Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon and the Shawshank Redemption LE

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-04-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pre-ordered the Shawshank Redemption box set. I check the status today if it had shipped and the estimated shipping delivery date says November 2nd. WTF? Anyone have this problem? I just cancelled my order. Best Buy it is!
Old 10-04-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shipping and delivery estimates at Amazon are not accurate. I always receive orders sooner than the estimated times. Take what Amazon says on their website with a grain a salt.
Old 10-04-04, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine said Oct. 11-16 estimated shipping date and it shipped today, the 4th.
Old 10-05-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crap mine says November 1st. If you look at the order page it says "Out of Stock" and they will let you know if they have problems getting these from the manufacturer. Double Crap. Mine doesnt even say shipping soon...
Old 10-05-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The product page now says: "Availability: Usually ships within 2 to 3 days". So it looks like Amazon will start to ship more out. But they did raise the price to $33.74 (25% off). Good thing that I pre-ordered it.
Old 10-06-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
This is making me mad BOTH Shawshank and Aladdin are listed for shipping next week despite being released this week. WTF? They aren't even classified as "shipping soon."

I might call to complain later. Usually they are on top of pre-orders.
Old 10-06-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Emailed and already got a cookie cutter response:

Thanks for writing to Amazon.com.

"The Shawshank Redemption (Deluxe Limited Edition)" and "Aladdin
(Disney Special Platinum Edition Collector's Gift Set)" has proven to
be very popular items.

We have many customer orders for these items, and we've just begun
receiving copies from our suppliers. We are filling orders as
quickly as we can on a first-come, first-served basis.

We expect to ship your orders in the next few business days. On the
date of shipment, we'll send you an e-mail message confirming the
date, contents, and method of your shipment.

The estimated delivery dates for your orders:

order # ... -- October 14, 2004 - October 16, 2004

order # ... -- October 14, 2004 - October 15, 2004

Further, please note that the estimated date of shipment was
calculated at the time you placed your order and is based on the
availability of the items in your order, the proximity of inventory
to the delivery address you provided and the shipping method you
chose.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com.

I don't believe the demand for Shawshank DELUXE is that great. Sounds hokie. I guess I wait until next week.
Old 10-06-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well mine date keeps slipping, not cool it now says: "Expected Delivery November 6 - 20 " That is terrible, this is my first bad experience w/ an Amazon preorder normally I have them by Thursday of release week at the latest, normally on Tuesday.
Old 10-06-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like Amazon way underestimated the demand for the LE.
Old 10-07-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sorry to hear that cseyer.

Yeah, normally even with the free shipping I get them the day of release and sometimes on Monday.

Kal, that is what I don't understand. With pre-orders they know EXACTLY how many they need. We already paid for it. They should order that amount and then some for stragglers that order after release.
Old 10-07-04, 02:58 PM

I must be one of the lucky ones since mine shipped on Oct. 5th and is out for delivery today(should receive it today)

My pre-order for the Friday the 13th Box, however, has been stuck in the "shipping soon" status for 3 days now
Old 10-08-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I did get my Friday the 13th set on Tuesday, if I had to choose which one to get this week I got the right one. Shawshank still says November and the latest

Availability: Please note that titles occasionally go out of print or publishers run out of stock. We will notify you within 2 to 3 weeks if we have trouble obtaining this title.

So it is obvious they are having stock issues with this title.

Well I may pick it up this weekend and cancel my Amazon order even though it was a pretty good price.
Old 10-08-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess I can get behind the lack of Shawshanks because reviewers didn't even get any copies in advance. But Disney UNDER-producing a title the week of release? I doubt that will ever happen.
Old 10-08-04, 05:00 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not just Amazon (whom I just cancelled my order with, and swapped my business over to DVDEmpire)--walmart.com and target.com don't have it in stock; buy.com, circuitcity.com and DeepDiscountDVD.com don't even have a listing for it; and DVDPlanet.com states it's been discontinued (?!). Something stinks in DVD Denmark...
Old 10-09-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon put a temp charge on my debit card a couple days ago when it switched to shipping soon but it says:

"November 8, 2004 - November 24, 2004" for a delivery date

Edit: They shipped it today (the 11th)

Last edited by Adrenaline; 10-11-04 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, received mine yesterday. The dvd box was bent all to hell.

