Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

BestBuy.com sent the wrong dvd, need advice...

Old 01-01-03, 11:04 AM

BestBuy.com sent the wrong dvd, need advice...

For any of you who have dealt with their customer service dept, would I be better off letting them handle the exchange or just re-ordering the title myself and returning the wrong one and getting a credit for the amount I've already paid.

I ordered the Sound of Music 5-star (2-disc) and they sent me a 1-disc version instead. I even double-checked the site to make sure of which one I had ordered. There was an $8.00 price differential between these two items as well. My local BB doesn't have the item or I would have done store pick-up and avoided this altogether.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 01-01-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it was me, I'd just reorder the two disc version and return the single disc version to the store, instead of mailing it back. That way you could avoid waiting for the research department at bestbuy.com to look into the matter.
Old 01-01-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was going to suggest the same thing, but I don't believe you can. The way they process the returns wouldn't allow for an incorrect disc, as they have to scan and reinventory it.

You can try if you'd like, but I think this will have to be handled entirely over the phone w/ BB.com.
Old 01-01-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a similar issue within the last month and a CSR at BB.com instructed me to return the incorrect item to the store for a refund. They also gave me a case number.

At the B&M, the CSR was concerned that this would screw up their inventory, but a mgr approved the return once discussing it with BB.com.

It took a little longer than I cared for, but I am fairly happy with how smoothly it was handled.

They may or may not do it as they are concerned about inventory. But, it never hurts to try to avoid shipping it back.
Old 01-01-03, 12:55 PM

The CSR I spoke to on the phone said she needed to send the issue to "the people in Minnesota" (whoever they are) and they would contact me about dealing with the problem.
I don't know whether it has a case number yet. I could try and call back and check on that.

Also, I didn't mention that I opened the case, which is how I discovered it was the wrong item. So the store might give me a double hassle over that. I could always give it a shot, if the post-christmas lines aren't too long at the return counter.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-01-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They might have a problem at the store because the case is open, but it's hard to say this time of the year.

I had the wrong disc shipped to me from Bestbuy.com once and I returned it to the store, no questions asked. I wanted to exchange it for the correct title, but they wouldn't do that.
Old 01-02-03, 08:28 AM
Cool New Member

I had this happen when I oredered the 2-disk Patton and received the single disk. I returned it at the b&m with no problems.
Old 01-04-03, 01:24 AM

Well, I was able to return the item at the store and got a full refund, even though the case was unwrapped and opened. They didn't give me any hassle at all.

The worst part of this was finding out that BB.com did exactly the same thing to another DVDtalker. And I had been hoping to just re-order the item online, thinking they made a simple mistake. If they sent the wrong thing to someone else, maybe they have things really messed up there....

Thanks all, for the suggestions and info!