Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD Rules!!!!

Old 12-16-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DDD Rules!!!!

Under the barrage of posts about DDD "sucking," or people "never shopping at DDD again," I'd like to go on the record to say I placed three orders during the 20% off sale for titles like Alias s2, hitchcock: criterion, and some other stuff, and have received all of my items!

I placed two orders on Wednesday the 27th and Thursday the 28th, and one order on Tuesday December 2nd. This was my 20-30th order with DDD and they came through with great prices.

Thanks DDD, and I'll see you again soon.
Old 12-16-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks DDD, and I'll see you again soon.
I am glad you received your order correctly, and I am sure that most people who ordered also received their orders without problems. I have also ususally had no problems with them either.
However I believe the true test of a store is not if most the order got out correctly, but instead how many problems they had, and what they did to resolve the issues.
Even the worst stores do things correctly most of the time, or they wouldn't last more than a week.
Old 12-16-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I also have some major praise for DDD right now. Just got the Alien Quadrilogy in the mail and they did a fantastic job packaging it. Considering I placed the order at midnight on 12/6 and it shipped on 12/11, that didn't take long at all for free shipping. I know that DDD has its ups and downs, but when they come through, you gotta love them!
Old 12-16-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I ordered Alias Season 2 on 12/2/03 and found out today (12/16/03) that DDD cancelled it without warning and for no reason that I can discern. The Season 2 set was originally listed on my status page as "backordered" for two weeks, everything else in my order shipped late last week (or so DDD says, haven't received yet) and I was charged for what shipped. So there are no credit card or delivery address issues that would have caused DDD to bump Season 2 off my order. They just up and decided to cancel it, which is a bummer since it was intended to be a Christmas present.

Just goes to show your mileage may vary. Overall, I am not impressed with DDD or their follow-through, although the 20% coupon was fun in theory.
Old 12-19-03, 02:18 PM

I'm happy for you. You just wait until something goes wrong w/ your orders...you'll think differently.
Old 12-19-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DDD Rules!!!!

Originally posted by deadlax
I'd like to go on the record to say I placed three orders during the 20% off sale for titles like Alias s2, hitchcock: criterion, and some other stuff, and have received all of my items!
Has it really come to this? We're now so happy we have to brag about it when we actually receive the goods we paid for? Dear Lord...
Old 12-19-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: DDD Rules!!!!

Originally posted by Walter Neff
Has it really come to this? We're now so happy we have to brag about it when we actually receive the goods we paid for? Dear Lord...
I don't think it has anything to do with "bragging" - simply that the rule of thumb is that people are quick to complain if everything isn't to their satisfaction, and others are responding to provide a more balanced appraisal of DDD's service.
Old 12-19-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: DDD Rules!!!!

Originally posted by marty888
I don't think it has anything to do with "bragging" - simply that the rule of thumb is that people are quick to complain if everything isn't to their satisfaction, and others are responding to provide a more balanced appraisal of DDD's service.
Maybe "bragging" wasn't the right word. My point is that these threads where people talk about actually getting what they paid for are sort of silly. People should get what they pay for the overwhelming majority of the time. That should be the norm, not an anamoly. If I see dozens of people complaining about a company's service, that is a bad thing. And people saying "I actually got what I paid for" don't do anything to change things for the people who didn't get what they paid for.

And, by the way, I say all this as someone who actually did get what he paid for in the DDD 20 percent off sale.
Old 12-19-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought the Decalogue and the BRD Trilogy on the 5th. Both were backordered at the time, but I had them both in my hand by the 15th. I love DDD.
Old 12-19-03, 08:54 PM

Glad I saw this topic. My DDD orders were all handled and shipped great. Got my items for a fraction of their normal price.

