Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

UPS is pissing me off

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

UPS is pissing me off

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-02, 01:26 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPS is pissing me off

My 2 day air package isn't going to arrive on time.

Take a look at what's been happening.
It currently in Kentucky which doesn't do me any good since i'm in Connecticut.

Tracking Number: 1Z 3E4 472 02 4524 072 8
Service Type: 2ND DAY AIR

PACKAGE PROGRESS
Date Time Location Activity

Dec 18, 2002 10:10 A.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US ARRIVAL SCAN

8:07 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN

3:00 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN

2:45 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN

12:15 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN

Dec 17, 2002

9:02 P.M. JACKSONVILLE, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN

5:39 P.M. JACKSONVILLE, FL, US ORIGIN SCAN

6:59 A.M. JACKSONVILLE, FL, US ROUTED INCORRECTLY AT UPS FACILITY;PKG HAS BEEN REROUTED TO DESTINATION

4:36 A.M. JACKSONVILLE, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN

Dec 16, 2002

10:41 P.M. HIALEAH, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN

6:42 P.M. HIALEAH, FL, US ORIGIN SCAN

6:08 P.M. HIALEAH, FL, US ORIGIN SCAN
Old 12-18-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My UPS 2nd Day Air Package shipped on 12/12. I rec'd it yesterday 12/17. That's the longest two days I've encountered.

I've also had the misrouted package thing happen.

Also, I had stuff come to my town and then sent to some other state for a few days then back.

Only the shipper can demand the postage be refunded. I doubt that many people do it.
Old 12-18-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, luckily, I had some better luck. I ordered from Bestbuy.com on Saturday and here is what happened:

Dec 18, 2002 3:15 P.M. WEST CHESTER, PA, US DELIVERY
7:52 A.M. WEST CHESTER, PA, US OUT FOR DELIVERY
6:22 A.M. WEST CHESTER, PA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
5:28 A.M. HORSHAM, PA, US DEPARTURE SCAN
Dec 17, 2002 4:52 P.M. HORSHAM, PA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
5:59 A.M. MAUMEE, OH, US DEPARTURE SCAN
Dec 15, 2002 2:09 P.M. MAUMEE, OH, US ORIGIN SCAN
Dec 14, 2002 2:16 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

In actuality, it took 3 days to ship!!! Very impressed! It was scheduled to take anywhere from 5-14 business days.
Old 12-18-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really hate UPS.
Old 12-18-02, 04:56 PM

I've had 3 UPS packages and 1 FedEx package this week. All were delivered quickly.

I've been seeing this alot lately too:
Dec xx, 2002 x:xx P.M. WEST CHESTER, PA, US DELIVERY
I work in Malvern and live in Downingtown.
Old 12-18-02, 06:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I never had a problem with the 2 and 3 day shipments, but UPS ground is the worst. I actually have media mail from USPS beat it by days usually.
Old 12-18-02, 06:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

UPS? I never have much of a problem or compliant with them. USPS, now that is another matter. I once sold something on ebay and the buyer was in the same city but wanted it shipped. So I shipped it Priority Mail and it was a full week before it got there. I could have met half way and delivered it person in less than 20 minutes. We are not talking about the holidays here either.
Old 12-18-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts
I've had the occasional UPS package do some strange routing things.

Once I had a package from my next-door state make trip through about five different states.

Also, anyone get UPS packages that look like they've had the **** beaten out of them? Like the package handlers used it for a soccer ball.
Old 12-19-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask for a refund if this is something bought from a store.

Did that with an online store and they had no problems giving back the difference in shipping.

It was Airborne Express and not UPS. I've never had a problem with UPS or Fedex.
Old 12-19-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just love how they say they'll try three times, and then take it back to the sender. Or, of course, you can just pick up the package at the local sort facility. Oh yeah, tiny detail: you have from 8-5 or so to pick it up. During the week only. I guess only UPS employees work for a living.

