Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Problem with DVD Planet?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Problem with DVD Planet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm seeing the makings of a new trend here.

Based on posts here at DVD Talk concerning both DVD Planet and DeeepDiscountDVD (and some of my own experiences with one of those two companies), customer-service quality has plummeted recently at both companies.

But the new trend I see is this: The only way to get a problem resolved with these two companies, it seems, is by posting a detailed description of your problem on DVD Talk (or maybe other message boards as well).

While it's good to see there is a way to resolve your problem -- and I'm really glad DVD Talk exists to provide the forum for doing so -- this is a disturbing trend. Has it come to this? Is the only way to get acceptable service from an online DVD retailer by making your grievances public on the Internet?
Old 07-24-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup

This is all really unfortunate. They have incredible prices on Criterion discs there!
Originally posted by imp66
Again, a sign that they have major problems. When you aren't selling enough, just drop the prices and cut your profit margin.
Sorry, but this is just an assumption on your part, especially since the Criteron sale has been going on for ages. DVDPlanet has had sales like the ongoing Criterion sale because they have been able to work out special pricing with studios. The Pioneer anime sales they've run in the past have been because they have been able to work out special pricing directly with Pioneer.
Old 07-24-03, 02:20 PM

Walter Neff, good points and hopefully this is just a brief problem for DVD Planet.

But watch out, you'll be accused as being a disgruntled employee if you keep this up
Old 07-30-03, 10:02 AM
Banned

When the CSR called me here is what I was told. Tokyo Olympiad would be shipped out Friday. Throne of Blood would be shipped out Monday or Tuesday of what is now this week. I could not combine the two orders because Tokyo Olympiad has already been submitted to the wharehouse but Throne of Blood had to be submitted now.

Upon calling last night and spending 90 minutes on hold here is what I was told. Tokyo Olympiad was NOT mailed out on Friday. For some reason they waited till Monday. Throne of Blood is now out of stock and won't be in stock for one to three weeks.

This is completely unacceptable and utter crap. I was told that Throne of Blood was in stock and that it would ship on Monday or Tuesdsay of this week. It is now listed as out of stock. I was lied to. I understand that it may have sold out between last week and last night but I should have been given some sort of priority seeing as how they SCREWED UP MY ORDER! Throne of Blood was THE disc I was looking forward to, I tacked the other ones onto my order as an afterthought. I do not want to have to wait about a month to finally recieve Throne of Blood. Is it too much to ask that the jerk that messed up my order go out to Borders himself and pay retail price for the disc then mail it to me?

This is totally unacceptable. They tell me one thing and it turns out to be completely false. Had I not called last night just to check on my order I would not have even found out that Throne of Blood is now out of stock. They obviously sent me no e-mails about it and would not have cared enough to contact me. I sent a several page reply to an e-mail that had seen my posts here and asked if they could help me and never got a response. I WANT MY DVD'S!

I would have much rather paid full price at Borders myself than have to endure the three-ring circus that DVD Planet calls customer service. I am very upset with every aspect of my order. They owe me Throne of Blood and they owe it to me THIS WEEK. It is BS that it is now out of stock. They MUST be able to find some way of shipping it to me. I don't give a damn about this stupid Look Who's Talking dvd! I would gladly mail it back if it meant that I would recieve Throne of Blood this week but obviously that would not make a difference.

DVD Planet, if you are reading this, I WANT MY THRONE OF BLOOD DVD NOW! I don't like being lied to. I was told it would in fact ship this week.
Old 07-30-03, 10:04 AM
Banned

DVD Planet, please feel free to send the guy who screwed up my order over to Borders to pick up the dvd, then mail it to me. I don't care how the dvd is gotten to me, I just want it soon. I am out money now.
Old 07-30-03, 06:26 PM

I placed an order on 7/19 for 2 dvds but they haven't even shipped out yet. Both titles were in-stock when I ordered.
Old 08-03-03, 01:10 PM

Dvd Planet

I to have been having problems with DVD Planet within the past month. They have charged me for items unshipped, responded to my emails but than never followed up, and have not shipped out new releases that I have pre ordered. Anyone know if they plan on addressing these issues, or should I jump ship now and find another source?
Old 08-04-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HOLY CRAP! Would someone PLEASE give that guy Throne Of Blood?!? Sheesh! He's going to start bleeding out of his ears!

