Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Mystery gift certificate in my account at Amazon.

Old 01-09-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mystery gift certificate in my account at Amazon.

I went to purchase Family Guy today using the share the love deal. At the check out my total was 0. It showed the whole total paid by gift certificate. Problem is I haven't had a gift certificate since I got a $10 one from Vividence in December. I should of had $3.04 left on it.

Okay I check my account and I had a total of $64 in there before the Family Guy purchase.

My question, where the heck did this money come from. Did Vividence make a mistake and give me a $64 GC instead of a $10 one? Did Amazon make an error and some unfortunate person had their GC added to my account by mistake?

Should I take the money and run or question it? I like the idea of a few free DVDs, but I hate the thought the money might belong to someone else. I can't think of where this money came from.

Anyone ever have this happen to them?
Old 01-09-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

darkside, it's likely not someone else's money. Don't worry about that. There was a thread a few weeks ago about this topic though, and you are definitely NOT alone.

EDIT: here you go:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ficate+balance

Last edited by jiggyblau; 01-09-03 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like I should have checked my account before christmas.

Thanks for letting me know what is going on.
Old 01-10-03, 12:16 PM

The same thing's been happening to me for the last month or so. I've had nearly $300 show up for no reason.
Old 01-10-03, 04:18 PM

Well.....I may not have had the huge winfall some people did, but I now know why I found $11.00 in my AMZN account the other day.

I'll take what I can get without complaint......Some people didn't find a cent.

Thanks to all for clearing up the mystery surrounding the $11.00 I "found".
Old 01-10-03, 05:10 PM

I also found money in my account as well, but I figured out where it came from. I get and use a lot of GC, and sometimes Amazon drops them when the order ships, but I never seem to lose them altogether, they just reappear in my account to be used. After a hectic year with coupons, share the love, GC, etc. I have learned to make copies of all orders placed, and compare the totals charged on them with those that end up on the credit card. I have had problems, but they have always been fixed so far.
Old 01-10-03, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by RonG617
I also found money in my account as well, but I figured out where it came from. I get and use a lot of GC, and sometimes Amazon drops them when the order ships, but I never seem to lose them altogether, they just reappear in my account to be used. After a hectic year with coupons, share the love, GC, etc. I have learned to make copies of all orders placed, and compare the totals charged on them with those that end up on the credit card. I have had problems, but they have always been fixed so far.
I agree with you about making copies and checking the bills. To be honest this is one of two big reasons why I now limit my Amazon purchases to those made with GC's and titles DDD doesn't sell. The other is price.

It's a real pain to have to worry about them messing-up the price charged as often as they do.