Thank goodness at least I can reroute the packages from the website. Still doesn't make up for the inconveniences and extremely slow "ground" shipping.

Two weeks ago, I knew a package was coming. So I left a note--bring it to the leasing office. OK, simple right? I get home, there's a note from UPS. We were here! And the leasing office was closed! So, they write on the slip that they'll be back AGAIN after 5pm the next day. Well, I'm not home right after 5pm, and the office is closed. Why not just decide to come at another time? I know UPS goes to many places twice a day. Anyway, I had to log on and reroute the package. It was delivered to work the next day.
Old 12-19-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 546 Posts
My UPS next day air package shipped Monday arrived on time Tuesday although I wasn't home and for some reason they did not leave the package at the leasing office (like they always have). On the 2nd attempt, they did leave it at the leasing office.

I just ordered merchandise on amazon Tuesday with standard shipping - guaranteed to arrive by Dec 24. There is a partial shipment that went out this morning via FedEx 3-day (which amazon says takes 3-7 business days). Why do I have a feeling that it will not arrive by Dec 24?
Old 12-19-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate the three attempt rule. I had a package coming via Airborne Express and wasn't home when they came the first time, so they left a delivery attempted note on my back door . I signed
the note, authorizing them to leave the package and I stuck the note on the back door, right where the driver left it. I get home the next day and find an attempted delivery note on my front door. The driver didn't bother checking the back door. I don't have a side door for them to stick a note on the following day but I wasn't going to take a chance and have the package sent back. I ended up going and picking it up at their facility.
I had another bad Airborne experience now that I think about it. About four years ago I won a trip to the West Coast and my airline tickets and travel plans were shipped Airborne Express. I got home from work and find a big shipping envelope sitting in a puddle near my front door. It was raining all day and they didn't bother putting it in a bag, or even placing it on my front porch which is covered by an awning.
Old 12-19-02, 11:55 AM

Wow! That package sure likes vacationing in Florida!

I once had a package sent from California (to Brooklyn, New York) and it finally made it's way to Queens. The next day, it was shipped to Jersey City(???) and then it came to Brooklyn two days later!

The 3 attempt rule is dumb anyway. Ocassionally, I'm home during Mondays and the UPS guy doesn't show up at all. The next thing you know, online, it says "Made First Attempt"(???). I can't be here the next day or the next so I usually have a neighbor sign for it. I've only had one package sent back but UPS decided not to bill me or the sender after I made it clear that all 3 attempts were not made.
Old 12-19-02, 07:51 PM

UPS Blue is not guaranteed like UPS Red is, so it could take more than 2 days. Also when you pay for air service, you don't expect for ground, so they can't simply just put it on a truck, they have to fly it further then fly it back. Otherwise they'd get lawsuits for not putting the package on a plane, and it's pretty difficult to find a plane that go from NJ to NYC.
Old 12-21-02, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dont get me started on this UPS routing stuff. Ive seen some strange things. For some reason my area has a hard time getting stuff on time. Overnight packages dotn arrive when they are supposed to. 2 day takes 3 days, 3 days takes 5 days, and a week takes 2 weeks. One time i saw a route of a package from Delaware, to jersey, to texas, to penn, to upstate ny and finally to our area. If i was a package i would have had some vacation :-)
Old 12-23-02, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by Vision Society
UPS Blue is not guaranteed like UPS Red is, so it could take more than 2 days. Also when you pay for air service, you don't expect for ground, so they can't simply just put it on a truck, they have to fly it further then fly it back. Otherwise they'd get lawsuits for not putting the package on a plane, and it's pretty difficult to find a plane that go from NJ to NYC.
Since when do you say UPS Blue is not guaranteed?
They actually recently expanded the guarentee to cover ground shipments even.

