Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Should DDD's rating be changed on this site's store ratings?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-30-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm am just amazed how many negative posts there are here about DDD lately. Personally I've had discussions in two threads. But the majority of the posts are not good. That said, do you think their store rating in the "store ratings" link on this site should have a warning at the very least that their service has slipped as of late? Right now they are listed in the "Highly Recommended" category. I would highly disagree. E-mails not getting responses. Media Mail taking up to a month or longer. Refunds taking forever. Etc, etc. Mods?
Old 07-30-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a while since I've ordered with them (great service in the past), but all of these posts have made me extra weary of dealing with them.

The rating should be dropped a little bit.
Old 07-31-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try posting your suggestion in the Feedback Forum. Geoff is more likely to see it there.
Old 07-31-03, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems the majority of negative posts about DDD complain about shipping time. Lowest total price(without coupons, gift cards, etc.) can often translate into longest total delivery time. If time is important, it's wise to pay a little more. It's a tradeoff most of us around here understand and accept.
Old 07-31-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by T. Bickle
It seems the majority of negative posts about DDD complain about shipping time. Lowest total price(without coupons, gift cards, etc.) can often translate into longest total delivery time. If time is important, it's wise to pay a little more. It's a tradeoff most of us around here understand and accept.
It started with the shipping time. And yes, that is the majority of
the posts. But you can also add (some of which I mentioned
above):

1) E-mails not being responded to
2) Refunds
3) Replacement items taking weeks
4) Incorrect information

All of which started within the last few months. And unless they can turn themselves around real quick, that's a tradeoff I won't
accept.
Old 07-31-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
What I don't understand- if you choose free shipping -what do they do sit on the order for a few days.No matter what shipping option you choose at DVD Empire-its sent out almost immediately(unless its the weekend).
Old 08-01-03, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They clearly are not shipping when they say they do (when you get your shipment...we are charging you...notice). As MANY others have said......sometimes it will take 3-5 weeks to get a DDD shipment after they have "shipped" it....while meantime EVERY other company manages to have their products arrive in under 7-10 days (and usually that is cross-country).

Customer service turn around time has been horrendous (or non-existent) for the last 6-8 weeks. I haven't had a need to contact them in the last 10 days, so maybe it is improving..................

However, I definitely wouldn't rank them as a "highly recommended" which should be a completely hassle free experience.
Old 08-01-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I posted the topic to Geoff here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=308800

If you agree, please go and provide your support.
Old 08-01-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always been a huge fan of theirs but I placed a preorder for two discs that were released on the 29th and they haven't shipped yet or even left the preorder stage. That's a bit disappointing.
Old 08-01-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jkzahn
I posted the topic to Geoff here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=308800

If you agree, please go and provide your support.
Good job! Thank you
Old 08-01-03, 10:46 AM
Banned

Where is this rating section? Surely DVD Planet is not highly recommended is it?
Old 08-01-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shouldn't the USPS take the blame for alot of these companies problems.I never knew it would take over a week to send something 300 miles via First Class.I could walk there and get it sooner-this goes for media mail also.
Old 08-01-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My neighbor just brought over six packages that were delivered to them in error-so I still say the USPS should take the blame.Companies like DVDPlanet and DDD can't be faulted for lousy delivery service,
Old 08-01-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
Where is this rating section? Surely DVD Planet is not highly recommended is it?
http://www.dvdtalk.com/store.html
Old 08-01-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dvd-4-life
My neighbor just brought over six packages that were delivered to them in error-so I still say the USPS should take the blame.Companies like DVDPlanet and DDD can't be faulted for lousy delivery service,

Grrrr! Would you people please receive. I don't think one person in any DDD thread has placed the blame entirely on them. HOWEVER, when DDD don't release the order for several days TO be shipped (and when they still have "can take 5-10 business days" on their website and e-mail notifications), then they are partially at fault. Because even they have admitted that shipping is taking longer.
Old 08-01-03, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dvd-4-life
It IS NOT the USPS fault when a DVD I order on July 7th from DVD Planet does not ship till the 28th due to a computer error on their part. It also does not make up for the absolutely ridiculous switching and mailing of Look Who's Talking in place of Throne of Blood, charging me for Throne of Blood and then apologizing and telling me that Throne of Blood is in stock and it will ship within the week then upon me calling and asking if it has shipped yet being told it is out of stock and will not ship for about 3 weeks. All that coupled with almost 2 hour hold times when calling their customer service line and very rarely responding to any e-mails. I have sent 14 e-mails with several days in between mailing them and have recieved ONE reply which was after the fourth e-mail.

When the DVD I ordered on the 7th was finally shipped it arrived in 3 days. At least with DVD Planet, NONE of the problems can be attributed to the USPS.
Old 08-01-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been a long buyer (and still current) of DDD. On the rare occasion, they have missed shipping pre-orders by the street date. However, the majority of the time, I have received pre-orders near the street date (sometimes shortly before and some times shortly after). I have yet to have any problem receiving a reply from their customer support within 48 hours. When the rare order seems to have slipped through the cracks, a polite e-mail to their CS, seems to grease the squeaky wheel and my order gets goosed off the loading dock.

Just recently I opted to cancel an order and receive a reply from their CS within 2 business days that the order had been cancelled.

It is obvious that some of their orders are placed through a "fulfillment" center and not directly from DDD. These tend to be slightly slower in arrival. In the Pacific Northwest, I usually receive my order within 7 days from their shipping notice.

Again, you get what you pay for... they almost always have the lowest total cost. This allows me to spread my DVD budget further, so a few days longer in waiting for a shipment is no big thing for me.

If you want faster and better service (though I have yet to find need to fault their service), you pay for it.

Before DVD Planet was "re-organized" or should I say "dis-organized", they had fast and prompt delivery, but then again I paid for it.

DVD Empire is somewhere in the middle (and you still have to pay for it).
Old 08-01-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can we knock the "you get what you pay for" crap off. First, I think everyone is in agreement that DDD has some of the lowest prices around. That has never been an issue. However, when they advertise that their free shipping takes 5-10 business days, and that has increased to 30 days or longer (lately), then that's a huge problem. Because so many people have been burned by the time it's taken to get their order via media mail, I doubt most would choose that option again. I too have been a long time customer of DDD, and I can say without hesitation that their customer service has pretty much been non-existent these past few months. I'm *still* waiting for someone to respond to me after I reported a defective DVD that I received. Two months ago and counting.
Old 08-02-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not talking about receiving something beyond the 5-10 business days... I have never received anything this late from DDD...

I have only run into this from another vendor when USPS mis-directed the package.

My response about "getting what one pays for..." was in regards to messages that imply that other vendors are offering quicker shipping, response from CS within minutes...

Originally posted by Daytripper
Can we knock the "you get what you pay for" crap off. First, I think everyone is in agreement that DDD has some of the lowest prices around. That has never been an issue. However, when they advertise that their free shipping takes 5-10 business days, and that has increased to 30 days or longer (lately), then that's a huge problem. Because so many people have been burned by the time it's taken to get their order via media mail, I doubt most would choose that option again. I too have been a long time customer of DDD, and I can say without hesitation that their customer service has pretty much been non-existent these past few months. I'm *still* waiting for someone to respond to me after I reported a defective DVD that I received. Two months ago and counting.