Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVDBarn online rental for $12.95/month 3 dvds out

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-04, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody tried this online rental company? They are offering $12.95/month 3 dvds out at a time for life. Just signed up yesterday and today still no changes in my queue if it shipped or not. The ad said they have more dvds and faster service than netflix or blockbuster. Don't have Eternal Sunshine or Felicity 3 - which really suck! Can't cancel anymore since I was charged already....any info would sure help.

Last edited by bugoy; 09-30-04 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-30-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you may want to look through http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=271387 ....not sure if dvdbarn is in there or not.. you may also want to search the forum for dvdbarn...this thread is also more appropriate in the store forum, which i've moved it to, if you view it in the future..
Old 10-02-04, 11:59 AM

I decided to cancel my account with dvdbarn.com and disputed the charge to my credit card. Signed up Sep 29 and put movies on my queue - 3 days later not even a single email from them - but charged me right away! Warning !!! don't rent from this guys.
Old 10-07-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So far I am having a HORRIBLE experience with this place.

They shipped my first disc right away, and I got it the next day! Which is what they guarantee, if you are in their next day arrival zone, you will get an item the next day after they ship it. I was really impressed and thought this might be a great place.

However, items 2 and 3 in my queue didn't ship until I emailed them stating they haven't shipped it in a few days. Well, two days later they acknowledged my email and the site said those discs had been shipped, well I still haven't gotten them. Looks like the "next day arrival" guarantee only applies on your first disc. Also, the first item in my queue I got (they sent me both discs of the 2-disc set, maybe that's a good thing) came from some dude's home address in Northern Minnesota. I don't know what kind of two-bit operation they are running here, but I am regreting giving them all my cc info.

Since I can't get my $12.95 back, I might as well go with this until right before my sub. ends, then I'm gonna cancel the heck outta this worthless company. I should have stuck with BB.
Old 10-07-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You got a DVD shipped to you from some guys home address? LOL.
Old 10-08-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well it was probably their distribution center here in Minny, but they don't spend much time or money on their appearance. Netflix and BB have a professional look to their packaging, these guys didn't apply labels or anything to their package. My address and the return address was written in pen, and ACTUAL stamps were attached to the package as opposed to how everyone else does it.

So it wasn't from an actual guy's house, but what I meant was it looked that way. Very amateurish.

Has anyone had a good experience with these people?
Old 10-19-04, 11:27 AM
Cool New Member

I cancelled my account which is final in 2 days, now, they decide to ship me 2 movies....

Now, I know they are going to try and charge me and I have already complained via their 'support', no reply yet.

This is what I call the good old bait and switch.....

Well, I told them upfront I would have visa do a recharge on them... Too many of those and they can lose there ability to do business.

REALLY BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE!!!!!
Old 10-23-04, 08:53 AM

hand written addy

hey thats pretty funny. good thing you guys gave me the heads up on "the barn", I was thinking about joining. Instead it looks like a netflix upgrade for me.
Trav
Old 10-30-04, 04:41 PM

do u like really like to rent movies online?
Old 10-30-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not recommend these people at all!

Even though I did not do their rental service, they offered a service of buying dvds.

I sent an online invoice to them with the dvds I was selling to them and they e-mailed me back saying that they would send a check out a few days after they received the dvds.

I sent the dvds (by UPS with tracking number) and received nothing back. Gave them around two weeks as I didn't mind if they were having problems etc.

Well I e-mailed them after two weeks (after the date they received my dvds) and they NEVER e-mailed me back.

I e-mailed and I e-mailed and e-mailed.

Finally I e-mailed them a scathing letter telling them I will request lawful action if they did not reply to me.

All of a sudden, they e-mailed me back within the hour saying they did not accept dvds to buy.

I called them liars and directed them to their webpage.

Within an hour of receving another e-mail they had taken that part of their website down (but not after I copied the entire webpage onto my harddrive.)

I told them I wanted my dvds back and I wanted my shipping costs back as well.

If I had not contacted them (or used a tracking number) I would have been out almost $300.

I find it odd that since they received my dvds and since they DO NOT buy dvds any longer they did not send me an e-mail telling me that they no longer buy dvds.

I wholeheartedly believe that they were just going to keep my dvds.

Even though I told them I would only contact the BBB if they did not return my dvds, I contacted the BBB anyway.

And seeing as how you guys are giving them bad reviews, they are not recommended at all.
Old 11-19-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by HE Pennypacker
So far I am having a HORRIBLE experience with this place.

They shipped my first disc right away, and I got it the next day! Which is what they guarantee, if you are in their next day arrival zone, you will get an item the next day after they ship it. I was really impressed and thought this might be a great place.

However, items 2 and 3 in my queue didn't ship until I emailed them stating they haven't shipped it in a few days. Well, two days later they acknowledged my email and the site said those discs had been shipped, well I still haven't gotten them. Looks like the "next day arrival" guarantee only applies on your first disc. Also, the first item in my queue I got (they sent me both discs of the 2-disc set, maybe that's a good thing) came from some dude's home address in Northern Minnesota. I don't know what kind of two-bit operation they are running here, but I am regreting giving them all my cc info.

Since I can't get my $12.95 back, I might as well go with this until right before my sub. ends, then I'm gonna cancel the heck outta this worthless company. I should have stuck with BB.
This service is HORRIBLE! Since I signed up last Friday there has only been 1 movie in my queue that has shipped.

It was the 2-disc edition of "GoodFellas" and I received both discs . . . so that is sort of a plus. It was shipped on Saturday and I received it on Tuesday which is NOT next day service as they explain on their website.

I have only 6 movies in my queue and they are constantly prompting me to enter more when I sign in. They explain that having at least 10 choices in your queue at all times increases your chances of getting a movie. This is a 3-out plan and so far I only have 1 movie in hand ....ALL WEEK! There is also no availability status so that I can see what is a long wait, short wait ......etc.

The shipping "center" that my movie came from is actually an independent video store just down the street from me . . . .OF WHICH I AM A MEMBER!!!!

I am certainly cancelling my account at the end of my sub. and I hold little hope of even seeing one of the other films I currently have in my queue.