"How about on-schedule delivery of your package or your money back? When you ship a package via UPS SonicAir®, UPS Worldwide Express PlusSM, UPS Worldwide ExpressSM, UPS Worldwide ExpeditedSM, UPS Standard To Canada, UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, UPS Next Day Air Saver®, UPS 2nd Day Air A.M.®, UPS 2nd Day Air®, UPS 3 Day Select ® and UPS Ground, you'll get guaranteed on-schedule delivery. In the event that we fail to complete delivery or attempt delivery within the time commitment, we will credit or refund your shipping charges upon request to the payor."
Old 12-23-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Vision Society
UPS Blue is not guaranteed like UPS Red is, so it could take more than 2 days.
What you might be thinking of, is that RED guarantees by 10:30 AM, whereas BLUE and ORANGE only guarantee to get it there sometime that day, but they are guaranteed to arrive in the specified time or you can get your charges refunded.
Old 12-27-02, 10:03 PM

Here is my current living hell that I am experiencing with UPS 2nd-day air (shipped monday, 12/23/02; should have arrived Thursday 12/26/02 with the Xmas holiday):

I have gotten the following excuses from them (on this one shipment):

Weather too bad (Debateable)
Wrong Address (They have admitted this one is false (or a flat-out lie!))
Directions Needed (Not my fault!)
New Driver: Slow and Lost (Not my problem!)
Weather bad again. (Bull! - by this time the roads were totally clear!)

---------------------------------------------------------
Dec 27, 2002
6:17 P.M. ALTOONA, PA, US HOLD FOR FUTURE DELIVERY;DELIVERY RESCHEDULED

4:21 P.M. ALTOONA, PA, US EMERGENCY CONDITIONS BEYOND UPS' CONTROL

Dec 26, 2002
7:31 P.M. ALTOONA, PA, US HOLD FOR FUTURE DELIVERY;DELIVERY RESCHEDULED

7:05 P.M. ALTOONA, PA, US DELIVERY CHANGE REQUEST TO BE PROCESSED;PKG IS BEING HELD FOR FUTURE DELIVERY

6:57 P.M. ALTOONA, PA, US DIRECTIONS NEEDED, NOT DELIVERED;ADDRESS CORRECTED, DELIVERY RESCHEDULED

2:05 P.M. ALTOONA, PA, US CORRECT STREET # NEEDED, NOT DELIVERED

9:11 A.M. ALTOONA, PA, US OUT FOR DELIVERY

9:02 A.M. ALTOONA, PA, US ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS DELAY

9:00 A.M. ALTOONA, PA, US ARRIVAL SCAN

6:20 A.M. PITTSBURGH, PA, US DEPARTURE SCAN

Dec 24, 2002
3:21 P.M. PHILADELPHIA, PA, US DEPARTURE SCAN
12:13 P.M. PHILADELPHIA, PA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
10:53 A.M. WEST COLUMBIA, SC, US DEPARTURE SCAN
9:19 A.M. WEST COLUMBIA, SC, US ARRIVAL SCAN
8:14 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
3:45 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
3:30 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN

Dec 23, 2002
9:53 P.M. ORLANDO, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
7:27 P.M. TAMPA, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
6:45 P.M. TAMPA, FL, US ORIGIN SCAN
6:05 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
---------------------------------------------------------
This is what I get for paying an extra $63 to get my package swiftly. If it ever arrives, I am refusing it.
Old 12-28-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going through UPS-related hell right now with my package. I bought a 2nd tivo from a place in Kentucky. They say it was dropped off at the UPS facility on the 20th of December, but all it says on the UPS tracking site is 'Billing Information Received'. WTF is going on?
Old 12-29-02, 12:16 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 285 Likes on 218 Posts
The delivery guy who does my route can't even read. I've had 3 packages come in the last month and 2 of them went to the wrong house. The really funny thing is on the same day he got the one package right I was supposed to recieve 2, the other one was dropped off down the street. I even checked the address at they were right on all 3.
Old 12-29-02, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts
Luckily I have the same UPS guy delivering to me for a while now, and if he sees I have shipments spaced a few days apart he'll try and deliver them all together, sometimes early (even though I know they're not supposed to do that).

