Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How Bad Are The Workers At Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

How Bad Are The Workers At Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used to always yell about best buy, but they got smart. they hired a really cute girl in the DVD dept. i had to wait 20 minutes for her to make me a raincheck but i didnt care at all.
Old 05-10-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My answer is that there are no better or worse than anywhere else.

scarredgod, if I may ask what is the story behind your sig?
Old 05-11-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His sig seems pretty self-explanatory. Though I would disagree with it.

Hey Tarantino, show us what you GOT, not what you WATCHED...you unoriginal bitch

One of Tanantino's key criticisms it that he is very good at borrowing from others and reusing ideas in his own films. He has seen a lot of films and probably borrowed a lot from those films for use in his own films. He could be said to be unoriginal.

Kill Bill is nothing new in terms of content. However,
you could say that he has put the pieces together better than most. You could also say he is something less.
Old 05-11-04, 10:51 AM
Retired

Originally posted by al_bundy
if you want low price then you go to best buy or CC or some other big store. If you want good service then you need to go find a small specialty store and pay their higher prices for the service.
Exactly. IMO, most of the people complaining are at fault for going in the store needing help.

I know what I want, fortunately the BB near me is well organized, so I don't have problems finding things. If it's not on the shelf where it should be, I just leave and get it elsewhere. I'm not going to waste my time having them check the computer or whatever. Afterall, I'm going there to buy CDs and DVDs and these aren't things I have to have that exact moment.
Old 05-14-04, 12:24 PM

My local best buy in Asheville NC has always been pleasant. My only negative experiance with them is when they didn't hire me, which in hind site, I'm really glad I never had to work there.

The local Circuit City, however, is absolutely terrible.
Old 05-14-04, 04:25 PM

Being a P/T BBy employee myself, I can attest to the rampant idiocy throughout my store. Big Blue does precious little, if ANY, product knowledge training. The small amount of training employees DO receive is all about "closing the sale, offering the complete solution", etc. So, in most cases, if you didnt know about something before you got there, odds are you WONT learn it there. That being said, there are a FEW folks there who are motivated enough to learn things, and be knowledgable and helpful.

Last edited by digitalboy; 05-14-04 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-14-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by diesteldorf
His sig seems pretty self-explanatory. Though I would disagree with it.

Hey Tarantino, show us what you GOT, not what you WATCHED...you unoriginal bitch
I thought he was taking a swipe at the Forum member Tarantino. My bad.
Old 05-15-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Haha, good stuff.

I also disagree with it, but obviously never took offense.

Old 05-18-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well here was my Tuesday (new release day) at Worst Buy.

Walk in, get assaulted by the Wal-Mart greeter at the door.

Walk to the DVD section, only to discover that the new releases are on a table nowhere near the actual DVD part of the store.

I actually find something in stock for a decent price (for a change) that I want to buy.

I take my DVD's to the register and wait and wait and wait . . . .

while the girl tries to run a ticket through the register 6 times in a row. Obviously it is not working, however that does not stop her. As the lines pile up another cashier opens and offers to take me as I was next. I never leave a line once I am in it because experience has taught me that it will take me longer than if I had stayed put. Everyone behind me goes to the other line at which point (I am not making this up) the girl in my line asks the other cashier for help. The second cashier promptly leaves her new line to come help the first girl.

I wait 5 more minutes (total of 10+ now) for the two of them to figure out that they cannot do whatever they are trying to do while two lines of customers stand around.

I leave the DVD's I intended to buy on the counter and walk out.

Too bad their silly customer surveys don't work if you don't get a receipt.

