Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Which online stores ship before release date?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-10-02, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of ordering XXX (Vin Diesel) for someone for christmas but I don't know what stores ship them so they arrive before release date. When I was in the UK there were online stores that could get DVD's two weeks before release date for example last year I got The fast and the furious for christmas when it was released in Jan. So any ideas which online store will get me XXX before Christmas?
Old 10-10-02, 11:12 PM

Deep Discount DVD has almost always shipped prereleases to me the Wednesday before release date, and I usually get them that Saturday.
Old 10-13-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way will DeepDiscountDVD get you a DVD six days before release date. Not even if you live in Illinois or wherever they're located. If it has to be a Christmas present, you're more likely to find it on a store shelf a week early, that's pretty much the most surefire way to get it early. Even then, though, you'll have to get lucky.
Old 10-13-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I purchased Beauty and the Beast DVD from DDD on 9/23. Got an email from DDD a week later that stated they shipped the DVD on 10/2, even though the DVD has the release date of 10/8. The DVD showed up on my mailbox on 10/10, 2 days after the release date.

So to answer your question, DDD does ship pre-release early. But because their shipping is so slow, it ended up showing up after the release date anyways.
Old 10-16-02, 06:31 PM

I've ordered lots of DVDs from Deep Discount and usually receive them on the Saturday (or more likely) the Monday before street date. (I live in Indiana, one state over from where they are shipped.)

There are many exceptions of course. I pre-ordered EXODUS & THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING and they were shipped on the Wed. BEFORE street date, but didn't arrive until today, one week after they were shipped or one day AFTER street date. Of course the Monday holiday may have had something to do with it.

I pre-ordered FRAILTY and it went out the Thursday before street date and took two weeks to the day to arrive or 9 days AFTER street date.

Of course, these are the exceptions. But don't fully expect your DVDs to show up before street date just because they were shipped early!

Overall, I'm still very pleased with Deep Discount.
Old 10-16-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have had great luck from DVDEmpire on getting DVDs before release date. They ship them the Friday before release and I have them on Monday.

I wouldn't rely on Deep Discount unless you upgrade to priority mail shipping. I very rarely get anything from them early or on time with their free media mail shipping.
Old 10-17-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
I used to recieve my DDD orders on the Saturday before release date. Now that I've changed states, the date varies. Beauty & the Beast shipped the Thursday before and I got it that Tuesday. Just got an email from them saying Star Trek 3 shipped yesterday so we'll see when it arrives.

Whenever I ordered from Playcentric I recieved them before the release date. Haven't ordered from them since I moved so I have no idea if that's still true.
Old 10-18-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
My experiences with DVD Empire have been great. Always early and never late. (I believe they are located in PA.)

My experiences with Deep Discount have always been late a week to a couple of weeks late. (This is media mail so upgrading may help.) (I believe that they are in IL.)

(I'm in CA.)