Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Help: Who delivers pre-orders by streetdate?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm usually a bargain shopper and just get my discs from whoever is cheapest, online or B&M.

However, I am a HUGE Bogdanovich fan ad I want to get Targets, Paper Moon & Daisy Miller the earliest I can. I have them on order from DDD but they have been taking so long I don't want to wait 3 weeks after release date to receive these most-anticipate dreleases.

I know Amazon doesn't ship until Monday usually, which gets the discs here by Wed or Thursday.

DVD Empire USED to always ship out on the Friday before, landing on Monday, but I had a few orders that got delayed and I stopped using them so much and now I don't know what they are like.

So can anyone recommend the best etailer and method of delivery for getting this batch of discs the quickest?
Old 08-01-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can't wait I would suggest purchasing those titles from a B&M store. If you are lucky maybe there will be a few stores that might have them out before the official release date. However, I am not sure if the titles mentioned will be readily available in many stores.

If you want to purchase online, then DVDEmpire would be a good choice to get them by release date if shipping is upgraded to priority mail. I have had the fewest problems using them and they always ship preorders the Friday before the release date. You may encounter delays if you try using their free shipping which is by media mail. But I think there is always a possible risk of a delay when ordering online.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 08-01-03 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-01-03, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard Walmart tends to break street from various posters here although I never shop there myself for distance reasons.
Old 08-02-03, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered 'Dead & Buried' from DVD Empire on 7/24, and they shipped it on Fri, 7/25. I used 'Priority Mail', which is really First Class mail because of ordering just one dvd. I have STILL not received my DVD, and it has been 8 days since it shipped, and 4 days since release of the DVD. I called them yesterday, and she said it all depends on how it was 'routed' by the USPS as to how long it takes. I have used DVD Empire for years, and they were usually very prompt in their delivery, but not this time. And it seems rather ridiculous to pay $5.00 for shipping and have to wait over a week to receive!