Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Fitting DVDs into the Mom & Dad Gravey Train

Old 06-09-03, 07:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

offical "best way to screw over your parents" thread

ok ok, spare me the lecture. I still buy most of my dvds with my own money, and my parents never give me my allowence anyway. Besides, when I become the next Spielberg and thank my parents during my oscar speech, they are going to be mighty damn proud I used their money to buy dvds to listen to all the commentary tracks

occasionally I use my credit card to buy dvds from stores where I buy other, non entertainment stuff. For example, the market, pharmacy, etc. I only pay for dvds, books games, etc. If it is food or other needs for the house, then my parents pay for it

Today I was at Ralphs and was going to get Die Another Day (though I wasn't a fan, Halle Berry's cleavage on the inside flap and the special features beckoned me over) Sadly, it was in full screen only. I asked the checker, who sadly told me fullscreen was all she had. She also mentioned widescreen as being "strange" so they dont get many in. I was going to lecture her on the benefits of widescreen, but passed since she was a fail old woman.

Anyway... What are some stores that you can buy dvds as well as home goods, food, clothes etc etc etc

So far the market, the pharmacy, target and wallmart have worked the best. Best Buy, Boarders, Barns and Noble is sadly a no go
Old 06-09-03, 07:25 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

If you're old enough to have a credit card, why don't you get a job? Better yet, get a job at a place like Best Buy, Borders, or Barnes and Noble, and apply your employee discount to your purchases.
Old 06-09-03, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by elise
If you're old enough to have a credit card, why don't you get a job? Better yet, get a job at a place like Best Buy, Borders, or Barnes and Noble, and apply your employee discount to your purchases.

Summer

Sadly BB isn't hiring, but I will most deffinitly be looking around for a job. Actually want to intern as well this summer
Old 06-09-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

must be nice....my parents died years ago when I was a kid. never knew what it was like to be "pampered" with such things. anyway, I pay cash for everything....including dvds. I like owning it when I buy it....not when I get it paid off. my advice is to buy everything yourself...get a job. do it now before you lose your parents and then wonder what the hell youre going to do after. good luck with this...uhh...problem(?).
Old 06-09-03, 07:32 PM
Suspended

why would you want to be the next spielberg?

get a job.
Old 06-09-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well this is a perfectly bizarre thread. It starts out as "screw your parents", then it goes into "I pay for DVDs/I get no allowance" territory, and finally goes into a truly quizzical "they only had Die Another Day in fullscreen" area.

Me head hurts!
Old 06-09-03, 07:50 PM

I think the bizarre part are the people jumping on the original poster because he doesn't have a job.

Its unbelievably...presumptuous to judge anyone, let alone someone you haven't met.
Old 06-09-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'VE READ THAT POST TWICE AND STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL HE'S TALKING ABOUT!!!
Old 06-09-03, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by purplechoe
I'VE READ THAT POST TWICE AND STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL HE'S TALKING ABOUT!!!
Sorry everyone, I do apologize for rambling there

Yes, I am looking for a job. I want to intern this summer, but hopefuly I will have time to get a part timer somewhere. ALl i'm pretty much asking is for a list of stores that sell dvds as well as home appliances, food, clothing, etc

Thanks
Old 06-09-03, 08:04 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

I didn't mean to "jump on him" and I certainly hope he didn't take it that way. Just a simple question. A job = paycheck = not having to deceive your parents.

You listed all the places that sell DVDs and non-DVDs alike in my area: grocery stores, pharmacies, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart. I can't imagine what other store WOULD sell DVD's. Though I think some Sears occasionally sell DVDs. (Mine doesn't.)
Old 06-09-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mourn
I think the bizarre part are the people jumping on the original poster because he doesn't have a job.

Its unbelievably...presumptuous to judge anyone, let alone someone you haven't met.
Well Said!

It's dang hard to find a job in this economy. Especially with little to no experience in the workforce.

Back on topic, My advice is to:

1) Shop around for the best deals. Check out the bargains forum from time to time.

2) Buy only what you know you'll watch more than once (i.e. if you're getting Die Another Day just for Halle Berry's cleavage, then skip it). Rent anything you're mildly curious about.

3) Utilize the exchange forum. Get what you want for just a couple bucks, while getting rid of DVDs you don't watch anymore.

4) Be honest with your parents. Ask them for their advice on how to obtain cash for more DVDs. Don't cheat them. You'll regret it in the long run.
Old 06-09-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I got it. He's looking for a place where his parents could go shopping for household items and also buy dvd for him. Am I getting worm?
Old 06-09-03, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's safe to say that DVDs are not the focus of this thread..

moving to...

