Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Platinum Visa

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Platinum Visa

Old 10-10-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon Platinum Visa

Does anyone have an Amazon.com Platinum Visa? I've been considering getting one because their rates are low. How many perks do you get in ordering through their site with this card?
Old 10-10-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 point per dollar spent
3 points per dollar spent @ Amazon

It's a pretty good deal. Not great, not crappy. If you buy alot at Amazon (I DO) It's worth it.

I have a question now:

Where do you view your points on the bankone.com/amazon web site. I can't find where my points are listed.

I tried to do a search before but I wasn't getting any results. I don't know why maybe Static Cling suspended my account. He's always on my case Don't know.
Old 10-11-02, 01:55 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know if the Amazon Platinum Visa provides any kind of rental car insurance coverage?
Old 10-11-02, 03:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If anyone gets the $20 gift cert. after the first purchase let me know. I am curious as to how long it takes. How do they issue the gift cert. anyway? Email, regular mail? I was under the impression the only way to see your points was on your monthly statement and they automatically send you your gift cert.
Old 10-11-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm probably going to go for it. It was a toss-up between the eBay Plat Visa or the Amazon, and the Amazon had a lower APR and lower late fees, as well.
Old 10-11-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my amazon platnum card on monday and i was kind of shocked that they gave me a nice credit limit and a nice low APR. Im going to use it for pretty much all my purchase wether it be at amazon or other places so the points should add up. Plus a few people in my family order stuff from amazon all the time. Expecially for x-mas presents so ill just let them put it on my card and get the triple points :-) Hopefully the $20 for signing up and the few rewards i will get from points will help pay for most of a x-box by the end of the year.

Also if you want to know your point total you can e-mail them and they will tell you, but otherwise they auto send the certificates. Plus they also told me what my APR was since nothing in the envelope with the CC told me

Capt
Old 10-11-02, 11:53 PM

I just got a new Amazon Platinum credit card. Can someone point me to a link on Amazon.com web site that talk about this points system in more detail?

Also, does anyone know if I use the Amazon.com credit card on amazon.ca, is it worth triple points or just single points?
Old 10-12-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, 1000 points equals a $10 gift certificate? The documentation that came with my card today didn't say a darn thing except for my credit limit and crap about their program to charge me more money to protect myself from unexpected inability to make payments.
Old 10-15-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I thought it was 2500 points gets you a $25 gift certificate.

Basically you get 1% back on your purchases, but since Amazon purchases are triple points, you get 3% back on them.

I get 1% back on my Discover, but it's doubled when I redeem it, so I'm really getting 2% back. Plus they run specials like 7% back on BN.com purchases.

I'll use the Amazon card for Amazon purchases, everything else goes on Discover. I pay them off each month, so APR doesn't concern me.
Old 10-15-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah its 2500 points gets you a $25 gift cert.

Yeah the dont tell you anything when you get the card. I e-mailed them to find out my APR and about the points. Also i have to call and make sure the first 6 months is 0% APR

capt
Old 10-16-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by CaptDS9E
Yeah its 2500 points gets you a $25 gift cert.

Yeah the dont tell you anything when you get the card. I e-mailed them to find out my APR and about the points. Also i have to call and make sure the first 6 months is 0% APR

capt
I just got one of these cards 3 weeks ago and they gave me 0% for a year! Call em back and reconfirm what you're getting!!
Old 10-16-02, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by RevLiver

I get 1% back on my Discover, but it's doubled when I redeem it, so I'm really getting 2% back. Plus they run specials like 7% back on BN.com purchases.
I think Discover's 1% is not a flat 1%. That is, it depends on the amount of your purchase for a particular month, it could be as high as 1% back. But in my case, I don't usually buy enough stuff to make it to 1% with Discover. So a flat 1% back could be worth a bit more for other people who also don't make enough purchase each month to get to 1% bracket.
Old 10-16-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by mookiemeister
I think Discover's 1% is not a flat 1%. That is, it depends on the amount of your purchase for a particular month, it could be as high as 1% back. But in my case, I don't usually buy enough stuff to make it to 1% with Discover. So a flat 1% back could be worth a bit more for other people who also don't make enough purchase each month to get to 1% bracket.
This is true. It's 0.25% for the first $1500, 0.50% for the next $1500 and 1% for everything over $3000. It resets every year on your cardmember anniversary.

