Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

RIP - DVD Planet B&M

Old 02-21-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RIP - DVD Planet B&M

RIP...we hardly knew ye.
Old 02-21-03, 04:34 PM

Re: RIP - DVD Planet B&M

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
RIP...we hardly knew ye.
Are you kidding? They didn't go under, they moved a 1/2 mile down the street to a better location. If DVDPlanet closes anything, it would be their website. The website barely breaks even, if at all. The store front is what's makes a possitve cash flow. You might want to get your facts straight before posting something that's far from being true.
Old 02-21-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They are not closing but moving. I received an advertisement from them about a week ago promoting the move to the new location. They even enclosed a $5 off coupon that was good for in store purchases. I might have used the coupon if only they were closer to where I live.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 02-21-03 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well...yeah...i meant the old location. Duh.
I had a lot of memories at that location. Only place to get Laserdiscs.

Last edited by Aphex Twin; 02-21-03 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RIP.....
Old 02-21-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey I just used my $5 coupon at the new location last Sunday (2/16). I picked up Rebecca: CC and Spellbound: CC for around $50 total out the door.

I commented to the clerk about the move being so fast and he told me they moved the store in one day. The new location is larger and much nicer. They have a few widescreen RPTVs scattered throughout the store playing different DVDs, and above the main checkout counter they have 4 4:3 TVs. It was kind of funny to see a Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode playing along side Spellbound.

The new location is better overall.
Old 02-22-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I visited the new location (and used my $5 off coupon) as well. I preferred the old place. Had a more of a one-of-a-kind feel and EVERYTHING used to be in alphabetical order in addition to a New Release Section. It made finding DVDs MUCH easier IMHO. (The EVERYTHING Section started mutating into smaller categories as years went on. Hell, the store used to be Laser Disc only before it slowly gave way to DVD only.)

The new place is too much like a Best Buy store for my tastes--too many different categories and generic clerks running the store. (Many of the old employees who really knew the business quit a few months ago before this move.)

Anyway, I'll still shop there as long as they keep the 35% off Criterion titles and 30% off the week's "Top 25" DVDs. And as long as Ray is at the front counter running the cash register. Great guy who loves movies, but give that man a chair! Standing all day is no way to treat one of your top employees.
Old 02-22-03, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Franchot
And as long as Ray is at the front counter running the cash register. Great guy who loves movies, but give that man a chair! Standing all day is no way to treat one of your top employees.
Ray's a great guy! He actually will not sit on the job. His work ethic is amazing and a guy like him deserves more in life.