The problem, like everyone else says, is that they usually deliver during business hours, and if you're not home you're SOL (if you have to sign for it). Also, even though there's a main UPS shipment center warehouse/desk about 3 miles away from me, for some stupid reason they hold items at a facility 30miles away, and make me pick them up there. (But it's ok to ship from the that closer warehouse).

Also, USPS is no better. Even though I also know my mailman and he'll leave packages inside my apt lobby, there is even less of a guarantee with them that it will actually make it to you, even with tracking and verification, etc. Sad but true.

Last edited by Eric F; 12-29-02 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-29-02, 06:16 PM
Cool New Member

As far as the slips they leave and 3 tries thing. If you look at the slip you can sign the back to indicate to just leave the package at your door. Even for stuff that requires signatures.

You all are expecting way too much. Why in the world would ANYONE pay $63 more bucks for shipping to get something earlier. You all do know that it was the holidays. Whose fault is it that you all waited till the last moment and then expect your packages immediately? As far as weather delays go just because your roads are clear doesn't mean that where the trucks are it is or the planes can get in with the packages. UPS trucks and planes are the only things on the roads and in the air.

Complaining about late delivery of packages is about the dumbest thing ever that people do. Delayed arrival of mail ordered packages is part of the system. For every 1 that is late there are millions that are on time. Don't like UPS then choose a different carrier. Can't pick a different carrier then shop someplace else.
Old 12-29-02, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by MikeA
Why in the world would ANYONE pay $63 more bucks for shipping to get something earlier.

Finally found the item in stock, after a long out-of-stock period everywhere, company needed right away. Company was paying for it all, anyway. That is why. Good enough?

You all do know that it was the holidays. Whose fault is it that you all waited till the last moment and then expect your packages immediately?
Well, then UPS should NOT have things like this posted at their site:
"UPS 2nd Day Air provides guaranteed on-time delivery to every address throughout the United States (excluding intra-Alaska shipments) and Puerto Rico by the end of the second business day."

As far as weather delays go just because your roads are clear doesn't mean that where the trucks are it is or the planes can get in with the packages. UPS trucks and planes are the only things on the roads and in the air.
Well, Mr. Rand McNally, I'm sure you know more about the weather and geography right by my house than I ever possibly could!

Complaining about late delivery of packages is about the dumbest thing ever that people do. Delayed arrival of mail ordered packages is part of the system. For every 1 that is late there are millions that are on time. Don't like UPS then choose a different carrier. Can't pick a different carrier then shop someplace else.
Maybe you'll need an organ transplant sometime, and it doesn't show up on time. It is my opinion, if a company promises guaranteed delivery on a certain date, and there is no clause in that contract about being allowed to be several days late for any inane reason, then the package should be delivered on time, or people have the right to complain.
Old 12-29-02, 08:19 PM

I've never had a problem with UPS shipments, they've always arrived on time and in good condition. Airborne Express is a different matter however. I haven't received a single package correctly since I moved to my new place over a year ago. The delivery person always delivers it to a neighbor's place...but never the same one. I've called them when I'm expecting packages to let them know where I live, but they still aren't getting it right. I try to avoid ordering from places that ship via Airborne, but sometimes there's no other alternative. Fortunately, all of my neighbors are friendly, so I do get all the packages...eventually.
Old 12-30-02, 11:04 AM
Cool New Member

Well, then UPS should NOT have things like this posted at their site:
"UPS 2nd Day Air provides guaranteed on-time delivery to every address throughout the United States (excluding intra-Alaska shipments) and Puerto Rico by the end of the second business day."
And I'm sure since you think you are so right that you did read the fine print...right?

The guarantee does not apply to UPS 2nd Day Air A.M., UPS 2nd Day Air, UPS 3 Day Select, and UPS Ground shipments that are picked up or scheduled to be delivered between December 12 and December 25.

Your package was picked up within your dates. They do not guarantee anything within those dates because of the holidays. You can complain all you want, but they did not guarantee you anything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.