I didn't know this thread was here... until I did a search. Wanted to post about DVDPlanet sending me an e-mail stateing that the Hitchcock:CC box I ordered had shipped. Just one problem... I didn't order one. After reading this thread though, if I recieve the dvds and get charged the proper amount, I should count my blessings and keep them??? This is sad. If I try to respond to them, am I just going to be like a fart in the wind???
WTF?!?!?
Ok, I think I'll be calling my credit card company to see if my cc has been charged.
(Sigh........)
In the past 2 months I've paid DVDPlanet approximately $600 for Criterion dvds. ALL THE ORDERS went through perfectly. One order did take about 2 weeks to arrive from time-of-order... still pretty quick compared to some other complaints here. I think that I won't be ordering from DVDPlanet for awhile... maybe forever?
Again... this is sadening.
Old 08-11-03, 09:18 PM

I got an email reply saying that my order is delayed while they are confirming MY ADDRESS??? I ordered twice before this order. i have not moved since & using the same credit card. What's there's to check??
Old 08-13-03, 02:26 PM

See DVDPlanet & BizRate post

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=309381
Old 08-18-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
They keep sending me the wrong DVD - here's an email I just sent to them:

Holly Bell,

Once again, human error has reared its ugly head - I received the shipment that you requested for the correct DVD that I ordered and paid for - and for a second time RECEIVED THE WRONG DVD!

I now have TWO COPIES of a dvd I didn't order and don't want, and have yet to receive the DVD that I paid for several weeks ago.

Since it appears that your fulfillment center is incapable of sending me the correct DVD, perhaps the best solution would be for you to IMMEDIATELY process a refund, and I will return the two dvds that were sent in error.

Please advise as soon as possible.

Marty

I waited two weeks for anyone there to take action, and then it's wrong again!
Old 08-18-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While they have improved a little since this whole fiasco began a couple of months ago, I'm still trying to get an answer on this since I never get email responses on it and don't want to wait on the phone. Is anyone getting their preorders packaged together? Since this transition began, all my discs have been coming in individual shipments, even though they are released on the same day. Of course I'm getting charged the $2.50 shipping for each disc now. Back in the good old days day I'd get all of the same-release day preorders in one box with the initial charge and only $.50 more per disc. I hope they resolve this, because this is the last straw before I switch to someone else.
Old 08-20-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ianholm
While they have improved a little since this whole fiasco began a couple of months ago, I'm still trying to get an answer on this since I never get email responses on it and don't want to wait on the phone.....I hope they resolve this, because this is the last straw before I switch to someone else.
The good news is: don't take it personally, they seem to ignore most emails, and seem unwilling to be responsive to customer needs in any meaningful way.

The bad news is: don't take it personally, they seem to ignore most emails, and seem unwilling to be responsive to customer needs in any meaningful way.
Old 08-20-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I guess so. The best is now you try to call them a message comes on saying you will be disconnected if no one picks up in 15 minutes!?!?! WTF???
Old 08-25-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by marty888
The good news is: don't take it personally, they seem to ignore most emails, and seem unwilling to be responsive to customer needs in any meaningful way.

The bad news is: don't take it personally, they seem to ignore most emails, and seem unwilling to be responsive to customer needs in any meaningful way.

The good news is I have now received the promised credit for a DVD that I paid for (a month ago) and never received.

The bad news is that I now have to return the TWO wrong DVDs they sent me at my expense with the promise that I will be reimbursed for the shipping costs. Considering the trouble it took to get MY money back, I really wonder how successful I'll be in getting the return shipping costs back.
Old 08-25-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Don't alot of people order thru them on the phone(those without computers).Thats gotta be I would guess 10 maybe 15 percent of there business and now you can't get thru to talk to a representative.
Old 08-26-03, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by marty888
The good news is I have now received the promised credit for a DVD that I paid for (a month ago) and never received.

The bad news is that I now have to return the TWO wrong DVDs they sent me at my expense with the promise that I will be reimbursed for the shipping costs. Considering the trouble it took to get MY money back, I really wonder how successful I'll be in getting the return shipping costs back.
Consider a couple of months based on my experience (via BBB complaint). Good luck.
Old 09-14-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone having any luck getting through on the phone to these people as of late? Are they going under or what?
Old 09-20-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been able to get through on the phone for well over a week. You automatically get disconnected after 15 minutes of hold time. How nice. I also noticed they no longer answer phones on Sunday. I purchased from them for many years, and was willing to give them a break when the problems began happening back in June, but it's almost four months later and it seems things have gotten worse, not better.

