Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone notice netflix availability getting worse?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-06-02, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been an extremely happy member for months and months.. but recently my queue has more and more (and more and more) 'wait' statuses these days. Anyone else experiencing that? Are they getting too big?
Old 11-06-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Absolutely. Maybe I'm just putting too many obscure films in my queue, but right now I have over 30 titles in there and one -- ONE -- of them is available.

I'm going to have to put some more titles in there when I return my latest batch. But, frankly, it's a bit ridiculous that I would have to add titles to a queue of over 30. That should be plenty for someone who only rents 2 films at a time.

I still don't understand the logic with them. I have titles in my queue that have been at "very long wait" status since February. Might that not be a sign that they should order another copy or two?!?
Old 11-06-02, 03:27 PM
Cool New Member

I can tell you for sure that if the hot "New Release" is not shipped to you on Tuesday, you'll end up waiting for it for some time. I.e. Windtalkers, Enought, Insomnia.

Another problem for me at least: I ship 2 DVDs back at the same day, one is being checked in the next day, and the other in 3 -4 days. What gives?
Old 11-06-02, 04:26 PM

Total agreement here, too! A month or so ago I was noticing about 60-70% titles on my "list" were available. Today, I think it was 1 out of 23. I assume with cold weather that more people are joining. And the Best Buy promotions push memberships. Still, Netflix has a responsibility to increase availability! Can anyone spell "RentMyDVD."

Let's hope Netflix realizes it's a serious problem and takes the steps to fix it!
Old 11-06-02, 07:47 PM

No problem here, even on new releases. I've had bad timing where I didn't have any movies to return at the time that new releases I wanted were coming out, but still got them about a week later. My current queue is probably 85%-90% available.

I could be a statistical fluke, or it could be that I've been a member so long that I've subconciously adapted myself to certain tricks to maximize my chances of seeing the movies I want to see. Being on the 8-out plan certainly doesn't hurt.
Old 11-06-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
I've only had 2-3 titles (of those that they carry in their inventory) that are in a wait status in the last few months. Those that I am waiting on, stay in that staus a long time. Still, its not a big problem. Actually, I 've seen continued improvements, -they now carry some Anchor Bay titles (they didn't carry them at all for a long time). However, there are some odd titles that I'm looking for that seem to slip through their inventory: They don't carry "Best Seller" from MGM, or Goodtimes' "Kingdom of the Spiders", for example. Of course, maybe it depends on the distribution center servicing you...
Old 11-07-02, 12:22 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
I was a Netflix member in 1999 and quit. Recently I signed up for a two-week trial and quit again. Their selection is poor, especially for new releases. I tried out DVDBarn and it was a better service. Although I quit it too as Blockbuster has the Freedom Pass where I can check out up to 60 DVDs a month for $20. DVDBarn was mostly more geared towards new releases and better known titles rather than more obscure and foreign titles. I used my free Netflix trial to rent a couple of French movies (The Closet and the Taste of Others) and a German movie (Advertising Rules) 'cause that's all Netflix is good for.

At DVDBarn, for example on the 3 out at once plan, you could claim up to 2 of your DVDs received and sent back and they would send the next 2 DVDs in your queue before actually receiving the two you claimed returned. Don't know why Netflix doesn't do it. It was just a month ago and Swordfish? was Netflix's #1 rental and considered a hot new release . . . Hmmm, I'll never do the Netflix thing again for sure. I've been spoiled by DVDBarn and Blockbuster.