Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BestBuy Raincheck Question

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-03, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last week I got a raincheck from one of 2 local BestBuy's since all 3,000 copies of Barbershop sold out before I could get there. (Yes, I find it hard to believe that 3,000 copies sold out as well.) I got a handwritten raincheck from an employee (not a computer generated one as I have heard some people have gotten in the past). When they wrote it, they included the store number of the store where I was at.

My question is, I will be near the other BestBuy in my area this weekend and will be purchasing some other items. If they have Barbershop in stock, can I use my raincheck at that BestBuy even though it has the other store's store number written on it?

I've never heard of other stores not allowing you to purchase rainchecked items that are not in stock at one store, but are in-stock at another store using your raincheck, but I thought I'd check before I went this weekend.
Old 01-08-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm, I wouldn't think they'd have any problem honoring the raincheck, but Best Buy is unpredictable like that. The last few times I've done the raincheck thing at Best Buy I get the notice in the mail within a week. I know it's hindsight and all that, but why didn't you either buy it online and have it shipped free or at least do an in store pickup? That way you'd be sure to get it at the sale price.

I'm personally still waiting for my raincheck from Kmart's $9.99 Monsters Inc. deal.

Last edited by grenier; 01-08-03 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-08-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by grenier
I know it's hindsight and all that, but why didn't you either buy it online and have it shipped free or at least do an in store pickup?
I recently had my CC number stolen from online even-though I had only ever used "secure servers" when entering information. I'm very wary of using my credit card online ever again. (I know it's safer to do it online than in stores and restaurants, but I'm still wary.)

As far as in-store pickup, I've done it before and when I did the cashier left the store copy of the receipt out on the counter for all to see while she went and gabbed on the phone to her girlfriend. I watched for at least 5 minutes and finally after she didn't put it away, I walked over grabbed the receipt and placed it on the keyboard in-front of her terminal face down, and politely said, "I'd appreciate it if you kept my financial information private and not offer it for all to see." That was the last time I would ever do in-store pick-up where they actually had to imprint my card on the receipt.

When I had done it before they swiped the card in the register and didn't have to take an imprint. If they always swiped I'd not have a problem, but imprints are asking for trouble in my opinion.
Old 01-09-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ouch, I don't blame you for not buying online after having your CC number stolen.

I use the instore pickup as a last resort at Best Buy. It's a frustrating ordeal.
Old 01-09-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is a good question. i'd think with a normal raincheck there wouldn't be a problem. i say normal cuz i think i got an abnormal one. with the buy two selected universal and get a 10$ gc. i only wanted Out of sight and CB4. the first bestbuy was out of Out of sight i asked an employee and he looked and then offered a raincheck i explain the deal and he went to ask a manager if they could raincheck that deal. they couldn't. however the second bestbuy would, on the condition that i by the other title i wanted, CB4. So i got a raincheck for Out of Sight that in the comment field says i get a ten dollar gc when i buy OOS.

i haven't opened CB4 for insurance, gonna be around 3 different BB tomorrow.