Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

It looks like BBV is slipping (WS vs. P&S)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work part-time at Blockbuster, so I always have a really good idea of what versions of what DVDs we have. Plus, I'm the Monday night "put the new movies out for Tuesday morning" guy, so the DVDs are in my face every week.

For a while now, they've been really consistent with getting the widescreen version on DVD when two choices were available:

A.I., Spy Game, American Pie 1 & 2, Murder By Numbers, Death to Smoochy, FOTR, Ocean's 11, Scorpion King, Mummy Returns, The Rookie, Beautiful Mind, Queen of the Damned, Harry Potter, Showtime

OK, you get the idea. Very consistent. Now, we've had two in a row show up in the P&S version:
Insomnia and Scooby Doo. And I think we're scheduled to receive Mr. Deeds in P&S also.

Oh, boy. BBV is slipping back into the Dark Side of OAR. And the worst part is that I can't purchase these previously viewed, because they're the crap version.

Bastards.

Last edited by Professor Frink; 10-15-02 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-15-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At my favorite video store I get so pumped to see a title I want in the used section only to be disappointed to it's P&S. All we can do is keep harping on them but truth be told, the clientelle tells them what to get and the clientelle is rapidly becoming J6P
Old 10-15-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, saw this at the local store today. Very, very dissapointing. They had only pan and scan for another dual release also, it just escapes me at the moment.
Old 10-15-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I also fear, full-screen is taking over. Damn J6P!!! "Duh...I don't want dem black bars cutting off the top and bottom of the picture"

I went to CC in the afternoon to buy Insomnia. NOTHING but full-screen on the shelf and in the box on the floor. I asked for wide-screen, and the nice lady smiled and said "You're the 1st one today to ask for widescreen. Let me check the back" It was 2:45pm...

Dean
Old 10-16-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last night (with the kids finally in bed) my wife and I sat down to enjoy our first glimpse of Insomnia...

Needless to say it only took about 5 seconds of credits for the foul language to flow from my lips.

In 1 1/2 minutes I was back in street cloths and on my way to BBV to exchange for the W/S version.

But alas there was no W/S to be had so I graded Enough (a W/S & F/S release) and was on my way.

I was sooooo pissed!

This is definitely not good.

It's funny cuz BBV just recently figured out how to get me to spend money at there stores (10 Rental Card with Free DVD)
but this would throw that all out the window.

Old 10-16-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If we have to sacrifice disc-art and extras to have both versions on the same disc, so be it. This is what happens when the studios release seperate versions.
Old 10-16-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally found this thread. I was about to start one.

What is up with BBV??? Why can't they decide what version they want to carry? First it was WS, then FS, then back to WS, now its back to FS again. Why can't they just carry both versions??!!! If they continue this trend of FS only then I will not be renting there anymore. Glad I didn't buy the Spiderman card yet...
Old 10-16-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by moocher
Finally found this thread. I was about to start one.

What is up with BBV??? Why can't they decide what version they want to carry? First it was WS, then FS, then back to WS, now its back to FS again. Why can't they just carry both versions??!!! If they continue this trend of FS only then I will not be renting there anymore. Glad I didn't buy the Spiderman card yet...
I'm With You!

This is suck!

No Spiderman Rental Card for me!
Old 10-16-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sucks went there to rent this tonight and just stare at all the full screen. i rented something else and asked if they had any widescreen of it, she said no they got sent all full screens. i went to hollywood to rent it but they were all out. wonder if they are all full screen there too.
Old 10-18-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Gsuscryst
sucks went there to rent this tonight and just stare at all the full screen. i rented something else and asked if they had any widescreen of it, she said no they got sent all full screens. i went to hollywood to rent it but they were all out. wonder if they are all full screen there too.
At the Hollywood video here, they are all WS.

Plus, you get the 99 cent early return bonus.

Give them your business
Old 10-18-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I say if J6P wants P&S then let him keep buying VHS.
Old 10-19-02, 11:53 PM
Banned

Well we may as well throw in my current employer while are at it. Lately we been getting more and more P& S releases for rent and sale.

Among the current movies we have for rent are : Murder By Numbers,Insomia, Scooby Doo, Death to Smoochy, FOTR, Ocean's 11, Scorpion King, Mummy Returns, The Rookie, Beautiful Mind, Queen of the Damned, Harry Potter, Showtime

Upcomuing releaese include for me in P&S are Mr.Deeds(this week) and Star Wars Episode 2:Attack of the Clones!

It seems that lately J6P has too much buying power with stores and rental chains. If J6P wants P&S just keep on buying VHS, while they can.
Old 10-19-02, 11:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
I also fear, full-screen is taking over. Damn J6P!!! "Duh...I don't want dem black bars cutting off the top and bottom of the picture"

I went to CC in the afternoon to buy Insomnia. NOTHING but full-screen on the shelf and in the box on the floor. I asked for wide-screen, and the nice lady smiled and said "You're the 1st one today to ask for widescreen. Let me check the back" It was 2:45pm...

Dean
I know how that clerk feels.When Scooby Doo came out , only 1 person asked me for the widescreen.While all the J6P rushed to buy the "Full Screen" DVD.
Old 10-21-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

J6P Must Die!!!