Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Warning (eBay seller "exitchaos")

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Warning (eBay seller "exitchaos")

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-04, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning

there is a guy on ebay by the name "exitchaos" that is selling very very good fakes. there are others as well, im sure. most of the time bootlegs are pretty easy to spot. but these are good work.

they look real on quick inspection. sealed copies with the rebate sticker. they even have a reproduced strip sticker on the top of the case.

however, art on the disc itself is not textured (should be), and the stick used to print the inserts is a little too glossy. those are the quickest ways to notice them.

i suggest if buying these on ebay, do so in a manner where you can get your $$ back in the event of this. i know most people out there are aware of Disney LI bootlegs. i was too, but not anything of this quality. be careful what you order, and inspect it closely upon receiving it. wouldnt want anyone getting ripped off.

schan
Old 10-24-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 289 Posts
I love the warning that exitchaos has on the bottom of each page. *Beware of DVD Sellers from Asia*
:-)
Old 10-24-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should be a general warning period when buying on ebay. Be a smart shopper. I don't think dvdtalk should really have a growing list of names to be worried about since it would be pretty long.
Old 10-24-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 392 Likes on 325 Posts
If you look at all the stuff he sells its all just OOP disney stuff. That should raise some curiosity.
Old 10-24-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Unless you're extremely knowledgable of bootleg DVD's, Disney or not, you have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. His feedback is all positive except for one guy who gave him three negatives. Is it possible this one guy has a grudge against the seller because he had a problem with one of the discs? Nobody else seems to have had any problems. It's also possible that all those other people who left positives were happy to settle for discs they weren't aware were fakes, and subsequently had no problems with. But again, maybe they're not fakes. So this guy is selling nothing but Disneys. Maybe he works close enough with some part of Disney, and he was able to buy a shitload of them at cost to make himself a little profit. Maybe they look a little lesser in quality because they had printing mistakes and what-not, to the point they were rejected by Disney for sale to the public. Who knows?

Just playing devil's advocate.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 10-24-04 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-24-04, 09:24 PM

yeah, that does raise some curiosity. the fact that he does it and doesnt have an ebay store is curious too. i wouldnt normally post something of this kind except that they are very good fakes. something it appears that 200 or so others failed to spot. most of the time you see them they are bad and obvious. but these are so good that unless you have other LI's to compare to or know exactly what to look for, you wont notice. in any case, i will be looking for that "set" of photos on auctions under other names before i buy. hope i helped at least someone :c)
Old 10-24-04, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Received 807 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by The_Infidel
Unless you're extremely knowledgable of bootleg DVD's, Disney or not, you have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. His feedback is all positive except for one guy who gave him three negatives. Is it possible this one guy has a grudge against the seller because he had a problem with one of the discs? Nobody else seems to have had any problems.
And the feedback guy sold "Random McDonald Monopoly pieces" in one of his auctions.. (doesn't even say if they were opened or not).
Old 10-25-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but doesn't anyone else think that kovacs01 = exitchaos? I'd bet a week's salary...
Old 10-25-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flave
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but doesn't anyone else think that kovacs01 = exitchaos? I'd bet a week's salary...

Why would you think that?

I don't think people would think of this as a great new source for OOP Disney titles, but rather as bootlegs to avoid...

There are a couple of threads about some of these dvds, and the consensus was that they were bootleg, although very good copies.
Old 10-25-04, 02:08 PM

its not a case of "beware this particular seller" more "beware ebay" ... there are some great factory-bootlegs (thankfully) on ebay of some really obscure and hard to find (impossible with subs!) that i am greatful for...
Old 10-25-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

has anyone reported him to ebay? his feedback was good until recently. he denies the fact that they are bootlegs.
Old 10-25-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

unless he had a copy of real products..or he uses photos of real copies and sends out fake ones..the screenshots show the "disney" logo in the plastic wrap ...if you say he does all the things he does..in addition to fake plastic wrap..that's pretty far to make a buck.
Old 10-25-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

though now that I think about it ..it does seem weird how he only sells disney stuff..and seems to have a endless supply of it ..most people probably don't notice the disney logo on the plastic..and his pictures may show the seal & rebate but people may receive it just sealed and not assume anything bad (especially if they're real keen on finding defects/faults..)
Old 10-25-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
That is a good point. I didn't think about the fact that he may be using legit pics and sending bad discs. But again, why has it only been this one guy who has had anything bad to say?
Old 10-25-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been researching these bootlegs quite a bit on ebay just by searching around through many, many auctions. There are DEFINITELY new, high quality bootlegs out there with security and rebate stickers. Call them super-bootlegs, if you will. The ways to spot them are by the white case type (many use amaray brand cases with the star-shaped center, while disney uses the yin-yang hub), by packaging color (the bootlegs use a slightly darker hue), and by on-disc print texturing.

One problem with detecting LI bootlegs is that the original, legit LI series is of such poor quality. I've found printing errors on legitimate discs, and the text quality is poor throughout the entire series.

In short, it has become totally unsafe to buy LI DVD's on ebay. A general rule to follow is to NEVER buy from someone who sells only Disney DVD's, because that is an immediate red flag. Another red flag is someone who keeps all his auctions private - this prevents you from seeing that he only lists disney DVD's. Finally, some of these sellers are stupid - I saw one guy with several hundred positives (no negatives) selling sealed Disney LI's, and when I looked through his bid history, he was periodically buying "Disney-style" white amaray cases on ebay.
Old 01-10-05, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Flave

how much do you make in a week? i need to buy a wedding ring.........
Old 01-12-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kovacs01
how much do you make in a week? i need to buy a wedding ring.........
Akward...