How this store remains in business is a true mystery.
Old 05-18-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, no offense but that sounds rather silly getting upset over that, but hey, you have the right to do whatever you want

In the mean time... i visited the Best Buy today by South Coast Plaza for the first time in awhile, and man, they really cleaned that place up and made it look amazing. Multiple home theater setups placed around the store were fun to look at and sit in. The DVD shelves were aligned a bit funky, but not too shabby at all. It's a shame not all the new releases were on the new release shelf though.
Old 05-18-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
You hit it on the head with this one. There are never enough employees working and when you finally do get help, you feel like you're talking to a zombie.........please note: I'm pretty smart when it comes to electronics, It's the basic questions these people don't get like.........excuse me, where are your cable modems???
Old 05-19-04, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rival11
It's the basic questions these people don't get like.........excuse me, where are your cable modems???
They are trained to offer you a service plan, internet, accessories, or storage no matter what you say to them...not trained to know where product in the store is located at.
Old 05-19-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Rockmjd23
wow that sounds like the biggest tragedy in history...how will you ever get over waiting for over 10 minutes!!

Yeah, and I'm sure this is the first time this has happened to him/her there. Double

I've learned not to ask anyone at Best Buy for anything. I get in there as fast I can. Find what I want (and that can be a chore). And then get the hell out. Why? They have the best prices. Their customer service is still way up there with the worst.

Last edited by Daytripper; 05-19-04 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-19-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by UAIOE
They are trained to offer you a service plan, internet, accessories, or storage no matter what you say to them...not trained to know where product in the store is located at.
I hope you're joking. I'm pretty sure everyone has worked retail at one time or another (high school, college). I have. And you're also supposed to know where the product is located. Who needs training for that?
Old 05-19-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
it boils down to this... no matter how bad best buy is, it's still better than circuit city.

also, i agree completely with those that mentioned it. NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER buy something for store pick-up. i did it once and waited at the customer service desk (there was no line) for over 20 minutes while they tried to find the product i ordered. I could have gone in and bought it in a few minutes, but i mistakenly thought this could be faster, as i only had a little bit of time to run in and out. since i already paid, and wanted the product, i had to wait. but geez, so frustrating.
Old 05-19-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a Best Buy post I made back in November regarding the Bailey's Crossroads Virginia store:

I've posted here before about my bad experiences with the Best Buy in Bailey's Cross Road's Virginia, but continued to shop there for several reasons. First, it's the most convenient store for me to get to. And their prices are the lowest (Best Buy in general). My main problem with them has been that they never have many new titles the day they are released. And sometimes it takes days, even weeks, before they get them. But after today, I will never step foot in that store again. I called them the moment the store opened and asked if they had a title in stock that was released today. After being put on hold for a few minutes they came back and said "Yes, we have several copies". I went immediately to the store. And was there literally five minutes later. The title I called about? No where to be found. I looked everywhere because they stock their shelves pretty poorly. After looking for a good fifteen minutes, I looked for someone to check the back. Maybe that's where they were. I stopped two BB employees separately and they pointed me to someone else to help me. Finally, I walked up to two employees who were talking and asked them. One of them went to the back. A minute later that same employee walks back by me and said "He's checking for you", looking over his shoulder and pointing behind him. Who "he" was, I have no idea. I said "Wait...who's looking?" I mean, how was "he" supposed to know who asked!? The guy kept walking. I waited and waited. "He" never surfaced. I'm getting pretty f'n furious at this point. I ask the guy who greets people at the door for the manager. He tells me I have to stand in the customer service line. Huh!? Anyone who has ever been to BB knows that's the line of death. It never moves. And it didn't. So I go looking for "he" in the back myself. I went to the entrance of the storage room and pulled the plastic blinds back and saw a BB employee back there. I asked him "Are you the one looking for a DVD for a customer?" He had no idea what I was talking about. So he went to the computer to look up the title. This particular store did not have it. I went to another computer to search which Best Buy within a 10 mile radius did. And every other store but the one in Bailey's had it (according to the computer). So I left.
Old 05-19-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
wow that sounds like the biggest tragedy in history...how will you ever get over waiting for over 10 minutes!!
So you are saying that I should be glad to have waited? You are saying that all people should be willing to wait until the store sees fit take your money?

Well good for you if you have that much idle time on your hands. I simply wanted to purchase something. Being made to stand there watching two idiots refuse to ask for help just is not worth it.

I get in there as fast I can. Find what I want (and that can be a chore). And then get the hell out. Why? They have the best prices.
Hmm, sounds like a good plan. In my case it did not work.
Old 05-19-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We were discussing "customer service" today as work and we were surprised at how we have been trained to not receive any C.S. at Wal-mart and Home Depot but are upset when we don't receive service at places like Best Buy and Lowes.

