Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

best stores to pre-order from?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the best stores to pre-order dvd's from, in terms of when the dvd arrives (if its on the release date or early), price, etc? I was thinking about pre-ordering some titles so I don't have to go to best buy during the christmas season.
Old 09-19-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD Empire
Old 09-19-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like DVD Empire, BestBuy.com (Only if it has a DC), and I pre-ordered Monsters, Inc. from disneystore.com just for the Lithos and that arrived on release day.
Old 09-19-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will also throw in my support for DVD Empire. Good prices, free shipping, and getting orders on or before release date. Also I have never had any problems with them compared to many with Amazon and a few with Deepdiscountdvd.
Old 09-19-02, 01:50 PM

Another vote for Empire and DDD. I used to go with Amazon, but they've gotten really bad about getting something out the door (sometimes a week or more after street before it even ships.) The impression I get with DDD is they ship as soon as their stock arives, so sometimes it can come pretty early. I've had good luck too with CDNow coming by street date, but they're usually more pricey.
Old 09-20-02, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

normally i go through amazon, but they have started getting really bad about shipping in a timely fashion like a previous poster said. after the rush of the fall i will have to take restock of where i want to order stuff from.
Old 09-20-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amazon for me. I don't need my DVDs the day they come out (not being sarcastic, I just don't care if I get it a few days later), and Amazon has a warehouse a couple hours away, so whatever DVDs they ship usually arrive in 2 days anyway.

With the coupons, share the love, and free shipping, the most customizable website and order history, and the best service (in my opinion), it's a no brainer unless I find an unusually low price elsewhere or I have gift certificates. And for the big releases (Monsters Inc, etc) I don't even think twice anymore: I get it at BB or CC or Wal-Mart.
Old 09-20-02, 04:32 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon for me, especially when I have STL and $5 off $35 coupon and free shipping.
Old 09-20-02, 07:13 PM

I'll have to try DVD Empire. I really love getting the discs before street day.
Old 09-22-02, 05:21 PM

CDNOW has always been good for me, pre-order wise...get it before street, plus 30% off ain't bad, either.
Old 10-01-02, 09:30 PM

I've been with Amazon for a few years now, and I've had to cancel my last two pre-orders with them because they weren't shipping even several days after the release date. My latest pre-order wasn't estimated to be shipped until several days after release. Amazon used to ship the weekend before release, or sometimes the following Monday or Tuesday (actual release date), so I would get it during the same week at the latest.

I canceled my latest order today, and submitted it to DVD Empire based on the talk on this forum. My order was about $7-8 cheaper, and if they deliver quickly, I guess I'll have a new DVD vendor.

What is going on with them??

Last edited by dirj1; 10-01-02 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-02-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dirj1

I canceled my latest order today, and submitted it to DVD Empire based on the talk on this forum. My order was about $7-8 cheaper, and if they deliver quickly, I guess I'll have a new DVD vendor.

My experience with DVDEmpire is they ship preorders the Friday before release and they usually arrive on Monday or 1 day before official release date. With items in stock I have had them ship a few hours after placing an order. Also I like their free shipping offer better than Amazon's or DDD since they are using Priority mail instead of Media.
Old 10-02-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I usually go with CDNow. They always get it to me by the street date, and I can usually round up some type of online coupon or deal somewhere...
Old 10-02-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

amazon.ca has been amazing in both price and delivery speed for me. I have ordered the Sopranos, Are You Being Served box set, and the Young Ones all from them over the past few weeks and they all were shipped on the day they came out and were at my door on Thursday. And their prices cannot be beat, especially for box sets. Sopranos, for example, was 58.00 shipped after the currency conversion. I also have gotten amazingly low prices on the Are You Being Served set, as well as on the Dr Who Key to Time set, prices that other retailers cannot match. If you HAVE to have your stuff on Tuesday the day it comes out, then go to Best Buy, but you certainly don't have to wait long with amazon.ca.

Just thought I'd give a shout out about the store, tho. It doesn't show up on searches at dvdpricesearch.com, but they often beat even the best deals at dvdpricesearch. And for Babylon 5 fans, you can pick your DVD set up for about fifty dollars from amazon.ca.
Old 10-02-02, 03:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
When I do free shipping with DVDEmpire I have to buy 4 titles, and then they hold the entire thing until everything is released. Is everyone else getting partial shipments with the free shipping option?
Old 10-02-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RonG617
When I do free shipping with DVDEmpire I have to buy 4 titles, and then they hold the entire thing until everything is released. Is everyone else getting partial shipments with the free shipping option?
They do the same thing with my orders. You do have the choice of having items shipped when they are available but you lose free shipping. I try to group four DVDs with the same release date or dates as close as possible to get free shipping.
Old 10-04-02, 02:37 PM

Best buy for me, besides digital coupons, they also price adjust to match their b&m's which most of the time have the best price for new releases. Also free shipping.
Old 10-08-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDPlanet