Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

buy.com shipping with UPS

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-16-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone purchased anything from buy.com recently? If you have, have you experienced any abnormal number of shipping problem when they use UPS?

I purchase from buy.com from time to time. Recently, they started shipping my items using UPS. But so far every shipment has resulted in something unusual. For example,

1) Item shipped from LA to San Jose resulted in item being shipped to Sacramento first before they realize the mistake.

2) Item shipped from San Jose to LA resulted in item being shipped to San Diego first before they realize the mistake.

3) Item shipped from LA to San Jose resulted in item being shipped to Salt Lake City, Utah before they realize the mistake.

Has anyone experience similar shipment error like I experienced? I'm just wondering if it's typical of UPS to screw up frequently like this.

Also, in another purchase from a different online store, the package containing a DVD player was shipped using UPS. It arrived on my doorstep with the box completely smashed. Luckily, the store packaged the DVD player very well, so the player was fine.

And finally, in another incident with UPS, a friend of mine shipped a monitor back to an online store to be replaced. He used UPS and purchased some insurance with them. The monitor arrived at the store smashed up, so the store refuse to give him any refund. He then ask UPS to pay for the monitor because he bought the insurance. UPS refused saying it's not their fault that the item is broken because the item is not packed securely. So my friend asked the package company to pay for it. They said they packed the monitor well and it's UPS's fault, but they are willing to pay half. So my friend ended up loosing about $500 because UPS refused to take responsibility.

Has anyone else encounter this type of shipping horror stories with UPS?
Old 10-16-02, 07:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a package from Amazon that was shipped from Delaware bound for New Jersey--about a 6 to 7 hour drive end up in California. It was interesting to see all the scans along the way. That package took about 2 1/2 weeks to finally get to my door. It was pretty wrecked, but it was ok inside. It is hard to get any shipper to take responsibility for damaged goods. I usually stick with sellers that will just send me another item if I report it damaged.
Old 10-17-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RonG617
I had a package from Amazon that was shipped from Delaware bound for New Jersey--about a 6 to 7 hour drive end up in California. It was interesting to see all the scans along the way. That package took about 2 1/2 weeks to finally get to my door. It was pretty wrecked, but it was ok inside. It is hard to get any shipper to take responsibility for damaged goods. I usually stick with sellers that will just send me another item if I report it damaged.
Thanks for sharing your bad shipping experience. Even though it's bad to say this, I feel a bit better now that I found out I'm not the only person who is experiencing all these badly shipped packages. I guess the saying 'misery loves company' is true.

BTW, did Amazon ship you a replacement item for the damaged one?
Old 10-17-02, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rarely make online purchases anymore, but within the last month I've made 3...all of which were shipped UPS, one from Time Life, one from Amazon, and the other from Buy.com, all 3 arrived via UPS quickly and in great shape...I guess I've been lucky.