Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is DVD Soon a Fly-by-night?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their site is down at the moment, and I just ordered Outer Limits from them. Has anyone had a good experience so I won't panic?
Old 09-12-02, 04:09 PM

I ordered Smallville about a month ago and had no problem at all. Hope that helps.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like Gilda Radner once said

Never Mind!

It's back up now
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check the store forum thread. This question is probably asked once a week in here. Some people have good luck some have bad it is just like any other store just remember they charge your credit card right away. (thought I would beat all you naysayers to the punch) I have had nothing but good dealing with them.

Last edited by teddydogg; 09-12-02 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-12-02, 04:10 PM

I've had great service with DVDSoon and have done most of my preordering with their. Packages always arrive only 2 days after they're shipped! I've got no complaints.
Old 09-12-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For me it has been great so far. One thing I like about them besides their low prices is that for every $10.00 you spend you get $1 credit towards your next order.
Old 09-12-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 910 Likes on 553 Posts
I've had one shipment that I cancelled due to the item (a preorder) not being available stilll a month after its release date. Other than that, orders have arrived in a timely fashion. Many have reported orders breaking street-date by 1-2 weeks - not my experience yet, but the possibility is out there!
Old 09-12-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts
If you're ordering one new or two new releases and they happen to have them in stock, you'll generally recieve them in about a week. However, I've placed several multi-item orders in order to save on postage and the results have been mixed at best. I ordered two of the "Original Outer Limits" sets and the release date keeps getting set back a week. I've also had two orders held up for a long period by one "on order" item (though you can get around that by cancelling the item or splitting the order, though you have to sacrifice some store credit to do that. I recently placed what I thought was a "fool-proof" order by only ordering items listed as "on hand", but when the order went through, it turns out that one item wasn't as "on hand" as they said it was. Also, they never, -or rarely, anyway, -seem to answer e-mail. Their prices are great, and if they'd just improve their service about 25%, I'd throw the bulk of my business there. Right now, they remain any "iffy" proposition...
Old 09-13-02, 05:05 AM

Whats bothering me the most is that it takes almost a week before they ship on hands orders. Just a couple of weeks ago it took a couple of days. Stopped recieving order and shipping mails aswell. Only get those tracking mails from candada post.
Old 09-13-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the feedback

You guys are great
Old 09-13-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
It's funny how for the past MONTHS people keep asking, is this legit, is this a fly-by-night, etc

Very happy customer here.
Old 09-13-02, 06:21 PM

Hi

I placed my first pre-order with DVDSoon.com on August 13 for 4 titles (including 2 large boxed sets) to total more than $200.00 CAD in order to qualify for free purgolator (?!) international shipping.

I won't generally buy from companies that charge your credit card as soon as you place your order but as it was August 13 and all the DVDs were due for release on August 27 I decided to go ahead.

Now I'm regretting breaking my own rule. My order status has see-sawed from being listed as all on pre-order, to some on hand, to all on hand, to some back ordered, to some on order (no date available) and some on hand!

It is now September 12 and my order has still not shipped.

The thought ocurred to me that perhaps this is some sort of scam where DVDSoon has the use of your money for a period of time until you get fed up and cancel the order.

Maybe they need all these pre-order credit card billings in order to pay for stock.

I'm inclined to cancel my order, but on principle, I feel that I need to hang in there a while longer to at least see if I can recover something from the situation. I also understand that it takes a while for the refund to be paid to your credit card as well.

Mark
Old 09-13-02, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts
Now "The Outer Limits" box is listed as "On Order", though I understand this is the same situation with all the Canadian dealers. Also, since my last post to this thread, two titles that were "on hand" have now changed to "on order". People ask if this company is legit, because their prices are so compelling: they're usually the lowest price on every comparison list on every item. However, I find myself leaning towards alternative dealers for most of my future items. Saving a bundle on items you never receive is not a bargain...
Old 09-14-02, 03:48 AM

mrowley: just a tip, if your order is not higher then cad225 then it will only be shipped with ordinary airmail not purolator (2day express).
Old 09-15-02, 12:14 AM

They must have changed this deal.

When I placed the order it was an upgrade to purolater for over CAD$ 200.00

Mark

Last edited by mrowley; 09-16-02 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-17-02, 04:27 PM

Update.

I decided to go for partial shipping and low and behold my first two on hand titles shipped yesterday and the back ordered two titles, previously "on order, no date available" shipped the next day.

So much for free purolater shipping!