Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Wholesalers?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVD Wholesalers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Wholesalers?

Ive been considering getting a resellers license so that I could buy DVDs from wholesalers and sell on Ebay/Half.com/etc. I was wondering where I could find some good wholesalers. What Ive found through google and yahoo was, well, crap, or either adult dvds. Id rather stick with non-adult titles :-). Im sure there are some people that can share some info here with me, right?
Old 08-30-02, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most good distributors will make sure your a legitimate company by making sure you dont operate from your house. They actually require you to prove your a business in a commercial area, usually from the leaser. This process is not with all of them, but the ones that give you a decent price usually will.
Old 08-31-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dvde
Most good distributors will make sure your a legitimate company by making sure you dont operate from your house. They actually require you to prove your a business in a commercial area, usually from the leaser. This process is not with all of them, but the ones that give you a decent price usually will.
This is not true. If he gets a business license and sets up a company, a distributor can not turn him away because of the way he sells the product or where he sells the product from (unless the manufacturer stipulates where and how the product can be sold to begin with.) However, the distributor may turn him down because he orders too small of an amount of a product or he failed to pass their credit guidelines (if he pays cash up front for each order, that should take care of that problem.) Some distributors may not deal with customers who don't order less than 500 units at a time, or some other number.

The problem you will run into doing this is that if you only buy a few at a time you'll find out that most larger stores actually sell DVD's at the price you will be buying them from the distributors, or even less. If an MSRP is $29.99 you may be buying it from the distributor at $27.99 while Target is selling it for $24.99. Target buys thousands of the same title at a time, their cost is going to be much lower than yours and they will drive you out of business quickly.
Old 08-31-02, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by renaldow

This is not true. If he gets a business license and sets up a company, a distributor can not turn him away because of the way he sells the product or where he sells the product from (unless the manufacturer stipulates where and how the product can be sold to begin with.) However, the distributor may turn him down because he orders too small of an amount of a product or he failed to pass their credit guidelines (if he pays cash up front for each order, that should take care of that problem.) Some distributors may not deal with customers who don't order less than 500 units at a time, or some other number.
WRONG!!! I have been in this business for over 12 years. I've worked for major distributors in management and have owned my own stores. Like I said in my previous post any distributor that is WORTH (<--KEY WORD!) using will require that your not a GARAGE operation. As for your comment they have to sell to you if you have a permit or license, were in the world did you get this lame idea. You obviously have no clue what your talking about! I'm done wasting my time.
Old 08-31-02, 03:20 PM

dvde: Assuming you are correct about distributors which, based upon my own research, you are. Why do the distributors care where or how you operate? I mean if you can meet their minimum order requirement and their credit requirements what difference does it make to them?

I'm asking this as a legitimate question. I have a resellers license (just got recently) and am interested in selling DVDs, but have found it very difficult to find a distributor that does not require previous distributor references, proof of a physical store etc. I know that not all industries are like this. The primary reason for getting a resellers license was to start an internet based business with my wife selling craft supplies and I have found many places that have no problem with the fact that I will operate from my home.
Old 08-31-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dvde, mellow out.

I'll take your word for it due to your experience. Up until last year I worked for a now extinct digital music company and part of my job was content acquisition. My posting was based on what the distributors I dealt with at the time had told me, and what our company lawyers had as well (Not easy to find distributors who will sell to a company that digitizes and then sells the same product they are.)
Old 09-02-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Renaldow is correct. Check with just about any mom and pop video store and you will find that most of them shop at the mass merchants. Distributors are quickly disappearing because most studios handle the major accounts direct (in house) and most smaller accounts are vanishing.

I am not saying that distributors are never cheaper, but most of the time it is cheaper to buy from a retailer who bought direct from the studio. Why pay the middleman mark-up? Case in point, a certain distributor usually sells their Disney titles (this was VHS, but same point to be made) for around $18. Same price, if not a tad more than a good sale at a big box retailer.

Old 09-02-02, 06:26 PM
Cool New Member

Go to www.btol.com