Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Overstock boycott

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Overstock boycott

Old 10-17-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5,000 free dvd's and not a damn dvd player in sight. Or at least that's the impression I get from Iraq.
Old 10-17-04, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by netresults
Well I happen to know what the original meaning of Boycott is, since it originated in a protest against one Captain Boycott in the land I was born in: Ireland. It had nothing to do with hurting someone's livelyhood because of their legitimate exercise of their political right to advocate, or to counter someone else's advocacy. Remember, the said DVD is merely a response to a Liberal advocate's, namely Michael Moore's, DVD political expression. I say this as a proud Liberal. Moore and the CEO of Overstock are just engaged in the modern day equivelent of partisan media editorials. The individual retains all rights to accept or reject either viewpoint, just the same as they would decide if they find either the Wall Street Journal or NY Times Editoral comments persuasive. The fellow who started this called for an organized boycott because he disagreed with the political campaign efforts of the CEO of Overstock, and not because said CEO or Corp. was doing anything to infringe on the wellfare of any other Individual or Group. I disagree with the Wall Street Journal. Does that mean that fellow liberals should Boycott them and Business's which buy ads from them. If this chap doesn't want to shop at Overstock, who is going to require him to?. If I don't want to subscribe to the Wall Street Journal who is going to make me do so?. Keep Boycotts for what we Irish started them for, the redress of authentic collective social grievence, and not to stifle Michael Moore or his Overstock counter part. Just because you disagree with someone, that doesn't mean you are being wronged. Enough of this petty, ooh I don't like what he just expressed, let's all burn him at the financial stake. If you want to be allowed to declare your political views, you must allow those who hold opposing views the same, unintimidated right. That is all I have to say on this subject. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. A fine political and social creedo from a pretty sharp Irishman named O'Jesus.

NetResults
I disagree with you and call on all DVDTalker to boycott, Neyresults! Just kidding...... I do agree with you about an organized boycott against overstock, I just disagree with you that if anybody wants to boycott overstock for the said reason, then I do not think you or I could stop them! When you can not stop them then infact it is moot to even discuss whether or not a boycott is justified! No one can make people continue to shop at a store if they choose not to for any reason! Just my $.02.
Old 10-18-04, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by aspikes
I disagree with you and call on all DVDTalker to boycott, Neyresults! Just kidding...... I do agree with you about an organized boycott against overstock, I just disagree with you that if anybody wants to boycott overstock for the said reason, then I do not think you or I could stop them! When you can not stop them then infact it is moot to even discuss whether or not a boycott is justified! No one can make people continue to shop at a store if they choose not to for any reason! Just my $.02.
Read what I wrote. I said the same thing. No one can make any individual shop or not shop anywhere at anytime. Therefore since you can not disagree with me by making a statement which agrees with what I had said, I am issuing a full $.02 refund to you. You still are misussing the meaning of the word boycott. An individual acting on their own is not a boycott. Boycott is a collective action.

Jimmy Dale Gilmore is a genius. Check out his Spinning Around The Sun, CD masterpiece, folks.

NetResults
Old 10-27-04, 04:36 AM

get the freebies.... why not?
Old 10-27-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by netresults
An individual acting on their own is not a boycott. Boycott is a collective action.
A boycott can be individual or collective. While it generally only has the effect of expressing the conscience of the solitary boycotter on an individual level, and is obviously much more socially effective when it's collective, both equally represent the spirit of the idea.