Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

How's DVD Empire based on your experience?

Old 12-11-03, 10:22 PM

How's DVD Empire based on your experience?

Hi,

DVD Empire has a free 2nd Day UPS service with order over $100 dollars. It's very important that I received the DVDs by early next week...can I trust them with their words on their delivery service? I do not want to order from them, and finding out they won't be shipping until late next week with 2 Days shipping from UPS.

Any input/information will be helpful in my decisions.

Last edited by Engel07; 12-11-03 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-12-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only ordered from them a few times, but it's always been a flawless transaction.

The last time (about a month ago) I ordered around 2PM, and it was shipped that same day.
Old 12-12-03, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by marty888
I've only ordered from them a few times, but it's always been a flawless transaction.

The last time (about a month ago) I ordered around 2PM, and it was shipped that same day.
That's great news. They will have my business then! Thanks for the info. After searching around the forum, I found a $5 off coupon...even better!
Old 12-12-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I frequently order from DVDEmpire and have had the fewest problems compared to any other online DVD store. If the items are in stock when ordering they will ship them the same day.
Old 12-12-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Without exception, every pre-order I have placed with them has shipped on Friday, and is always received on or before release date.
Old 12-12-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DVDEmpire is great. They have the fastest shipping out of all the companies I've dealt with. I once had an order ship out less than hour after I placed it. Here is the coupon thread from the bargains forum: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=267965
Old 12-12-03, 02:00 AM

I have never had any hassles with them. In fact, super sales aside, I have almost dumped everyone else. They also ship preorders faster than anyone else. I love them.
Old 12-12-03, 07:04 AM

In my book:

1. DVD Empire
2. Amazon
3. Animenation
4. "Add whatever u want"

Are we getting any christmas gifts this month ?
Old 12-12-03, 11:52 AM

You won't have any problems with DVD Empire. I use them frequently until recently and other than them would only recommend DVD Pacific as an option. Actually DVD Pacific is my site of choice now but Empire have also never failed me.
Old 12-13-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Discovered DVD Empire after DVDPLanet figuratively bit the dust. I'm just sorry I didn't do so sooner. No one ships faster than these guys and their prices are excellent as well. Same day guaranteed. Preorders always ship out the Friday before release so if you spend the extra couple of bucks for Priority Mail you WILL have your discs on or before street date. None of this wait a week before they ship your order out crap. Their Preorder Manager is a kick-ass way to have complete control over your orders once you get the hang of it.

I don't order from anyone else anymore.
Old 12-13-03, 12:45 PM

I've ordered from DVD Empire many times. Other than receiving a defective DVD once or twice, which they quickly gave me an exchange for a new one, all transactions went through smoothly.
Old 12-14-03, 12:16 PM
DrS

Great for me. Best (most flexible) ordering software.

d
Old 12-19-03, 02:31 PM

Here's my experienced with DVD Empire.

Thursday night: I placed my order.
Friday: I was hoping to receive a shipping notice, but none came around.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Monday: Received an email that my phone number that I submitted to them didn't match with the phone number of my credit card that I had started 2 years ago. I'm thinking...how should I remember the number that I used 2 years ago. And why didn't their website tell me to enter the phone number of the credit card that I used. After contacting my credit card, I found out and contacted DVD Empire to update it.
Tuesday: I came home at night and found a voice message that I need to call DVD Empire back. At this point, i'm like WTF now. I'm in danger of not receiving my gift order by Friday.
Wednesday: I woke up 6am to contact them. The reason why they called was because they wanted to confirm that I'm sending it to my work address. I'm like...why did I even bother filling out the shipping address. I was about to jump off the bridge at this point. I told them YES..with a please ship it out ASAP. Finally, I received a shipping confirmation.

Overall, they made me stressed throughout the order process. I got my gifts to hand out today. Everyone at work was counting on me to get it by today so we can continue without gift exchange. What I like about DVD Empire is their link to the UPS tracking system so that I can track the package. I give DVD Empire an OK for now. I think they need to do something about the credit card phone number (maybe put a warning message that the number must be the same). I have ordered many times on the internet before, and this is the first time that I ran into this issue. And I know for sure I have entered many different phone number for my contact through different sites.
Old 12-19-03, 10:07 PM

Everyone has to go through few things on their first order

I for instance was asked to email them a copy of my CC and I had everything ready (my scanner / Digi Cam etc..) I emailed them and got a confirmation the same day and my items were shipped.
Old 12-21-03, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

The past 3 orders I have placed with DVD Empire have all been flawed. The first came damaged, the second came overcharged, and the third was overcharged and never even shipped. I have heard nothing but good things about this company, but I will never order from them again. Three strikes are enough.
Old 12-21-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by icon2480
The past 3 orders I have placed with DVD Empire have all been flawed. The first came damaged, the second came overcharged, and the third was overcharged and never even shipped. I have heard nothing but good things about this company, but I will never order from them again. Three strikes are enough.
Did DVDEmpire overcharge you by not applying a coupon or adding shipping charges? I've had a few problems with them adding shipping charges to orders that were supposed to ship free. However customer service quickly corrected the situation by issuing a refund. Otherwise sorry to hear DVDEmpire screwed up so many of your orders.
Old 12-24-03, 01:53 PM
Cool New Member

With the first overcharge, they charged shipping when it was free. They tried to sneak the charge in by sending me an order confirmation with no shipping charges and then just charging them on the actual order credit charge. The third order was the worst experience I've had with any company. I ordered 3 dvds and 2 weeks after they were supposed to arrive (3 weeks after placing the order) they still had not arrived. I emailed customer service and they assured me it was a shipping problem with usps and that after usps conducted an investigation they would get back to me as soon as possible with information and my dvds. That was all with the customer service department. Then 3 days later, the returns department contacted me telling me that they received the dvd's that I returned. By that time I was fed up and just said 'fine, keep the dvds, refund my credit card'. When I got my statement, they had refunded me 4 dollars less than the original charge. I emailed the returns department...they refused to refund the shipping even after I explained that I didn't return the DVD's and I never even saw shipment. It took another 3 days to get the customer service department to refund the shipping charges. I'd really like to re-order those DVD's and right now they are the cheapest at DVD Empire, but I won't give them my endorsement or any of my money any longer. I encourage DeepDiscountDVD shoppers. Secondary stores for me are DVDPlanet, and occasionally Overstock and Amazon for cheaper titles. DVDEmpire can do whatever they want to my DVD's, but I'm not going to pay for them.
Old 12-25-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best online DVD retailer by far. Same day shipping, preorders delivered like clockwork, excellent customer service, prices and website. I don't shop anywhere else.
Old 12-25-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got an order from them that was mission 4 Criterion discs... it seems the packing person didn't look at the second page of the shipping invoice. I've emailed them yesterday, so I expect an answer by Tuesday.
Old 12-25-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Their shipping costs to Canada are $6 for the first and $2/ thereafter.That ain't happenin'
Old 12-26-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry the missing DVDs were from DVDPlanet, not DVDEmpire. I've done 2 orders with DVDEmpire and both have gone without a hitch