Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster raises prices on see it, like it, buy it.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Blockbuster raises prices on see it, like it, buy it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're willing to wait for them to sell it used for whatever price (on top of the rental fee you paid) why not just wait a little longer and get it as an enrollment in Columbia House where your average price on a membership will be close to $9 per disc for brand new sealed movies?
Old 11-28-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just rented Bad Company and Reign of Fire. Still says $9.99 on the receipt. My rentals cost $3.98 with tax...plus a buy one get one free coupon...for a total of $1.99 for each. Not a bad deal; $11.98 for each DVD.
Old 12-01-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by RevLiver
If you're willing to wait for them to sell it used for whatever price (on top of the rental fee you paid) why not just wait a little longer and get it as an enrollment in Columbia House where your average price on a membership will be close to $9 per disc for brand new sealed movies?
I agree with this..

I too live in Chicago, and I have never seen a used dvd priced less than like 14 bucks at either blockbuster remotely near downtown. So that includes the two on division. Plus rentals with tax etc are like 4.50+

blockbuster is evil. just spend double the rental cost and purchase it, then let your family, friend etc. borrow it for free. Then you're getting some savings, when they don't have to pay rental costs, and you have it to enjoy as long as you want.

just my opinion. However, this is a good deal if you like it I guess.
Old 12-02-02, 09:34 AM
Banned

Since when has Blockbuster ever been "competitive"?

Old 12-02-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by icondude
Since when has Blockbuster ever been "competitive"?

They are trying their damndest. Now, when you buy a NEW DVD on your Blockbuster account, you get a free rental next time you come in. For every DVD you buy, too. No limit. You can buy 5 DVDs and get 5 free rentals next time. It's automatically on your account, and is not valid towards 2 day rentals, and is only valid for 7 days after the transaction.

If they really want me to buy DVDs from them, then lower the damn prices. They are not competitive at all on first week new releases, and some of their older titles are still priced beyond reason. The Last Starfighter, a DVD I would have bought, was 29.99 from them. Yeah, it's still sitting there, collecting dust.

And don't even get me started on their previewed DVDs. Only losers buy previewed DVDs from Blockbuster.