Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Beware of Samgoody

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Beware of Samgoody

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-02, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beware of Samgoody

Samgoody.com cannot be trusted to honor their "deals". After nearly a MONTH of emails and phone calls, I finally got a coupon code that worked (as a reward for ordering Band of Brothers). However, they would not honor the 10% off and free shipping offer they ran during Thanksgiving despite the fact that it was their screwups that sent invalid codes, refused to respond to detailed emails, and had a phone line that didn't work half of the time. I was told that I "should have called on Thanksgiving"...when I pointed out that I did that very thing with no answer except a recording, the CSR had no response other than "someone should have answered" (my point exactly). The CSR also refused to put a manager on the line. He did say that I could call up after the order came in and request a 10% refund,
but that there was nothing that could be done about the free shipping.
Samgoody continues to offer digital coupons for preordering DVD's. My advice is to run as fast as you can from these deals.
Head instead to amazon.ca, deepdiscountdvd, or some other website that will honor its advertised deals. As far as I am concerned, Samgoody is either a dishonest or incompetent etailer...perhaps both. Order at your own peril.
Old 12-05-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the warning, although this should be in the store forum.

Sucks that they won't help you out.
Old 12-05-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah,

They first gave me a bad code and then gave me a code that expired in 24hours (I was like WTF?). What I bought has been in a "Verifying" status since 11/26. What a joke.

Definitely a crap site after thier "upgrade". They even charge MSRP on almost everything now. What a joke.

*Should be in store forum or BOB thread
Old 12-05-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I posted in the ET thread about my experience with samgoody and the pre-order for ET.

To make a long story shorter - people who ordered with their Amazon next-card (which went tits-up after they pre-ordered) were told by the CSRs that there was no way they could get their orders re-instated at the excellent pre-order price. My order (with a regular visa) was somehow bunged by their service dept and cancelled. I didn't even bother being nice, I cussed them out in email, I was the most obnoxious customer they've ever had (or at least I tried to be) my theory being that since NO ONE had been able to get satisifcation with the next-card fiasco, there was no way they would give me satisifaction so I might as well blow off a little steam at their expense - mean, self-centered, I know, but we all have our faults.

To my utter amazement, after just two over the top of bitch session emails, they decided that they could honor the original price, all I had to do was make the order at the current price and once it was received, let them know and they would credit me the difference.

So, my advice is to be the most obnoxious, foul-mouthed a-hole that you can be via email and see if that helps -- don't pull any punches. It sounds like it won't make things any worse and they definitely have a history of fixing things for customers, who by all rights should be banned from ever shopping there again.
Old 12-06-02, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's my last post from the SG where's my $25.00 GC thread.

What A Joke!

I just checked my order status for the order I placed using my BOB $25.00 DC and it says my credit card company (Discover Card) declined the purchase. This is total BS as my total purchase was $25.18 minus the $25.00 DC, therefore they are trying to claim Discover wouldn't authorize an $0.18 purchase.

I called Discover to see if they had refused any charges towards my account and they said they hadn't. I then asked the rep if they would reject a charge for only $0.18 and I was told that if the merchant had submitted the charge they would accept it with no problems what so ever! Naturally one of the two titles I had ordered is now showing as out of stock plus the free shipping and 10% off are long gone now.

This should be a fun call to make when SG opens.

I'm still waiting on a response from SG to see how they are going to handle this. It totally pisses me off that they didn't even bother to e-mail me when they canceled my order. If I don't receive free S&H and 10% off on my next order I will protest my BOB purchase with my CC company
Old 12-06-02, 08:01 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Store Forum.
Old 12-06-02, 10:21 AM

I purchased 2 cds from them during the same time mediaplay was having the box set deals. Both orders came in just fine for me without problems.