking about countries in the South Pacific.

Japan uses region coding as much as the US does. Europe and Asia not so much. There are many legitimate asian releases (and european) that are not region coded. Unless the film is made by a US or Japanese studio (or it's going to be released theatrically in the US after the domestic DVD release) it's not unusual for a movie to be R0 if it's an Asian or European release.

Knowledge is what you need, not a sweeping statement that Asian releases are bootlegs. I have over 100 Asian DVD's, most are R0, none are bootlegs.

General rule of thumb: If it's too good to be true, it probably is. There are many legitimate asian DVD sites listed here at DVDTalk. If you suspect something you see is a bootleg, go to one of those sites and try to find it. Does it look exactly the same? Now you've gotten started. If you're still hesitant to buy it because you think it's a boot, then go to the site selling legit Asian DVDs and buy it from them.
Old 11-07-04, 12:57 AM

Thanks to everybody for their responses. This has been quite a learning experience, and I feel bad for all of my cohorts buying bootlegged discs on eBay.

Also, thanks to ClownFace666 for being a monday morning quarterback.
Old 11-07-04, 08:45 PM

Too good to be true really holds true on Ebay and Asian discs. I've made the mistake of getting a few of those X-Files Asian discs, and they were total junk. You don't even get what you pay for because they weren't worth the $20 the seller sold them for.

Every once in awhile, some oddball set comes out that is not available domestically, or with English subtitles. But even with those, its such a crap shoot whether the discs will play or not, its just not worth it.

Stick with the legitimate dealers. Pay a few extra bucks, and sit back and relax. There's an old Chinese saying that goes something like "buy cheap, buy often, but quality, buy once" (sorry if I'm butchering that phrase), but its really true.
Old 11-07-04, 10:23 PM

Indeed. I have since begun purchasing the legitimate US sets one by one. The asian discs are most certainly not worth purchase in any quantity.
Old 11-19-04, 03:01 PM

I wonder why there are so many Bootlegs on ebay.com! In Germany it is not allowed to sell Bootlegs. Is it legal in the US to sell those Bootlegs (copies, fakes, or whatever)?