First off, you never know what the hell they're sending out since they only send email shipping notices on what seems to be a totally random fashion. Even when you get a shipping notice the discs don't come for at least a week or more later (I'm still waiting for three Eastwood 9/2 releases (no email confirmations) and three 9/9 releases(supposedly shipped on the same date)). Worse part of it is that these discs are coming INDIVIDUALLY boxed, so I have to pay shipping on each title instead of the one package with multiple discs like I used to get.

Next, since I don't know what discs are coming I can't refuse shipments that I know are in error, since I don't know what's in the box. In the past three months I've gotten maybe 10-15 discs that I didn't order or were duplicates. I know I was charged for all of them, since (when I was able to get through) I asked to get hard copies of my invoices snail-mailed to me, as this is currently the ONLY way to know what you're paying for since the packing slip that comes in the box doesn't list prices. A pain to send them back, but I was assured this would only be a temporary issue once they got their system up to par. As it was I sent them back and got credited for them, but the last few that I sent back within the last month haven't been credited as of yet.

In the middle of all this is I finally decided to cancel all of my preorders, so at the beginning of Sept. I got someone on the phone (the last time I was able to do that) and canceled all my remaining preorders. She told me it may be too late to cancel the 9/9 releases, so I said OK let those through (still haven't received these) but make sure to cancel everything after that. She said Ok. Fine. Lo and behold what popped up in my Inbox on 9/12? A friggin invoice for the three preorders I originally had for 9/16. WTF??? I guess that's why all my emails asking about the status of shipments and the confirmation of preorder cancellations went unanswered. And for a topper here we are on the 20th and I still haven't received those discs either...

So what can you do if you can not get through on the phone and email's never get replied to? I guess I'll give them till the end of the month to see if I get all the discs/refunds due to arrive before I get the credit card company involved. It's a shame that it's come down to this since I have ordered hundreds of DVD's/lasers a year through them exclusively and never had an issue until this June.

Last edited by matome; 09-20-03 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matome,
Just deny all the charges through your CC company. Your trying way to hard for these idiots. DVDPlanet will never offer good enough prices to have to put up with what everyone has been going through these past few months. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt as well, but I sure as heck didn't wait THREE MONTHS. I will NEVER order from DVDPlanet again. As far as the pre-orders are concerned, do this. It is perfectly legal...
Deny all charges to your CC. (you cancelled the orders, they have no right to charge you) Write to them telling them you have denyed the charges, and if they send a PRE-PAID label(s) and package(s), that you'll be happy to send them back.
FINAL RESULT... They send it and you mail them back at no cost, or... you get to keep them for free. Under no circumstances are you obligated to ever pay for something you did not authorize, or in this case, cancelled the order.
Don't ask for a refund. You'll probably never get it, just like with the others you sent back. Good luck, and when it's all over-with, I hope you'll learn a lesson and leave DVDPlanet in your past like I am.
Dave
Old 09-20-03, 07:55 PM

Like I have said many times, when Kenny left the building they have no idea of what the hell their doing. No one over there has any idea of how to run a business and it's showing with a glowing light. Just my opinion, but it looks like a good one.
Old 09-21-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I never had a problem with orders coming from there Nevada warehouse but after they closed that down and used the one out of Illinois-nothing but problems.They sent me a duplicate order-I shipped it back to them and of course UPS lost the DVD's.
Old 09-21-03, 06:57 PM
Cool New Member

DVDe is 110% correct! When Kenny left, so did the service. Notice I didn't say "quality" of service, because from where I sit, there is NO service whatsoever! A crying shame. Here's what's going to happen, remember who said it - - - The company that ships for them out of Illinois will absorb them completely, shutting them down for good. Then, Image Entertainment will sell off their retail store (thus scrapping any misguided plans to open a new location closer to L.A.). It's just a matter of time...and the clock it ticking...
Old 09-22-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's really a shame. They used to be so good. I think the problem is that there is absolutely NO communication system with the new distribution center in Iowa or wherever it is, since customer service is absolutely useless in giving info on your shipments and can't cancel orders either "because they're being processed. " They just don't know. And I love the fact that they can't answer your emails but they update that friggin Coming Soon page a few times every day. Guess they figure they can sucker some poor people into preordering. They must be going under, since I don't know how long any business can survive without having ANY communication port with it's customers, never mind having good service.
Old 09-24-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa, I get home today there are three packages from DVDPlanet with 7 of the 9 discs I've been waiting for. At least I'm getting somewhere now! Hopefully the other two will show up soon.