Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

borders b&m exchange policy?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-03, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i find it to be somewhat random. i purchased 6 or 7 items (books and dvds both) two weeks ago priced anywhere from 9.99 to 74.99. i went to exchange some of the items yesterday without the receipt (i sent it in with the universal deal), and they didn't give me what i paid. here is the breakdown.

all the exchanges were dvds
1 bought at 14.99 exchanged at 12.99
1 bought at 32.99 exchanged at 32.99
1 bought at 39.99 exchanged at 29.99
(none including tax)

this is about 14% less than i paid. i wasn't too upset as i used a coupon for the second purchase, but was utterly confused on why they would do this.
Old 02-07-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Without a receipt, I think they will only credit you the lowest price for a particular item within the last 3-6 months. Seems like a fair way to do it. You might be able to convince a manager that these were recent purchases and therefore you should be given a higher credit, but it would be hard without a dated receipt.
Old 02-08-03, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bhauge has stated our policy correctly. Without the receipt, you can only return items and receive a store credit for the lowest price the item last sold for. Items must also be returned within 30 days and must be in saleable condition.

Sorry, WiccanPagan.
Old 02-08-03, 10:23 AM

np speedy. but the two of you state it differently. he said lowest price for the last couple months, you said lowest price it was last purchased at. are you both right? and thanks for the 30 days info, i didn't realize this, guess i was lucky i didn't wait longer.
Old 02-08-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WiccanPagan
np speedy. but the two of you state it differently. he said lowest price for the last couple months, you said lowest price it was last purchased at. are you both right? and thanks for the 30 days info, i didn't realize this, guess i was lucky i didn't wait longer.
It should be within the last 30 days. If it is longer than 30 days, Borders does not have to accept the return and it is left to the manager's discretion.

An obvious example would a purchase made in October as a Christmas present. The 30 day threshold would have been exceeded in this example. But if it was bought as a Christmas present, we generally accept the return (aslong as we sell or have sold the item previously). If during that time (October - December) the item went on sale twice, the computer would display the lowest price the item sold at. If someone returned the item between the first sale and before the second sale, the credit amount could be slightly higher (at most a couple of bucks from what I've seen).

Confusing eh?

When the receipt is present and it the return is with 30 days, the full amount of the purchase is refunded even if them item was on sale during that period.

Last edited by speedy1961; 02-08-03 at 02:45 PM.