Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Beware of the YourFreeDVDs.com programs

Old 01-30-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Beware of the YourFreeDVDs.com programs

This isn't about the quality of service from YourFreeDVDs.com, but rather two of their main affiliate programs: namely the Galleria and Simple Escapes 30-day free trials. Both nab you about 100 points towards DVDs, which is why I signed up.

Galleria and Simple Escapes (and Connections, although I didn't sign up for that) are owned by the same company. I'm not even sure exactly what they do; something about coupons. To be honest, I don't even care what they do, I just signed up for the points.

Anyway, as soon as I was awarded the points I called up and canceled, for both Galleria and Simple Escapes. This was obviously before the 30 days were through. Simple Escapes was the first one I signed up for, and was subsequently the first one that showed up on my credit card statement for 139.95. When I called up to chew them out I was told that it was showing up in their computers as canceled, so they didn't know why I was charged. They promised a refund in 7-10 days, which they delivered on.

Now, fast forward to today. I receive last month's credit card statement with, surprise, a charge from Galleria for 139.95. After calling up ready to bitch them out, they told me that, surprise, I showed up as canceled. "I don't know why you were charged," the operated exclaimed, and promised a full refund. He said I must have called up this afternoon about a refund because "it was processed today." When I told him I never called, he informed me that someone must have called on my behalf. Yeah, whatever.

Anyway, it's pretty obvious to me that they charge you regardless of whether you cancel in time, and just hope that people don't notice. The moral here is that while both 30-day trials nab you 100 points each, you'll be handing sensitive info over to a scam company. I recommend avoiding both these programs.

Last edited by BJacks; 01-31-03 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-31-03, 06:10 PM

Exactly why I stay away from those scams. Really not worth the aggravation and time for points to get a free DVD.
Old 02-01-03, 03:08 PM

I signed up for 3 or 4 of them. I cancelled all of them before the 30 days but one of them slipped through the cracks and I got charged $140. I called them up and told them who I spoke to when I cancelled, and they refunded the money within a week or two.

By the way, I thought I was being smart by using one-time-use cc #s from american express, but I was absolutely shocked to see that they charged me the $140. First of all, they initially charged my a $1 processing fee (which should have been the one-time-use of a one-time-use cc #), but they also charged me the $140 after the expiration date of my one-time-use #. After several calls to amex and many clueless operators, I finally spoke to someone who explained that they allow companies to make one additional charge to your one-time-use # in case they have a mistake with your order. So, don't think that a one-time-use # will protect you.

There was one benefit of being charged and refunded however. You may notice that they offer to give you a free $25 GC to some various merchants for signing up, however they wait more than 20 days after you sign up, before they send you the request form, so by the time you send it in you will have already cancelled your account (if you don't want to be charged). I sent in my request for a BBV GC even though I knew they probably would'nt honor it, because they would say that I cancelled my membership before they received and processed my request. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it) since they did not cancel my account when I told them to, they actually sent out my free $25 GC. Since they did refund my money, I ended up getting it for a net cost of $1 and some wasted time in the end. Of course for the $25 they lost on me, they will undoubtedly make a lot more by screwing over lots of other customers.

Last edited by spyzdope; 02-01-03 at 03:14 PM.