Thanks to DDD and the coupons. I'll shop with you again, as I had already done before from time to time.
Old 12-20-03, 09:05 PM

My problem with DDD is not the fact they screwed up my order, its the Customer Service I received from DDD. No one knew anything or was able to resolve the problem. Plus the CRS at DDD will Lie to you on the phone. ITs these practices they will prevent me from Ordering from DDD ever again.
Old 12-21-03, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Walter Neff
Maybe "bragging" wasn't the right word. My point is that these threads where people talk about actually getting what they paid for are sort of silly. People should get what they pay for the overwhelming majority of the time. That should be the norm, not an anamoly. If I see dozens of people complaining about a company's service, that is a bad thing. And people saying "I actually got what I paid for" don't do anything to change things for the people who didn't get what they paid for.
I agree with marty . . . the way I see it is that there have been numerous people who have, in various posts, encouraged other people to not use DDD because of a bad experience that they had. As a well-satisfied, regular customer, I almost feel obligated to let other people know that, in my experience, nothing but good transactions are the norm. Why is posting about good experiences in the "Store Forum" any less appropriate than posting bad ones? This isn't the "Tear Down Stores Forum" . . .
Originally posted by jericko
My problem with DDD is not the fact they screwed up my order, its the Customer Service I received from DDD. No one knew anything or was able to resolve the problem. Plus the CRS at DDD will Lie to you on the phone. ITs these practices they will prevent me from Ordering from DDD ever again.
This is another thing that causes me to post good opinions . . . given the interaction that I have had with DDD CSR's, I find it highly unlikely that they would purposefully lie to their customers. Make mistakes? Absolutely. Purposefully lie? I seriously doubt it . . .

Additionally, be careful what you say (or how you say it). From a technical/legal standpoint, in a open forum such as this one, making accusations of something like deceptive practices about a company, without offering up any proof of it, is, for all intents and purposes, illegal (libel). As such, and given that people from DDD often read these threads, although it would be extremely unlikely to happen, theoretically, it could result in a lawsuit (again . . . we are talking "realm of possibility", not "realm of likelyhood").

I guess, more than anything, I just wish that people would be a little more patient and level-headed about going off on companies (any of 'em). No company is perfect and, I would hope that people would just give DDD some time to get things sorted out before getting so up-in-arms about their orders. Maybe if people would stop calling them 4-5 times a day, their employees would have the time to focus on getting some of the issues resolved.

<End >

Edit: Congratulations, BlackBeauty!! Good news!!! Glad to hear that it worked out for you.

Last edited by talemyn; 12-21-03 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-22-03, 01:30 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DDD rocks! Received my partial order on Saturday, 6 days after it shipped
Old 12-23-03, 12:43 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with the OP. It's one thing to complain about a store, but it's another to urge readers not to shop there. All stores have errors some of the time. How they resolve them is what makes a retailer good or bad. DDD seems to have acquitted itself well in shipping a majority of orders and is making an honest attempt to resolve disputes. Given the barrage of negative complaints, it's nice to see them given a little credit, too.
Old 12-23-03, 01:21 PM

Got my box sets yesterday in a sturdy box with tamper-resistant tape. Shipping took a bit longer than normal so I was starting to get nervous, but everything got here in time for Christmas so I'm happy. Great job DDD! Feel free to send me a 20% discount code anytime.
Old 01-02-04, 04:18 PM

Most of my dealings with DDD--and I ordered 30+ dvds from them in 2003--have been overwhelmingly positive. I live in CA, and they ship from IL, yet even with free shipping I have received in-stock orders within a week of ordering on-line, and even faster when I selected priority mail.
The only problem that I have had was when I ordered the Collector's Edition of CONAN THE BARBARIAN (audio commentary with John Milius and our new Governorator, extra footage) and they shipped me the standard version. Okay, easy mistake, both discs had the same price. They sent me a postage-paid label for the return, but then they sent me the Conan two-pack (CE plus CONAN THE DESTROYER). They also charged my card the slight difference between the two. After thinking about it for awhile, I decided to keep CTD, thinking I should have just ordered the two-pack in the first place. Some people might have gotten royally p-o'ed over this, but I can see how the mistake could be made, and it's fairly clear that they were trying to make things right. Is the Conan CE even still in print? After the price they gave me on the Kino release of Fritz Lang's DIE NIBELUNGEN, I can forgive them easily.
Best, Scott Connors