I wanted to return it, but with the situation about supply, I went ahead and opened it. Watched the movie, half the features and listened to the sdtk today at work. Haven't had a chance to look at the book yet. The box it came in was a flimsy P.O.S. to begin with and Amazon manhandled it before shipping.
Old 10-29-04, 08:11 PM

Amazon always take loger to ship their items out
Old 11-04-04, 08:22 PM

They cancelled my order and referred me to the normal edition. Thanks Amazon..
Old 11-04-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by guildda
They cancelled my order and referred me to the normal edition. Thanks Amazon..
They cancelled my order that was supposed to ship next month with several other DVDs. Unfortunately I had a $20 coupon on the order that has now dropped off. I will have to call customer service to see if they will restore the discount. I'm not very happy about this. Here is the email I received this afternoon.

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We are sorry to report that the following item is no
longer available from our supplier. However, we have learned that a substitute is available under a different Item number. You may link directly to our catalog page for the substitute using the URL beneath the unavailable item:

Ordered item: Frank Darabont (Director), et al "The Shawshank
Redemption (Deluxe Limited Edition)"
Substitute: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002J4ZWS

The unavailable item has been cancelled from your order. If you would like to purchase the substitute item, please visit our web site to place a new order.

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address
that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this
message.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com, and we hope to see you again.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
http://www.amazon.com
Old 11-05-04, 01:57 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
They cancelled my order that was supposed to ship next month with several other DVDs. Unfortunately I had a $20 coupon on the order that has now dropped off. I will have to call customer service to see if they will restore the discount. I'm not very happy about this. Here is the email I received this afternoon.
[/B]
Definitely tell them that you applied a coupon to the order which is now canceled by them not you. They should be able to issue you another $20 coupon. I assume it's a $20 promotional coupon which expired by now, right?

A similar situation happend to me a year ago and they just replaced the coupon after I sent them an email.
Old 11-05-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by eau
Definitely tell them that you applied a coupon to the order which is now canceled by them not you. They should be able to issue you another $20 coupon. I assume it's a $20 promotional coupon which expired by now, right?

A similar situation happend to me a year ago and they just replaced the coupon after I sent them an email.
I was able to get the $20 back but it wasn't easy. I was on the phone last night with a CSR who sounded like he was from India for almost an hour. At first he kept insisting I didn't lose any discounts even though I cancelled my Shawshank order, and that the $10 in promotional certificates were still applied to the order. I had to keep telling him the order wasn't cancelled by me, the $10 remaining were STL discounts, and the $20 coupon originally used dropped off when they modified the order. I kept going back and forth with him on this issue for a while when he decided to either give me a $10 promotional certificate, or a $10 discount on the order. I then had to explain it was still leaving me $10 short. More arguing before he finally offered me both the discount and promotional certificate. I would have preferred $20 off my existing order but figured this offer was acceptable, and didn't want to spend any more time arguing with the CSR.
Old 11-08-04, 06:37 PM

They cancelled my Shawshank LE... it sucks, now where can I get it for the price I was getting it....
thx amzon...
Old 11-08-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Snowflakes
They cancelled my Shawshank LE... it sucks, now where can I get it for the price I was getting it....
thx amzon...
A few days ago Best Buy still had it listed in stock for about $35 if you are still interested. Prices are starting to climb rapidly at Amazon Marketplace for sealed copies (over $60). I would imagine Ebay and Half are not any different for rising prices now that sets are becoming hard to find. While I was disappointed my order was cancelled, the 2 disc edition is good enough compared to the over priced LE. The only content you're sacrificing are a book and a CD soundtrack. I thought the LE was worth no more than $25 anyway, which was a little more then what I pre-ordered it for at Amazon..