However, the 7% back at BN.com and the fact that they double it when you redeem, make it well worth it for me. Surprisingly, I've found many CDs at BN.com priced below local stores. Yeah, their DVD prices aren't so hot, but I collect CDs as well.

And since I just spent $900 on a mountain bike and equipment and $2500 on online classes, I'm over the $3000 threshold. Basically, I put everything on Discover. Gas, food, bills, everything. I pay it off every month, so no interest, get my cash back, redeem for Borders gift cards and have fewer bills to pay each month.

YMMV

Last edited by RevLiver; 10-16-02 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It should be noted that the Discover rewards only double when you redeem at one of their partners. You can't get cash and get the doubling effect.

As far as the Amazon VISA goes, as with their other cards, First USA doesn't have anything online which enables you to view your points balance. (i.e. Cash Rewards, Amazon points, etc.)

Side Note:
It is interesting how much Amazon is promoting their VISA card this time. They must have realized that by having consumers receive extra benefits by purchasing on Amazon's site they will get a more "loyal" customer and hence increase revenues... The gift certificates are ancillary since they put the cash back into the company and will likely be used on bigger purchases.
Old 10-23-02, 12:55 PM

Did anyone received any GC yet? Also how do you go about collecting/ordering your GC?
Old 10-23-02, 10:49 PM

^
Old 10-24-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not yet - but they often take weeks to get things like that out.
Old 10-24-02, 07:21 PM

Regarding the Amazon.com credit card, I just received a postal letter from them saying that they are switching from Bank One to First USA Bank. And that I should be getting a new credit card in a while and destroy the old card. Has anyone receive a letter like this? And does anyone know if the new bank will honor the $20 Amazon GC? Or will we be out of the $20 GC now that the credit card is no longer backed by Bank One?

Last edited by mookiemeister; 10-24-02 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-24-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mookiemeister
Regarding the Amazon.com credit card, I just received a postal letter from them saying that they are switching from Bank One to First USA Bank. And that I should be getting a new credit card in a while and destroy the old card. Has anyone receive a letter like this? And does anyone know if the new bank will honor the $20 Amazon GC? Or will we be out of the $20 GC now that the credit card is no longer backed by Bank One?
Very good questions. I got the same letter today. Interesting how they covered up the change by claiming it was the lack of a "welcome kit" that was the problem.
Old 10-25-02, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by Seeker
Very good questions. I got the same letter today. Interesting how they covered up the change by claiming it was the lack of a "welcome kit" that was the problem.
I'm relieved that someone else already receive the same letter. When I got the letter and read it, I was like 'what the heck is this?' The letter also say something about fees and finance charges that will be assessed to my account. What the heck is that?
Old 10-25-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I called the toll free # and the CSR told me that the new card will have the same number as my old card and to just disregard this notice. Apparently, this change-over will not affect any of my amazon pre-orders....

guess we'll all just see....
Old 10-25-02, 01:57 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got the same crap letter. I thought it was FirstUSA switching to its parent company BankOne?
Old 10-25-02, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by eau
Got the same crap letter. I thought it was FirstUSA switching to its parent company BankOne?
Well, I don't know which bank is which. All I know is that the Amazon.com credit card I got in my hand has Bank One written on the back of the card. The letter I receive was from First USA Bank telling me that I didn't get their welcome package. You do the math, and tell me which bank is amazon switching to.
Old 10-25-02, 07:28 AM

I have another Credit Card with First USA. The letter I received said that "For years FIRST USA...has been part of Bank One...." and my credit card will change from FIRST USA to Bank One. The letter goes on to say that during the transition I may receive information under both the First USA and Bank One names for some time.

So I wouldn't worry about the two different names...it appears they are still the same bank.
Old 10-25-02, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by victant
I called the toll free # and the CSR told me that the new card will have the same number as my old card and to just disregard this notice. Apparently, this change-over will not affect any of my amazon pre-orders....

guess we'll all just see....
Same thing with me. I was a bit angry when I called just thinking about changing all my preorders to yet another different credit card. Thankfully, I can just enjoy destroying one of them, knowing that the card number will be the same.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.