Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy no receipt return policy

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-26-04, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly is Best Buy's return policy for DVDs without a receipt. Obviously they have to be unopened and you only get store credit. I've done this at the Costa Mesa, CA Best Buy, but how many times can you do it? how many items at a time? any price cap? I know they keep count of how many times you do it, but how long is this record kept? and with the holidays approaching, do the same rules apply as the rest of the year? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-26-04, 11:41 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think they take your driver's licence number to keep track of it and have heard of rumors that they allow 3 returns w/o receipt per year.

Lots of BB simply won't accept returns w/o receipt, except right after Christmas.
Old 10-26-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is my understanding that BB will allow 3 returns in a calendar year without a receipt. They keep track by writing down your driver's license number. You can return as many DVDs as you want each time, but you are limited to 3 seperate trips. They might give you grief if you return a large amount at one time, so it is better to spread it out over the 3 trips. My BB is very lenient at Xmas time-they even have a sign stating that you can return without a receipt until January 24. If you ask for store credit, they usually don't give you a hard time. If you want an actual refund, then you're in for trouble.
Old 10-27-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau

Lots of BB simply won't accept returns w/o receipt, except right after Christmas.
Yep - jan 24 is the cutoff for xmas returns. Best buy in milpitas, ca wouldn't take a dvd unopened, best buy sticker intact, on feb 1 last year. Not even for store credit, even though I had the receipt from my friend. I had just seen her the day before as our schedules never coincided at xmas time - they could care less. I even went to the manager, who was extremely rude and obnoxious. Won't ever shop there after that, and told my friends about their horrid customer service.
Old 10-27-04, 04:34 PM

Huh, the Costa Mesa, CA Best Buy I go to allows returns without the receipt year round. Do any of you know if they count the returns without receipt during the holidays towards the 3 per year?
Old 10-27-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Be careful about asking this question here. You will get nailed by the moral/ethics police.
Old 10-27-04, 05:58 PM

Well, to avoid anything like that, I am only talking about products bought at Best Buy, paid for in cash, but lost the receipt.