Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVDsoon...are they any good?

Old 05-31-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DVDsoon...are they any good?

I've recently begun collecting the MGM midnite movies, and have found that this Canadian site has the best overall prices on the web. In searching this forum, I have seen a few complaints about French cover art on the titles, and generally bad customer service. But I have seen equally as many good reports. But many of these posts are sevarl months old, and others date to last year. Has anyone here tried this site out recently and had any problems? I'd love to order from them, but I'm always hesitant to try out a new place without recommendations.

Also, I discovered you can't order more than 8 titles at a time. Is it possible to have more than 1 order going, or do you have to wait until your first order of 8 is completely paid for and shipped to place another?

Last edited by Living Dead; 05-31-04 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-31-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't ordered from them in a long time but really never had a problem with them. But the reason I no longer purchase anything from DVDSoon is that I don't like their policy of immediately charging your credit card for an order, even including preorders. They can also be a little slow in shipping items, especially if they are out of stock. If you do a search on the store forum you should find many threads with pros and cons about DVDSoon. I'm sure your thread will generate a few other opinions about them.
Old 06-01-04, 02:10 AM

Click for previous threads on this topic

DVDTalk forum search
Old 06-01-04, 02:47 AM

Gee, thanks for the link to the search engine, I guess I'm still trying to find my way around this newfangled "internet", because I never would have found that on my own.

I know how to use the search function. If you read my post, you would see that I said I ALREADY SEARCHED, but many of the posts are several months old, just like the ones in your link.

Just asking for some recent opinions, to see if their service has improved this year.

Last edited by Living Dead; 06-01-04 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-01-04, 03:18 PM

recently, i bought Kill Bill I, ROTK and World War II collection from dvdsoon. they shipped ROTK on May 20th and i got it on May 21st. to make things better, they provide free shipping on all orders. Their customer service is pretty good too as they reply my email within a couple days. i would recommend to buy from them IF the dvd is in stock.
Old 06-01-04, 04:01 PM

That seems to ge the only general complaint, that if a DVD is not in stock it may take you forever to get it. i guess I'll go ahead and make a small order of in stock items and see for myself. Thanks!
Old 06-01-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, they suck donkey dookie. One of the worst online etailers. It's like a shell game with these people. Give them your money and hope you pick the right one where you'll get the DVD.

It's not worth the hassle. Their CS is reprehensible, as is a large majority of their business practices. I wouldn't order from these people if I had a gift certificate.
Old 06-03-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ordered twice from them, got my stuff both times. Never an issue. :up" from me.
Old 06-03-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I've ordered dozens of times from them. I've had a couple problems which were resolved quickly and easily by polite and professional CSRs. If you can accept the eccentricities of the site you can save a lot of money.
Old 06-03-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movielib
I've ordered dozens of times from them. I've had a couple problems which were resolved quickly and easily by polite and professional CSRs. If you can accept the eccentricities of the site you can save a lot of money.
Agreed. I have ordered hundreds of DVDs from the site. I have always gotten the DVD, preorders often before street date. Some DVDs I have had to wait for but I am not in a rush. Any problem I have had has been quickly and easily resolved.
Old 06-03-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I generally agree with the posts above. I've only ordered from them a few times (when they had an exceptional price on something or offered something I couldn't get elsewhere) and I've never had a problem getting my items, but the shipping took much longer (probably three times as long) as other online stores.
Old 06-06-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've used dvdsoon occasionally and, in my personal experience, I wouldn't order anything from them that they didn't say was currently in stock. I've had preorder items sitting in my wait to ship screen for weeks after the release date that I eventually just cancelled and bought elsewhere. However, I think they're usually ok when the items list as in stock. Takes a few days to ship but the price sometimes makes it worth it.

Hope that helps
Michael
Old 06-07-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is my "deal" with them.

I ordered Bubba Ho-Tep from them two weeks ago today, and was charged at that time. I'm ok with that, no big deal. Two weeks have went by however, and I have yet to see the DVD. I called last week after a week went by, and told them that I hadn't got the DVD yet and the online status was still in "pending", it wasn't even set as being packed up yet.

They said it would be sent by this past Friday.

So I look it up on the website again and it is still listed as "pending". I just got off the phone with them again, and they are now saying that they don't have anymore, and are waiting for the studio to send them some more copies. Then they go on to say that they may or may not get anymore from them. I obviously ask what I can do, and they say "not much" and that I just may or may not ever get the DVD, blah blah blah.

I'm about ready to just cancel my order from them as this is just too frustrating.

I bought something from them once before, and it got to me in just a few days, but this is just bad service and somewhat rude CS if you ask me, over this Bubba Ho-Tep thing.
Old 06-09-04, 06:13 PM

Well, I went ahead and placed an order just to try them out. I kept it small and limited my order to in stock items only, as has been recommended. That was June 2, and now my order has been updated to PACKAGING. It seems that they do take a long time to ship, but I wasn't in a hurry and I chose the free shipping, so that doesn't really matter to me. I feel confident that there have been enough good posts about them that I will come out okay.
Old 06-11-04, 01:03 PM
Cool New Member

Well, here is my first and last experience with them. I ordered the Chicago Bulls Dynasty on June 2nd, which was listed as "In Stock". I got 1 e-mail saying that my order was received. My credit card was charged immediately.

