Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

CDNOW ruined my life!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, maybe that's slight hyperbole, but MAN OH MAN am I pissed! I pre-ordered the single from Ryan Adams' new album, titled Nuclear, knowing that it was to be deleted from the catalogue the day after its release.

Only this morning did CDNOW send me an e-mail telling me that my order had been cancelled because they were unable to get the cd from their distributor. Um, couldn't this small matter have been brought to my attention BEFORE I ordered and expected the cd from them?

What's more, I phoned CDNOW to ask them what happened, and the associate was rude TO ME! He told me the exact thing that the e-mail said and basically washed his hands of it, saying "Well we can't do anything about it." When I said, "Why couldn't you have brought that to my attention BEFORE I ordered it"? he replied that they didn't know.

So whose fault is this? It was advertised EVERYWHERE that the single was going to be deleted the day following its release, and as a seller, how could they not know?

At any rate, I am finished with CDNOW. This was to be my first purchase, and it will be (or will not be) my last. The rest of you might want to think twice about ordering from them in the future, just for a heads up.

Okay, maybe my life isn't ruined at all, but I sure am mad about this. I don't know where I'll find the single now.
Old 09-23-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I'm sure you can find it on eBay.

Let me ask you this...[and mind you I am speaking as a fellow music fan...]

IF this single was rare and as important to you as it seems from your post, why didn't you buy it at a B&M or a "mom & pop's"? When it comes to stuff that i'm THAT serious about, I make sure I do what I need to get it. Online, sometimes, just doesn't cut it.

But that's just me...

Good luck in finding it. If I come across it in my travels, i'll post it here.
Old 09-23-02, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
I'm sure you can find it on eBay.

Let me ask you this...[and mind you I am speaking as a fellow music fan...]

IF this single was rare and as important to you as it seems from your post, why didn't you buy it at a B&M or a "mom & pop's"? When it comes to stuff that i'm THAT serious about, I make sure I do what I need to get it. Online, sometimes, just doesn't cut it.

But that's just me...

Good luck in finding it. If I come across it in my travels, i'll post it here.
I ordered it from there because the Ryan Adams official site said it would be available from CDNOW. I wouldn't have gotten it at one of those places because I wasn't sure it would be available around here. Ryan Adams isn't really a sellout singer in Alabama.

Thanks for looking for it, too.
Old 09-23-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stopped ordering from them two years ago. Haven't looked back since.
Old 09-23-02, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are you pissed off at CDNOW! It's not their fault, it's the distributor fault, maybe even the labels fault for not shipping the product to the retailer. To be perfectly honest with you, why would a performer make a cd that was only available for 1 day. If you ask me, the performer had to ride that little yelllow bus to school (probably still rides it to concerts).
Old 09-23-02, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by dvde
Why are you pissed off at CDNOW! It's not their fault, it's the distributor fault, maybe even the labels fault for not shipping the product to the retailer. To be perfectly honest with you, why would a performer make a cd that was only available for 1 day. If you ask me, the performer had to ride that little yelllow bus to school (probably still rides it to concerts).

It IS their fault, at least partially. They should neither advertise nor confirm sales on items they are not even sure they will have. If I knew the single would be deleted the day after its release, couldn't they have figured that out and done some talking with the distributor? Even if they are not FULLY to blame, they definitely carry enough of the responsibility for me never to order from them again.

No comment on your value judgment of one of my favorite singer/songwriters. Except to say that I'm not going to comment on it.
Old 09-24-02, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Hmmm... I'll have to see what came in at Border's last night. I know I put out his new album.....

Have to check the singles section today. I had not heard of this release and subsequent deletion.
Old 09-24-02, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by speedy1961
Hmmm... I'll have to see what came in at Border's last night. I know I put out his new album.....

Have to check the singles section today. I had not heard of this release and subsequent deletion.

It was only supposed to be out for one day.
Old 09-24-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Penny Lane
It was only supposed to be out for one day.
Speaking from experience, I think that is quite impossible.

If the stores order say 30 copies and put them out today, if they don't sell all 30 that day[say, in a Ryan-less market ], the remaining amount will be there the following day and the following day and so on until the initial order is gone.

On the other hand...if retailers are allowed to only order ONCE that's a different story.
Old 09-24-02, 03:30 PM

Speaking from experience, I think that is quite impossible.

If the stores order say 30 copies and put them out today, if they don't sell all 30 that day[say, in a Ryan-less market ], the remaining amount will be there the following day and the following day and so on until the initial order is gone.

On the other hand...if retailers are allowed to only order ONCE that's a different story.
http://www.nme.com/news/102707.htm

This is one of the many articles about the single's release and subsequent deletion. There are many different takes on what this means that are circulationg around, from "it will be released on the 16th and pulled off the shelves" to "it has a very limited availability." The failure of (I guess) Lost Highway Records to define exactly what is meant by "delete" in this occasion, may have caused confusion and conflicting opinions as to what that means.
Apparently, some detailers are not allowed to order at all, hence my complaint that started this thread.
Old 09-24-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Man that's some shady s*it. Is Prince his agent?

How 'bout this...are you a casual fan? or do you belong to any RA clubs? Perhaps a RA NG [if one exists] could help out? I know some artist fan communities [DMB, Tori Amos] are cool like that.

And then there are the others [Prince]...
Old 09-24-02, 05:28 PM

Man that's some shady s*it. Is Prince his agent?

How 'bout this...are you a casual fan? or do you belong to any RA clubs? Perhaps a RA NG [if one exists] could help out? I know some artist fan communities [DMB, Tori Amos] are cool like that.

And then there are the others [Prince]...
There isn't one, that I know of. I'm going to see what I can do about it, though. I do know some other fans. Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-25-02, 09:14 PM
Cool New Member

Sounds like this singer/songwriter has a massive ego....
And you cannot fault cdnow for this due to the nature of the release and extremely limited availability of it. If there's anyone to blame, it's the record company, distributor, artist responsible for such a gimmick
Old 09-29-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So he wants you to buy his new album and listen to his music, but if you're not up to going to the store that day he doesn't care if you buy his music? What a weird thing.

Anyhow, that sucks CDNow cancelled your order, I hate when I try to cancel pre-orders from them weeks in advance and they go through and I hated ordering Election from Overstock only to get Levitation. Sometimes, it just sucks...