Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Turn around time w/ Netflix

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else having problems w/ them recently. Usually they are fairly quick but ever since the holidays it's taking 2 to 3 times longer. I'm hoping it just a temporary thing but maybe a ton of people signed up after getting DVD players for Christmas...
Old 01-14-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has always been 1 day there 1 day back for me and still is, but I do live really close to distro centers.
Old 01-15-04, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was really slow right there around Christmas, but it's returned to normal for me now.
Old 01-15-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
No problems. One to two days to get a new title from my list.

(They did send me an e-mail survey yesterday to ask how fast I had been receiving my DVDs.)
Old 01-15-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does anybody in Hawaii use NetFlix? I don't see any delivery time exceptions noted for Hawaii, but I don't see how they can expect delivery in 1 - 3 days. (I have other First Class mail packages take up to 8 days to arrive. ) This is the factor which prevents me from trying them, as I don't think I can get them in and out fast enough.

If anyone here has any experiences in Hawaii, please share!
Old 01-15-04, 12:11 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Yep, but it's been a progressive slowdown (even though they moved me to a center 45min from my house).
It used to be 2-3 days to recieve, and 2-3 for them to get them back. Now it's 3-4 both ways. And when checking my queue, I've noticed they seem to be holding my disk 1 day before shipping it, where as before (with a rare exception) they would receive and ship the same day. So even if the 3-4 days is the USPS fault, Netflix is still holding disks an extra day.
Old 01-15-04, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shipments to me still usually show up the day after they are shipped. Shipments to them though are easily taking 2 to 3 days longer Oh well, hopefully it'll improve soon.

rkndkn I'm not sure about the ship time to Hawaii but if you want to do it I would recommend going w/ one of the more expensive plans (the 5 or 8 depending upon how frequently you watch things). Once you get the pattern down it's usually fairly easy to keep things moving (have 1 on hand, 1/2 going back to them, 1/2 coming to you). When things are flowing nicely I can get through 5-6 DVDs (on the 5 plan) a week... um... wonder if that explains the slow down (they put a throttle on me ).
Old 01-16-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Haven't noticed anything slower than normal. Two days there, one day back.
Old 01-16-04, 04:03 PM

Grapevine, TX

Shipped Tuesday, Site said it shipped 01/13 and I should have them by 01/15. 1/16 and still waiting.

This used to be next day turnaround. Definitely slower. Also, my center is in coppell, so it is close.
Old 01-16-04, 05:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a close center in New Jersey. One day each way for me.
Old 01-16-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sent Freddy vs. Jason back yesterday and they shipped my next title today. I did receive Freddy vs. Jason on Tuesday too! They shipped that on Monday.

One day turn around is great!

Also, they mailing address I ship back to is 20 minutes away.
Old 01-17-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I have a distribution center in my city, so it's always 1 day here/1 day back. Occasionally it will take an extra day, but I'm not complaing.
Old 01-17-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About a week turnaround. Three days there and three days back minimum. Sometimes it takes an extra day. Sucks compared to those who live near a distribution center.
Old 01-20-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts
How many DCs does Netflix have?
Old 01-20-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's always all over the place for me, never makes any sense. Sometimes I send 2 discs back on the same day (in 2 separate envelopes) - 1 gets checked in in 2 days, the other 3. (now I usually send them both in the same envelope).

Just a couple weeks ago I sent one back on Thursday and another on Saturday. Both got checked in on Monday.

The wierdest was this past week... I sent one back on Saturday and it got checked in on Monday - but I thought Monday was a national holiday with no USPS service?

Sometimes they'll check something in on the morning one day, but the status will say my next disc will be shipping the following day. Why can't they just ship it the same day? And its not that they got it late in the day or something, because sometimes its with the discs I send back 2 in one envelope. They'll ship 1 of the replacements the same day and the other says its going out the next day.

I stopped trying to understand them.
Old 01-20-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
How many DCs does Netflix have?
20 - listed in their site.
I live in Missouri yet my returns go to Minnesota. I know they have a DC in St. Louis Missouri, four hours away. I sent them a mail asking why my returns go clear to Minnesota instead of only four hours away but no reply yet.
Old 01-20-04, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
(now I usually send them both in the same envelope).

Sometimes they'll check something in on the morning one day, but the status will say my next disc will be shipping the following day. Why can't they just ship it the same day? And its not that they got it late in the day or something, because sometimes its with the discs I send back 2 in one envelope. They'll ship 1 of the replacements the same day and the other says its going out the next day.
That's how I finally figured out they were "holding" disks. 1 woulld get processed, the other wouldn't.
Old 01-20-04, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Easy
20 - listed in their site.
I don't think that list is any where near complete. I've had disks ship from 3 different places in NY State alone, plus 2 in PA.
Old 01-20-04, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by rkndkn
Does anybody in Hawaii use NetFlix? I don't see any delivery time exceptions noted for Hawaii, but I don't see how they can expect delivery in 1 - 3 days. (I have other First Class mail packages take up to 8 days to arrive. ) This is the factor which prevents me from trying them, as I don't think I can get them in and out fast enough.

If anyone here has any experiences in Hawaii, please share!
If I were you, I'd try the free trial and see how it goes.
Old 01-22-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pac-Rat
I don't think that list is any where near complete. I've had disks ship from 3 different places in NY State alone, plus 2 in PA.
How do you know that? You assume it came from there because it is returned there? Seems like a reasonable assumption to me but when I asked them why all my disks were shipped from Minnesota when I live in Misssouri I got this standard canned response:
Please be aware that when a title is sent out from your Rental Queue it will ship from the distribution center that currently has it in stock, not necessarily the distribution center nearest to you.
Yeah, right. So why are they all returned to Minnesota? Funny that St. Louis has never had a single disk in stock. Seems kinda fishy.
Old 01-23-04, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Easy
How do you know that? You assume it came from there because it is returned there? Seems like a reasonable assumption to me but when I asked them why all my disks were shipped from Minnesota when I live in Misssouri I got this standard canned response:

Yeah, right. So why are they all returned to Minnesota? Funny that St. Louis has never had a single disk in stock. Seems kinda fishy.
They probably automatically print out a return label to the center closest to you for faster service. It doesn't mean that it is sent from there.
Old 01-23-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chemosh6969
They probably automatically print out a return label to the center closest to you for faster service. It doesn't mean that it is sent from there.
If that were true I'd be sending them to St. Louis which is three or four hours away and likely translates to one or two days in the mail. Minnesota (where I actually return them) is two states away and translates to three or four days in the mail.