A week went by, and I heard nothing from them. I checked my order status and it was still "pending". I e-mailed them and told them it was a gift and I needed it ASAP. I also asked them why they charged my credit card when it wasn't even in stock. They replied that they had no idea when they might get it in stock or when I might receive it, and then pasted some terms explaining how it was to my benefit (?)that they charged my card immediately.

Here's the kicker. I canceled my order, and told them so in my e-mail reply. They then e-mailed back that while I may have canceled my order, I would not get a refund until I went back in to my account and requested one(??) When I did that, it said it would take a minimum of 21 days before I would receive my refund.

Some may have had luck with this company, but I will NEVER order from them again.
Old 06-11-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Doniphon
I also asked them why they charged my credit card when it wasn't even in stock. They replied that they had no idea when they might get it in stock or when I might receive it, and then pasted some terms explaining how it was to my benefit (?)that they charged my card immediately.
They charge your card immediately so you get the exchange rate for the day you bought it. Otherwise it would be a crapshoot on what the cost would be when the got it in.

Here's the kicker. I canceled my order, and told them so in my e-mail reply. They then e-mailed back that while I may have canceled my order, I would not get a refund until I went back in to my account and requested one(??) When I did that, it said it would take a minimum of 21 days before I would receive my refund.
I believe their policy is to give you credit to their site unless you ask for a refund (like you did). I've cancelled a few things, but I just keep the store credit until I buy something else there.

For pre-orders, they are usually awesome with ship dates. I would say about half of my pre-orders have shipped the week before the street date, so I get them on or before when they would normally be out. The rest of them are shipped _at the latest_ on the street date.

Their site is a lot more user friendly now. You can see what is going on with each individual title of an order. They will ship things out one at a time if you have pre-orders and it will be updated timely on their web site. Also, I believe you can cancel individual titles from their site too.

As for others who have had problems with them, I don't know what to say. I've never really ordered anything on back-order, so I can't relate to those problems. The only "problem" I had once is I ordered a title that was OOP, and they ran out of stock. I don't really blame them for not shipping it to me and gave me store credit. I've probably ordered about 50 titles from them.
Old 06-18-04, 06:24 PM

Everyone who said they take forever to ship was certainly right...it's been nearly 3 weeks since I placed my order, and it is still listed as packaging. But I'm in no hurry, so it really doesn't matter to me as long as it arrives.

I did call customer service though, since this is my first order and I didn't know how long it would actually take, and I was told they are behind on orders, and should be caught up in a few days. I don't know if it was BS or not, but I'll definitely never use this site if I'm in a hurry.
Old 06-26-04, 02:03 PM

what the hey! I'm gonna give DVDsoon a try. I'm slowly building my collection to include a blind buy of Almost Famous: Director's SE, Bootleg cut. It's a top 20 pick suggested from Cinema review and according to DVD Price search their price is way lower than anyone else.
Old 06-26-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can tell you I will never use DVDSoon again.

I ordered the Robocop Trilogy and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 from them on June 6th. Nearly 3 weeks later it's still in Packaging, where it's been for nearly 2 weeks.

I may not be in a rush to get these, but that doesn't mean they can take a month or more to get me my products, especially when they've already charged me for them. Other sites don't seem to have a problem getting their items back in stock.
Old 06-29-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided to take a look at my order again, and somehow, my order has gone from Packaging to PENDING?!?!?!

I don't get this place. They have to be the single worst site I've ever dealt with.

I could have bought this in a store the week it came out, but nooooo I had to try this crappy site because they had such a great deal. Now if I cancel it I'd have to pay full price in stores.

That's what I get for going Canadian. Never again will this place get my money.
Old 06-30-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can't cancel- you pay up front and they'll only give you credit.

It's all there in their terms.
Old 07-03-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not true, you can get that credit they give you refunded to your credit card.

http://www.dvdsoon.com/members/creditRefund.action
Old 07-09-04, 12:57 AM

You seldom hear when they do it right...

Update: My order of Almost Famous arrived in great shape in eight (8) business days. When I originally placed the order, it was an in-stock item. The tracking info on their website slowly showed it moving from pending to packaging, then finally to shipped.

IOW, A positive experience from DVD Soon.
Old 07-16-04, 05:30 PM

My experience:

I ordered something on DVDSoon.com, then decided next day to cancel it and order something else. My credit card was charged immediately for both transactions (like stated in the FAQ) and I had to apply for a refund for the order I cancelled. I did so, and my money was refunded a couple weeks later, like stated in the FAQ. On the second item I ordered, I received it in a reasonable amount of time.

Summary: They did exactly what they said they'd do in the FAQ. I have no complaints here.
Old 07-16-04, 07:07 PM
dxx
Cool New Member

I wish I read this thread before I ordered from them. Live and learn... Ordered two items. First item arrived today after about a month from the order date. Second item was in stock when I ordered, but now it is on back order. I'm cancelling and requesting a refund....

Worst of all, the dvd I got today has the french titles and shit on the cover. My mistake for assuming that Canada is the 51st state :P (joking).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.