Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buying DVDs at Walmart?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buying DVDs at Walmart?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 08:10 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buying DVDs at Walmart?

I'm new to the whole DVD scene, and thought I read something once that you should not buy DVDs at Walmart because they edit for explicit content? I know they do that on audio CDs, but can they or do they on DVDs? I know I could get better prices elsewhere, but I live in a small town and that is the only place that sells DVDs. Also if I ask for DVDs for Xmas, that's where my family would go to get them.....and if they are edited, I won't ask for any DVDs. So is it OK to buy DVDs at Walmart? Thanks.
Old 11-20-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Hmmm...I haven't bought many there, and I don't think they're as concerned about DVD content as audio CD content [more hypocrisy: if you're going to censor, at least be consistent], but they can certainly decide what to carry or not carry. I know that Blockbuster used to request changes or 'altered versions' of some films, and they would get it because they had so much purchasing power. Not sure if they still do, or if WalMart has tried that yet, but i haven't noticed any differences with the few I've bought there.
The big thing to worry about with Walmart is having to hunt down the widescreen versions
Old 11-20-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DVDs you find at WalMart are the exact same ones that you would find anywhere else. They don't edit them.
Old 11-20-02, 10:14 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, thanks guys.
Old 11-20-02, 12:06 PM

yep, as a FORMER employee of big Wally World (1 1/2 years, the 1/2 year I spent in Electronics) I should note that

A)if there are rated & unrated versions available, they carry the rated version

and

B)they stock widescreen & fullscreen versions of all titles that have that option, so nobody is left out

so spend your money there if thats your closest option
Old 11-20-02, 03:20 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The DVDs from Walmart are identical to those you can buy elsewhere. They simply do not carry any "unrated" version (American Pie, Van Wilder, ...).
Old 11-20-02, 08:13 PM

I know they do that on audio CDs
They don't edit CDs*, although they will carry clean versions of CDs containing explicit content.

* I don't want to get into an argument about how Wal-mart 'forces' studios to produce these CDs, so don't even bother.
Old 01-18-04, 10:55 AM

Ok, here's a follow-up to this original question...

I recently bought the dvd "Outkast: The Videos" at Wal-mart. I know that with cds they sell only the edited versions and it is clearly marked on the bar code. When I opened the disc and played it, the videos had been edited. Nowhere on the packaging or on the Wal-Mart barcode did it say that this disc had been edited. My question is, are all the Outkast dvds the same way, or was it just because I bought it at Wal-Mart?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-04, 08:05 AM

Copies of 8 Mile sold at Wal-Mart have the extra music video censored.

NYTimes article:
http://mailbox.gsu.edu/pipermail/ted...ay/000003.html
Old 01-20-04, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by taronga
Copies of 8 Mile sold at Wal-Mart have the extra music video censored.
Every copy of 8 Mile has the extra music video censored.
Old 01-21-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gerry P.
Every copy of 8 Mile has the extra music video censored.
"Superman" video is uncensored on mine. That girl has some big BBS!
Old 01-26-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 8 Mile extras are uncensored....i remember there being several different releases of this movie....WS,FS, uncensored extras, and censored extras.
Old 01-28-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I know that Blockbuster used to request changes or 'altered versions' of some films, and they would get it because they had so much purchasing power."

That is the EXACT reason why they haven't seen a red cent from me for the last 6 years and that is the EXACT reason why they won;t see a red cent from me for the rest of my life. FU Ballbuster. Out of EVERYTHING a company can do to piss me off that had to be the worst. Refund my $$ from these altered films that I had the displeasure of seing hacked and I'll think about renting from them again. That's not going to happen so......

RANT OVER.

"Copies of 8 Mile sold at Wal-Mart have the extra music video censored."

Now was the DVD listed as censored or did they just sell it to unknowing consumers because Joe Uptight got his panties in a bundle over the last Maxim issue at Walmart. It's funny how what Walmart says:
"Representatives of Wal-Mart, its Sam's Club price clubs and other general merchandise chains say that they worry only about their customers, not their impact on the culture."

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!! I can't go into the store to complain that they don't have Movie X so that they go out and stock it. But if they have Movie X and Joe Uptight sees it and complains they yank it off the shelves. It's a one way street and Joe Uptight is running the inventory department.

2nd rant over.
Old 01-29-04, 12:05 PM
Retired

My 8-mile is uncensored as well. I bought it release day/week at Best Buy.
Old 01-29-04, 12:52 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
My 8-mile is uncensored as well. I bought it release day/week at Best Buy.
Actually, I take that back. I was thinking wrong. The nudity isn't what's censored, it's the lyrics. Some words are muted out. I'm pretty sure it's that way on all versions. Just slipped my mind.
Old 01-29-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also they look at you like you’re from Mars and have Lobsters coming out of your ears if you buy widescreen.
Old 02-01-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Tazwolff
Also they look at you like you’re from Mars and have Lobsters coming out of your ears if you buy widescreen.
They do? When I purchase DVDs at Wal-Mart, they couldn't care less what I'm buying.
Old 02-04-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I try to buy all of my DVDs at Wal-Mart now as they have the best prices in my area. (Unrated versions and such still have to be bought at another retailer.) All non-boxed set new releases are a guaranteed $14.88 or less on release day. BestBuy, CC, BlockBuster and Target have nothing on that price.

The same is true with popular CDs as most are $9.88 or $9.78 on release day.
Old 02-04-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know "Secretary" had a different (less-risque) cover at Wal-Mart, but I don't think the movie was any different.