Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

I Hate Half.com!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-03, 11:50 AM
Banned

I Hate Half.com!!!!!!!!!

OK....i need to rant a little bit.

It's snowing like a bitch here in nyc and i just went to pick up my copy of Bringing Down The House (no comments from the peanut gallery) from the post office. Wasn't home when the original delivery attempt was made.
Post office is 13 blocks from my house.

Well...low and behold...I have a wonderful single layered-chinese subtitle havin' BOOTLEG copy of the movie in my hands. Sealed no less.

I always open my packages at the post office...especially half.com packages. But I think I'm done using them. I'm SICK AND TIRED of opening packages to find full screen when I ordered widescreen or BOOTLEG dvd's. They have the most moronic people posting their bullshit up on that site and half does NOTHING to stop them from doing it.

I left the seller bad feedback and surprisingly, I am the first to do it. BUt if you look at my feedback, it's right ABOVE someone who posted a positive feedback saying "good bootleg DVD."

HUH?????

Sorry...just had to vent. There's nothing else I can do right? I'm outta the money, i guess.
Old 12-06-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You should try and contact the seller and demand a refund. However leaving negative feedback before trying to resolve the problem will probably make the seller less reluctant to help. Otherwise you may have to take this up directly with Half.com to get a refund.

Personally I don't blame you for being angry with a seller that isn't clear or truthful about the items they are selling. When I sell DVDs at Half.com I make sure to let potential buyers know they are not purchasing bootlegs or former rental discs if they decide to buy from me. Not all sellers at Half.com are dishonest but unfortunately some of them are, and it ends up hurting the reputation of everyone else.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 12-06-03 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

i love half.com

of course.. I use it as a seller much more than buyer

sorry about that bootleg copy.. i thought i put that in the description
Old 12-06-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Check the "Help" section at half.com. You will be able to get a refund since you didn't get what you ordered, and it is against half.com's policy to sell bootlegs even though they don't do much to prevent it. The refund process is a bit tedious but it does work. I believe first you have to first contact the seller to resolve the issue, wait for a specified period of time for the seller to respond, and then if the seller offer a refund, you can request a refund from Half.com.

This is actually why I like half.com more than ebay. Had you bought the disc on Ebay you wouldn't have much recourse, but with half you are somewhat protected.
Old 12-09-03, 01:39 PM
Banned

Half.com is affiliated with ebay, you can contact the seller and tell them what went on. By the contract that took place when you bought the title he has to give you what you ordered. hope this helps.

www.dvdcottage.com
Old 12-09-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DVDCOTTAGE.COM
Half.com is affiliated with ebay, you can contact the seller and tell them what went on. By the contract that took place when you bought the title he has to give you what you ordered. hope this helps.

www.dvdcottage.com
I have to admire your subtle advertising techniques. You have your site listed in as your username, in your signature, as your homepage, and typed in your post. You might want to read the forum rules, you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-09-03, 03:14 PM

half sux as bad as eBay. I've been ripped off on both sites and despite the various reassurances, if someone wants to hose you there is nothing you can do about it except leave negative feedback.
Old 12-09-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by 007bugs
half sux as bad as eBay. I've been ripped off on both sites and despite the various reassurances, if someone wants to hose you there is nothing you can do about it except leave negative feedback.
I've never had a dispute with any merchant that my credit card company wouldn't make right. If an Ebay seller sends me something less than what was advertised and Ebay won't make things right, I always dispute the charge. So far my credit card company has always seen it my way and reversed the charges.
Old 12-09-03, 07:26 PM

I haven't used ebay or half in a while, but when I got cheated by a seller, in order to request eBay's help with a bad transaction, I had to waive my right to dispute the charge with my credit company. All ebay did then was act as an intermediary in email exchanges. The seller dragged the issue out for a while by saying they would reship the item, etc. until a sufficient period of time had elapsed and ebay would no longer honor their refund guarantee. Sellers who know how to work the system can do what they want, if you do lose money go directly through your bank, don't use ebay/half's "help".
Old 12-09-03, 07:28 PM
Banned

Just an update...

I got a refund by the seller the same day.

She said she "knew it would get (her) in trouble."
Old 12-10-03, 09:40 AM

Half is good about getting your money back - ebay isnt.

Ebay is planning on closing half down - which will stink - its one of my favorite sites.
Old 12-10-03, 02:02 PM

I ordered the DTS version of Queen-We Will Rock You.

Of course I got the non-DTS version. Given their feedback, I don't think the person was trying to rip me off, I just think they didn't list it right.

Not worth the hassle of returning it since I'll only watch it 1-2 times a year.

I always feel a little nervous ordering from them.
Old 12-10-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Half.com
Old 12-11-03, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Just an update...

I got a refund by the seller the same day.

She said she "knew it would get (her) in trouble."
She didn't work for the LAPD, did she?