*shudder*

OTHER
Old 06-09-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're like TopBunk....but with DVD's instead of Honda Hybrids. Please tell me you have a hot a$$ chick?
Old 06-09-03, 08:18 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by RandyC
I think it's safe to say that DVDs are not the focus of this thread..

moving to...

*shudder*

OTHER
I was thinking Stores was more the focus of this, uh, whatever.
Old 06-09-03, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

But don't we have a Parents Forum?

We should. Then it could be moved again.

[only mods can read]
(was that you doing the IP chk?)
[/only mods can read]
Old 06-09-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by purplechoe
...Am I getting worm?
If so then I sure hope you are a female.

"Not that there is anything wrong with that," if it's the other.
Old 06-09-03, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by greatjedi

It's dang hard to find a job in this economy. Especially with little to no experience in the workforce.

thats BS. total garbage. if someone cant get a job....they dont want a job. if you know how to get one...you'll have one. there are plenty. people would rather bitch or blame something else. it's pride that screws with peoples heads....they wont take a job that they feel is beneath them, while looking for better. I've seen it all before. something for nothing...thats the way of todays kids. It's called good WORK ETHIC. you are either raised to have it...or you're not. I see parents everyday that need a good slapping.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 06-09-03 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-09-03, 08:52 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by RandyC
[only mods can read]
(was that you doing the IP chk?)
[/only mods can read]
You noticed...
Old 06-09-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what you're trying to say is, your parents will allow you to use a credit card for ordinary living expenses, such as food, clothes, etc.. When the parent sees the bill and the items you have charged, they will gladly pay for anything from a store like Walmart or a grocery store. They won't pay for something from Best Buy. Since you have a limited source of funds, every now and then you want a free DVD. You want to know what locations would be "acceptable" in the parents' eyes, but also sell entertainment goods. That way parents pay for DVDs when they think they're buying new underwear and deoderant.

What's wrong with Walmart, Target, and the places you've been using? If you buy most DVDs yourself, then just get the few acceptable DVDs from Walmart and buy the rest from Best Buy or wherever with your own cash.
Old 06-09-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

gutwrencher,

I agree: many parents need a slapping, or just plain simple extermination. Actually, extermination sounds a lot easier. My hands would fall off from slapping so many parents. Then again, my index fingers would fall off from shooting so many of them. Huh. Dilemma here.
Old 06-10-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if someone cant get a job....they dont want a job. if you know how to get one...you'll have one.
I work for an IT Staffing/Solutions multinational, and I know for a fact that this statement is total bunk.

If your statement is supposed to mean "45 yer old professionals, with almost 25 years of IT work experience, who got laid off after the economy took a nosedive after 9/11, can get work if they want to slug lattes at Starbucks" -- then yes, they can find employment.
Old 06-10-03, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
I work for an IT Staffing/Solutions multinational, and I know for a fact that this statement is total bunk.

If your statement is supposed to mean "45 yer old professionals, with almost 25 years of IT work experience, who got laid off after the economy took a nosedive after 9/11,
hmmmm. I have 2 formally "laid off" employees, over 40, who knew they could get a job at a moving company....even just temp...and make about 150 bucks a day. I was let go after 18 years not too long ago....and after being unemployed for 5 days...started my own company. if they have the drive and the will to to a little physical labor....jobs are oozing out of the woodwork. you need to do something to get by....so do it. btw, we were talking about kids....punks. there are PLENTY of jobs for them...and everyone knows it. use whatever excuse you want.
Old 06-10-03, 06:52 PM

If you are in a college town, there are probably lots of places that cater specifically to this type of deception.

When I was in college at UF (in Gainesvile, which is the epitome of the typical "college town"), there were a lot of stores that made it easy for college kids to spend their parents money on non-essential stuff. For instance, the book stores sold all kinds of non-school related stuff such as shot glasses, mugs, clothing, etc. An even more extreme case would be stores that had outright deceptive names that would be shown on a CC billing statement. For instance, I heard there was a smoke shop, where you could buy various tobacco products and accessories with a CC, and it would show up on the CC billing statement as a purchase from "Pat's Book & Supplies". I can't imagine how many parents unknowingly paid for shot glasses and tobacco accessories, while thinking that the money was being spent on textbooks and school supplies.
Old 06-11-03, 01:26 PM
DrS

Sounds like stealing from the parents to me. Deceptively using money Ok for one purpose, for another. Maybe there are justifications possible, but I sure don't see any yet.

Get a job, ask your parents for money, but do not steal their money.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.