At lunch we went over to the nearest Best Buy and as some of you said their new dvd releases were not in the section they were suppossed to be in. So we walked over to their new release wall/area and there they were. We then waited in line and the first employee we talked to was the cashier. We paid and looked at our watch and we spent a total of 23 minutes in the store. Not bad.

I know it isn't that way in every store but I think our expectations are based more on our attitude when we are in the store that makes the experience. There was a guy in front of us who appeared pissed that the line was moving slow to check out, but we thought it was moving fine.

Some of you have had good reasons not to shop there. It's just a little humourous to know that you will continue to go back even though you hate the place.
Old 05-19-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
We were discussing "customer service" today as work and we were surprised at how we have been trained to not receive any C.S. at Wal-mart and Home Depot but are upset when we don't receive service at places like Best Buy and Lowes.

Some of you have had good reasons not to shop there. It's just a little humourous to know that you will continue to go back even though you hate the place.
Exactly. People are such babies. I don't like the food or the service at Denny's, so I DON'T GO THERE. I don't sit on the computer and bitch about it.
Old 05-19-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tarantino
Exactly. People are such babies. I don't like the food or the service at Denny's, so I DON'T GO THERE. I don't sit on the computer and bitch about it.
Pot, meet kettle. Look at your bitching about us bitch. This is a discussion group is it not? You expect nothing but positive talk around here? Especially in this particular forum. It's to talk about shopping experiences. And not all of them are great pal. I said why I continue to shop at Best Buy. If their prices were higher, I wouldn't go.
Old 05-20-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Daytripper
I hope you're joking.
Best Buy meetings (well, the ones i had to go to) only covered how to sell service plans or how to talk to customers about buying service plans. They hardly ever covered anything outside of that area.
Old 05-20-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Ahhh, here we go again . . . the problem is who taught us to expect service at Best Buy? I don't see Walmart commercials touting their customer service. Walmart commercials only advertise their "low prices" (I still dispute that at times too). Best Buy commercials advertise their service, never their prices.

I cannot speak as to Home Depot (none around here) or Lowes (don't shop there), but in general it is the retailer itself that sets the expectations of its customers both in their "mission statement" and corporate attitudes about themselves AND in the reality of what goes on in their stores. Where the problems occur is when a company neglects the latter and only lives in its pristine image of itself, which most major corporations are guilty of.

Old 05-20-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You got me there. I asked a manager today what their mission statement was.

But I don't get from their commercials that they are big on C.S. I mean most wal-mart commercials have employees in their ads. I still think there focus is a little on humor and more on awareness.

That's just me tho'.
Old 05-21-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
You got me there. I asked a manager today what their mission statement was.

But I don't get from their commercials that they are big on C.S. I mean most wal-mart commercials have employees in their ads. I still think there focus is a little on humor and more on awareness.

That's just me tho'.
Admittedly, I couldn't tell you what a recent Best Buy commercial contains . . . I can't recall seeing any in quite some time. The ad campaign that I recall is the one where they were encouraging people to submit ways in which they could make the store better. It quickly devolved into "Give me free tickets to the Rolling Stones concert" and "Help me renovate my kitchen." Best Buy was sucker enough to advertise these things and show their employees as fun loving helpful people who had the answers to everything.

Another point, though I suppose not an actual advertisement, is having their "associates" walk around with clipboards acting like they actually have answers. When was the last time you saw somebody at Walmart walking a section, looking authoritative, carrying "the answers" that they didn't already know, and in uniform? Never. It is the company itself that has taught us what to expect.

Old 05-21-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The most recent Best Buy commercials i have seen (the ones where the employee is wisked away on customers video trips or whatnot) still present the store as having workers that are highly knowledgeable. I have never witnessed a commercial "employee" ask about service plans or accessories or anything.

The "Wal-Mart" commercials tend to either promote thier low prices or how "fun" a place like Wal-Mart is to work at.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.