Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Marketplace Question

Old 03-01-03, 03:18 PM

Amazon Marketplace Question

I have a question regarding Amazon.com Marketplace.....

When you sell an item (i.e a DVD) and the funds are transferred into your bank account...are there any fees deducted from transferring the money into your account.? I know there are commissions that Amazon takes, but aside from those, does the bank take any charges?

Also, anyone encounter any problems I should know about using them to sell DVDs?

Thanks...I know i can email Amazon but I figure you guys would probably provide me with a quicker answer.

Thanks

Last edited by Dan325ci; 03-01-03 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-01-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't been hit with any other fees besides the amazon fees.
Old 03-01-03, 04:05 PM
Cool New Member

amazon takes .99 cents plus 15% of sale price. i might be wrong about the .99 but i'm 100% sure about the 15%. i sell ps2 games there.

aside from that, there are no fees. it's treated like a direct deposit of a paycheck.
Old 03-05-03, 04:24 PM

I agree with method--it's 99-cents plus 15% of the selling price. They automatically transfer the money into your bank with no extra fees involved.

Since they are getting 15%, I would love to know what the extra .99 is for with each sale?
Old 03-06-03, 12:07 AM
Cool New Member

it's a per-transaction fee, kind of like their $3.00 per-shipment rate and $.99 per-item rate on standard shipping for books.
Old 03-07-03, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

So would you recommend selling at Amazon versus eBay or Yahoo auctions?

I'm looking for an alternative to eBay.
Old 03-08-03, 01:03 PM
Cool New Member

i like amazon because the buyer pays via Credit Card right away. For honest sellers that don't want to wait for a check or money order to arrive, it's pretty nice. The commission they take can be steep for big ticket items but, for most things, it's not so bad.

For instance, i just sold a PS2 game for $33.99 price (buyer pays that plus $3.49 for shipping.) The total i got was $30.16 so it wasn't such a bad deal. For standard shipping, they give you a $2.26 credit ($5 something for expedited) and you have 2 days to ship it.

You can wait for the money to be deposited twice monthly (like Half.com) or you can have Amazon deposit it right away for no additional charge.
Old 03-08-03, 03:37 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info method.

I've never used Half.com, don't really know anything about it, but I have sold a hundred or so DVD's on eBay, and I'm pretty happy with the way I get paid (PayPal mostly). I recently ran afoul of eBay's Mature Listings Policy, (I used a forbidden word in an auction listing and they cancelled all of my auctions), so I'm thinking about selling some non-mature items over at Amazon.
Old 03-09-03, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I was wondering who is liable for buyer claims of non receipt of goods.

I know that Amazon.com offers some sort of guarantee that your items will be delivered to you or you get a refund including shipping charges (if you pay through Amazon payments)

As a seller, would I be on the hook for this claim? Would Amazon take the money back from me?

In other words, what is to stop a buyer from claiming he/she did not receive the item (even if they really did) and putting through a false claim to recover all of their fees back? Afterall, shipping via media mail does not come with delivery confirmation.

Is this claim passed on to the seller or does Amazon absorb these fraud claims?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm curious about their fraud protection as well.

A while back I was looking at a DV camcorder on Amazon. There were 2 individuals selling the $3000+ camera for about $1500. Both claimed to be in LA and that the cameras were "new".

I emailed one of them to ask whether it was a gray market camera and if it had all the accessories included (battery, charger, eyepiece). He replied and said it was all US, full warranty, all accessories etc etc He said he was in LA and just bought it but got another camera blah blah blah.

To cut to the chase, I traced the IP in his email to me and it was from Romania! This guy wasn't anywhere near California and there was no way that the camera was new, complete and at that price. No way.

But according to the Amazon pages I would be protected as a buyer. Add in the fact I'd use my American Express (which has been very efficient in protecting me in the past) and I almost did it just to see if I'd get anything in the mail. But in the end, I was not ready to deal with the hassle. Has anybody dealt with buyer protection from Amazon's private sellers?
Old 03-09-03, 07:03 PM

I would say you would be protected if the item was "materially" different then what you thought you were purchasing...but...

Actually, my question was concerning seller protection. How am I protected from a buyer who claims he/she never received the product? Would I be on the hook or would Amazon pick up that? It seems the buyer is protected quite well....but what about the seller?